Ajax - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Ajax

Chripper

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Yours, too, as I tend to respect everyone's opinion.

While I respect the opinion to keep with a back four, I'm baffled with it. Absolutely baffled.

Cheers. I didn't give an opinion on my preferred formation. To be honest i don't give a shit as long as the formation the new manager decides to use works, won't hold my breath tho.

2 minutes ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

Cheers. I didn't give an opinion on my preferred formation. To be honest i don't give a shit as long as the formation the new manager decides to use works, won't hold my breath tho.

Same here.

I wish we lives in a world were we had two, or even one class central defender, if we did then I wouldn't hard on about three at the back... but we don't. Even the last time we did have a class center back (Colin Hendry) we still had to play with three. 

I just want us to be organized and hard to beat, at this moment in time that's all we can aim for.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Same here.

I wish we lives in a world were we had two, or even one class central defender, if we did then I wouldn't hard on about three at the back... but we don't. Even the last time we did have a class center back (Colin Hendry) we still had to play with three. 

I just want us to be organized and hard to beat, at this moment in time that's all we can aim for.

👍

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

Same here.

I wish we lives in a world were we had two, or even one class central defender, if we did then I wouldn't (hard on) about three at the back... but we don't. Even the last time we did have a class center back (Colin Hendry) we still had to play with three. 

I actually believe 3 at the back has this effect on you! 😆

What I take from the Ajax's, Wales and Iceland runs and even Leicester winning the English prem is there is always a  chance for a someone with good organisation, good favor in opposition and form to go against the grain and surprise everyone.  Its not usually long term success as the balance of power usually settles with slight modifications to the status quo once again. My question to all of you is - would you take a 2 year patch of getting to the euro's and making the quarters to go back to the doldrums once again OR would you take regular qualification to get knocked out in the group stages?  I know what I would take and that would be the latter. 

6 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

What I take from the Ajax's, Wales and Iceland runs and even Leicester winning the English prem is there is always a  chance for a someone with good organisation, good favor in opposition and form to go against the grain and surprise everyone.  Its not usually long term success as the balance of power usually settles with slight modifications to the status quo once again. My question to all of you is - would you take a 2 year patch of getting to the euro's and making the quarters to go back to the doldrums once again OR would you take regular qualification to get knocked out in the group stages?  I know what I would take and that would be the latter. 

I'd take the latter.

If there was a third choice of "Drawing up a proper blueprint, studying nations like Holland, France, Belgium and Spain on how they train their youth, etc. Then take 2-4 years to implement it. Forcing domestic clubs to play their homegrown players. And then seeing where it takes us"

I'd rather take that.

We've neglected our young players for too long. I mean, an example of this, Celtic released Andy Robertson as a youth, if it was up to them he would still be shelf-packing. It makes you wonder how many more Andy Robertson's there've been over the last decade or so.

I like option 3 for sure @Chripper, it saddens me that for over 20 years......2 0....two decades has passed and we have not made any changes.  Perhaps this academy stuff is the fruit of that and if that's the case then I apologize to whomever, but if we don't change anything then the next twenty years will be the occasional tournament appearance. 

10 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

I like option 3 for sure @Chripper, it saddens me that for over 20 years......2 0....two decades has passed and we have not made any changes.  Perhaps this academy stuff is the fruit of that and if that's the case then I apologize to whomever, but if we don't change anything then the next twenty years will be the occasional tournament appearance. 

I know. Everyone in Scottish football must take a share of the blame for not only the state of the Scottish national team, but also the state of Scottish football. If you attend a match below the SPL it's akin to watching a Volleyball match. The lack of basic skill is criminal.

I agree with you, if these performance schools can arrest the decline then that'll be great, if not, I can genuinely see Scotland drift towards 100 in the world rankings. Because as it is right now I'm petrified for Scotland meeting any half-decent team. 

39 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I'm petrified for Scotland meeting any half-decent team. 

You and me both.

After the Israel and Kazakhstan away performances, I've been dreading the upcoming match against Belgium (number one ranked team in the world, on their own patch, in front of their own partisan crowd) whilst we are at a very low ebb and extremely fragile.

If the Belgium players show up and want it, I dread to think what they'll do to us in our current fragile state.

So looking around Europe..

La Liga permits up to three non-EU players per team.

Bundesliga 1 and 2 do not have a maximum foreign player limit, but instead a minimum "local" player limit. At least 8 players must have played for the club in three seasons each before turning 25, and at least 4 further players must have done the same at any German club.

Ligue 1 has a limit of four non-EU players per club.

Due to the EU we can't limit the number of non-Scottish players at the club, and just limiting non-EU players seems a bit pointless given that it's not easy to get work permits for them in the UK and the rules are fairly easily bent anyway.. e.g. Suarez and Coutinho have EU citizenship thru their other halfs, so don't count as 'foreign'.

I actually quite like the German rule tho. Incentivises clubs to either invest in their own youth development. Sure, you could bring in a load of young Croatian players, but for most Scottish clubs, I'm not sure that's practical. Each clubs essentially needs 12 players who have been in the league from a relatively young age. Scottish Prem budgets mean that you're not going to be able to have 12 token players in the squad.

32 minutes ago, andyD said:

So looking around Europe..

La Liga permits up to three non-EU players per team.

Bundesliga 1 and 2 do not have a maximum foreign player limit, but instead a minimum "local" player limit. At least 8 players must have played for the club in three seasons each before turning 25, and at least 4 further players must have done the same at any German club.

Ligue 1 has a limit of four non-EU players per club.

Due to the EU we can't limit the number of non-Scottish players at the club, and just limiting non-EU players seems a bit pointless given that it's not easy to get work permits for them in the UK and the rules are fairly easily bent anyway.. e.g. Suarez and Coutinho have EU citizenship thru their other halfs, so don't count as 'foreign'.

I actually quite like the German rule tho. Incentivises clubs to either invest in their own youth development. Sure, you could bring in a load of young Croatian players, but for most Scottish clubs, I'm not sure that's practical. Each clubs essentially needs 12 players who have been in the league from a relatively young age. Scottish Prem budgets mean that you're not going to be able to have 12 token players in the squad.

There’s a difference between the squad overall and the matchday squad. Clubs could be free to employ as many foreign players as they want, but I see no reason why the league couldn’t ontrol the number of home grown players in the matchday squad.

That said, this has been discussed before and I won’t make the point ad infinitum...