Notre Dame fire - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

7 minutes ago, Chripper said:

If anyone thinks that the Notre Dame cathedral is all about religion, the men in white coats called, they have your room ready.

The roof was built by felling 13,000 trees, so we'll be waving goodbye to 13,000 more. It would be nice if they could find a suitable substitute. Researchers have found that hemp-based fiberboards to be twice as strong as wood, but what with the timber industry playing an instrumental part in demonizing Hemp, there's little chance of that happening.

It might not please the traditionalists but I'd suggest using a less flammable material for the new roof...

27 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Here is a thought. Take your tedious anti religious push and fuck it up your arse. Jesus a monumental cathedral burns down and you have to come on the thread and make it the same boring pish. I am going to haunt every pishola thread you start or enjoy. 

Yeah, but which one the red or the silver?

32 minutes ago, ger intae them said:

yer maw! sorry, but one of the  best base retorts.

I've been watching a bit of Bollywood and so sister fucker has a lot more impact than mother fucker. Plus in this case it fits a lot better. Sister fucking cunt...

3 hours ago, DoonTheSlope said:

Who gives a fuck?

Its just one less place for the French to wreck and vandalise on a Saturday afternoon

14,000,000 annual visitors for one.

It is a world icon.

And for a Scottish connection it is also where Mary Stuart married Francis II of France.

2 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

It was widely believed that gargoyles on churches were there to protect from evil spirits. 

https://amp.thisisinsider.com/statues-removed-from-notre-dame-cathedral-days-before-fire-2019-4

Just saying.......

It’s also widely believed they are good luck protection on nights oot. 

Cheers for those swallies last month. 👍

Edited by The Ormond

34 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

14,000,000 annual visitors for one.

It is a world icon.

And for a Scottish connection it is also where Mary Stuart married Francis II of France.

Marino Franchitti from Bathgate driving a 250 GTO

7606260348_9a2b1533d7_b.jpg

Edited by Eisegerwind

There is something very grim about this event. On a smaller scale I felt the same about the School of Art fire. They can rebuild them but... it feels like a real loss. When I think of all the horrendous crimes of the Taliban & ISIS it was when they blew up the giant Buddha statues / destroyed Syria's & Iraq's historical sites that shocked me the most, it is weird.

All that scaffolding made the building very vulnerable but seeing the mainstream media report on this I get the strong feeling we are going to be told it was an accident even if it was arson. Apparently there has been a pattern of Church attacks in France leading up to this fire. French politician on Fox News raised it and immediately got shut down by that wank Shep Smith (i think he is called).

As entirely plausible as it is i'd still be sceptical of this being a cultural attack by Islamic extremists 

IMO it's too much trouble for too little meaningful gain - it's more likely to embolden people against them rather than be in fear   

Edit - as i havent worded the second sentence as good as i could have - i know they want to stir up a war & retaliations etc 

Edited by Ally Bongo