Notre Dame fire - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Incredibly sad to see this. 

No doubt Alan will be along to suggest it is a waste of public funds to rebuild it and the French should turn the site into a shopping mall.

edit: I'm gonna bet this is not an accidental fire.

Edited by thplinth

The roof looks like its all gone now, just a shell will be left. 800 years of history gone in a few hours.

I know feck all about firefighting, but an old roof, largely made out of wood, I cant see the firefighters on scene having any real chance of saving it.

3 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Donald Trump tweeting that maybe dumping some water on it might help. Nothing gets past him 😂

The replies to that tweet are brilliant, I spent 10 minutes reading them earlier.

3 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Donald Trump tweeting that maybe dumping some water on it might help. Nothing gets past him 😂

C'mon now Jim. Donald from what I read suggested they use those planes for fighting forest fires to dump a load of water on the fire... due to it is great height and inaccessibility of the fire wagons. You can see now this is not in anyway a ridiculous idea. They could have swooped down on the Seine and drenched this fire before anyone even knew it started.

1 hour ago, bonzo said:

It's totally fecked, builders again?

Tragic.

Not sure why it is that these things happen during renovation.   Maybe just the old and very dry timbers being exposed and vulenerable.

I have relatives who were involved in such work in Glasgow for many years and had a story of running up and down a spire or such like until the fire extinguishers ran out waiting for the brigade to arrive.   (No they were not in the Art College!)

Not sure where the 'spark' might arise.   Roof tar work is an obvious one in even more modern buildings.

2 hours ago, phart said:

I see the mega-rich of france are donating to get the building rebuilt. You'd have thought the Catholic Church could afford it no problem.

Thank god for that, it's a miracle.

If you had 20 million euro to either help with the rebuilding of the cathedral or buy a Ferrari what colour Ferrari would you get.

Edited by Eisegerwind

21 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Thank god for that, it's a miracle.

If you had 20 million euro to either help with the rebuilding of the cathedral or buy a Ferrari what colour Ferrari would you get.

Without trying to be pedantic the most expensive Ferrari is the Pininfarina Sergio at £2.3 million

However the Bugatti La Voiture Noire is about £14.4 million which is just short of 20 million Euros

Bugatti-La-Voiture-Noire-3.jpg?bc=Transp

18 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

OK would you get the red or the silver 250 GTO.

Ferrari_250-GTO_STRADA_xMAM5967_015370.j

4653362136_190179f08b.jpg

Here is a thought. Take your tedious anti religious push and fuck it up your arse. Jesus a monumental cathedral burns down and you have to come on the thread and make it the same boring pish. I am going to haunt every pishola thread you start or enjoy. 

If anyone thinks that the Notre Dame cathedral is all about religion, the men in white coats called, they have your room ready.

The roof was built by felling 13,000 trees, so we'll be waving goodbye to 13,000 more. It would be nice if they could find a suitable substitute. Researchers have found that hemp-based fiberboards to be twice as strong as wood, but what with the timber industry playing an instrumental part in demonizing Hemp, there's little chance of that happening.