Thank you Alex McLeish - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Thank you Alex McLeish

Rolling hIlls

18 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Guy got screwed over by a referee the 1st time round in November 2017.  (Italy Free kick)

Thanks for getting us into the play offs which might be our best chance.

Do people not realise that we needed more than a draw to qualify that day? 

20 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

not Bonny - he is a bore/troll. 

If I recall correctly a draw would have put significantly more pressure on Italy and France going into their last game. Italy would still have beaten Faroes in their last game but with us on 25 points (after the draw with Italy) then France would have needed to avoid losing to Ukraine in the last game as our head to head with France was better. France struggled to a 2-2 draw to Ukraine which would have made it redundant if we did draw with Italy but you wonder if hypothetically needing at least draw would have seen them perform differently. I doubt it - they would probably have won with a canter. 

Grasping at straws over the fall out of a inept/corrupt decision - which was one of the worst I have seen tbh. 

3 hours ago, Rolling hIlls said:

For all you have given Scottish football. You have left with your usual standards. Dignity. You are a legend and always will be. Scotland Forever.

McLeish is a decent guy but in terms of what he has given the game here, I would question if the welfare of Scottish football or the national team were high up in his thinking.  

36 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

yes but was still a disgrace.

just rememebered mclesh was in charge when we lost to Georgia.      I withdraw my thanks from 2007.

Still happy with the play off

A superb player.  Gained 50+ caps and in Hall of Fame.

Qualification Group for Euro 2008 was the most fun I have had as a fan.  Walter Smith got us started and McLeish pushed on.  Despite failing game v Italy still gives me goose bumps and a lump in my throat.

Got us in Nations League Play Offs.

Georgia, Ukraine, France, Italy, Albania, Israel home were all amazingly exciting games.

France away 2007 "c'est magnifique"

17 minutes ago, Alan said:

A superb player.  Gained 50+ caps and in Hall of Fame.

Qualification Group for Euro 2008 was the most fun I have had as a fan.  Walter Smith got us started and McLeish pushed on.  Despite failing game v Italy still gives me goose bumps and a lump in my throat.

Got us in Nations League Play Offs.

Georgia, Ukraine, France, Italy, Albania, Israel home were all amazingly exciting games.

France away 2007 "c'est magnifique"

Can't disagree with you on this.  No doubt normal service will be resumed soon though. 😉

1 hour ago, Return of Yermaw said:

not Bonny - he is a bore/troll. 

If I recall correctly a draw would have put significantly more pressure on Italy and France going into their last game. Italy would still have beaten Faroes in their last game but with us on 25 points (after the draw with Italy) then France would have needed to avoid losing to Ukraine in the last game as our head to head with France was better. France struggled to a 2-2 draw to Ukraine which would have made it redundant if we did draw with Italy but you wonder if hypothetically needing at least draw would have seen them perform differently. I doubt it - they would probably have won with a canter. 

Grasping at straws over the fall out of a inept/corrupt decision - which was one of the worst I have seen tbh. 

If we had won in Georgia, I think Italy would have played for a draw at Hampden; which would have f*cked France over (only a year after the Zidane/Materazzi incident).

Italy and us would have qualified.

2 minutes ago, Rich NATA said:

If we had won in Georgia, I think Italy would have played for a draw at Hampden; which would have f*cked France over (only a year after the Zidane/Materazzi incident).

Italy and us would have qualified.

If.  That should be our national motto!!  Some on here with Bile towards McLeish and showing their true colours.  The man tried his best at every level for club and country.  So mock him if some of you will.  It won't be me.  And I have met him personally but that is not clouding my judgement.  Easy to criticise from a keyboard when you have never actually achieved anything.  I am proud of McLeish and all he has achieved.  Time now to get someone new in but have the same dignity McLeish has shown then you will be better people for it.  The prick that started a thread called 'yeeeees'.  Fanny.

34 minutes ago, Alan said:

:love: Tough luck about your court case v Kez

No score draw I think.  Not a great look for Dugdale that she was wrong but got off with it because she was too stupid to realise what she was saying.

I was not criticising McLeish; I was just saying what I think would have happened back then; an assessment of the finale of that qualification campaign, if you like.

Had we had those 3 Georgia points, I genuinely believe Italy would have played for a draw with us...

... to f*ck France over the Zidane/Materazzi incident and also to eliminate a major rival in the finals (Euro 2008, was it?)

On 4/18/2019 at 1:03 PM, Rolling hIlls said:

For all you have given Scottish football. You have left with your usual standards. Dignity. You are a legend and always will be. Scotland Forever.

Thanks for nothing and good riddance.

Yes I agree a quality player for Scotland who never pulled out of internationals despite a heavy club schedule - but that is completely irrelevant to what has gone on in the last year.

What usual standards?

He took Birmingham from a mid table Premiership side to the Championship where they still remain today. Rather than stay and fight with his players he bailed out to their City rivals Villa  - for £1 million pounds - who soon plummeted to the danger zone before the fans forced him out. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/9068322/Aston-Villa-fans-urged-to-protest-against-manager-Alex-McLeish-ahead-of-home-clash-with-Manchester-City.html

Sacked from every job since he also lied when after his appointment last year he said he planned to move to Scotland to fully focus on the job - He didn't.

If he had any `standards' he would have resigned. Instead he waited to be sacked so he could gain financial compensation.

I will never forget that glorious final day of the season when results conspired to take his Blues team down - karma for the way he used Scotland to further his profile.

I recall a post on this very board which read - Judgement day has arrived and the justice has been served on the traitor McLeish - down they go!'

On 4/18/2019 at 1:03 PM, Rolling hIlls said:

"all you have given Scottish football" :lol:

"usual standards" :lol:

"Dignity" :lol:

"legend and always will be" :lol:

Are we talking about Jock Stein or Alex McLeish here ? ^?^

5 hours ago, Catchart Circle said:

Thanks for nothing and good riddance.

Yes I agree a quality player for Scotland who never pulled out of internationals despite a heavy club schedule - but that is completely irrelevant to what has gone on in the last year.

What usual standards?

He took Birmingham from a mid table Premiership side to the Championship where they still remain today. Rather than stay and fight with his players he bailed out to their City rivals Villa  - for £1 million pounds - who soon plummeted to the danger zone before the fans forced him out. https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/aston-villa/9068322/Aston-Villa-fans-urged-to-protest-against-manager-Alex-McLeish-ahead-of-home-clash-with-Manchester-City.html

And led Birmingham City to their first trophy in nearly 50 years which you continually forget to mention.

Mind you, as someone who obviously can't spell their user name, what else would you expect.  

1 hour ago, aaid said:

And led Birmingham City to their first trophy in nearly 50 years which you continually forget to mention.

Mind you, as someone who obviously can't spell their user name, what else would you expect.  

They beat Arsenal in the final with the last kick of extra time as penalties loomed. This was in February 2011 - they then went into freefall and went down on  the last day of the season.  McLeish then abandoned them there for another Premiership side rather than battle it out with his players.

The payback for winning the League Cup was 8 years plus out of the Premiership.

As I have previously said the legacy of McLeishs time in England is that Brum are still a Championship side today.

This and his other failures are things YOU refuse to acknowledge concentrating on the trophy he won.

Do you really think that status and the loss of all the Premiership income was worth the League Cup victory?

I doubt any Blues fans would agree.

Absolute dud of a manager.

Edited by Catchart Circle

4 minutes ago, Catchart Circle said:

They beat Arsenal in the final with the last kick of extra time as penalties loomed. This was in February 2011 - they then went into freefall and went down on  the last day of the season.  McLeish then abandoned them there for another Premiership side rather than battle it out with his players.

The payback for winning the League Cup was 8 years plus out of the Premiership.

As I have previously said the legacy of McLeishs time in England is that Brum are still a Championship side today.

This and his other failures are things YOU refuse to acknowledge concentrating on the trophy he won.

Do you really think that status and the loss of all the Premiership income was worth the League Cup victory?

I doubt any Blues fans would agree.

Absolute dud of a manager.

Blues fans that I know - and I know a few - were more annoyed at him for going to Villa than getting relegated. 

He was always a good central defender for Scotland and it is sad to see him depart in this way. If he had been in the defence against the USSR (Spain, 1982), we would have been spared that comical cock-up that put us out. His nutmeg set Jim Bett up for the cross that resulted in Richard Gough's winning goal against England in 1985. His managerial record at Motherwell, Hibernian and Rangers was not that of a dud - it's unfair to call him that. All he did in 2018 was to answer the call from his country - it's not his fault if he was already over the hill.