Durrant Goes Stateside - Page 4 - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Durrant Goes Stateside

1 hour ago, RenfrewBlue said:

It wasn't me that put the article on the forum. I just commented on what was posted. 

This however, isn't the only example of bellend Don's harassing Durrant, is it? 

I’d hardly say some eejit holding a daft card up in the USA is harrassing Durrant. 😂

18 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

The Scottish press refuse to acknowledge Simpsons achievements and they paint him as a thug

And as others have said, Simpson has nobody to blame but himself for that.

In all my years of going to games vs Aberdeen, I have only ever heard Aberdeen fans sing one song about Simpson.

Maybe they should sing a song about him celebrating his career, rather than one that celebrates him being a thug?

You can't blame the press for everything, your own support glorify that tackle by singing about it 30 years later!

Edited by Squirrelhumper

16 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

And as others have said, Simpson has nobody to blame but himself for that.

In all my years of going to games vs Aberdeen, I have only ever heard Aberdeen fans sing one song about Simpson.

Maybe they should sing a song about him celebrating his career, rather than one that celebrates him being a thug?

You can't blame the press for everything, your own support glorify that tackle by singing about it 30 years 

And like the others you miss the point entirely. 

Durrant was a smashing player before his injury. A fantastic box-to-box midfielder who likely would have moved on to bigger things than Rangers if he wanted.

He kind of reinvented himself in a different role afterwards - more of a central midfield anchor rather than the energetic style beforehand. He gained 75% of his Scotland caps after the injury so he was still pretty good. In his later career with Rangers then Killie he still shone. It's still a case of "what if" for me though as he was certainly something special 1986-1988.

2 hours ago, Mitre said:

Durrant was a smashing player before his injury. A fantastic box-to-box midfielder who likely would have moved on to bigger things than Rangers if he wanted.

He kind of reinvented himself in a different role afterwards - more of a central midfield anchor rather than the energetic style beforehand. He gained 75% of his Scotland caps after the injury so he was still pretty good. In his later career with Rangers then Killie he still shone. It's still a case of "what if" for me though as he was certainly something special 1986-1988.

Completely agree with this, but for the injury, the Scotland team would've been built around him for years. 

12 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

You can bet your arse if Simpson was a Tim or hun his vicious challenge would be unheard of, like the willie Johnston assault on John McMaster.

I'm not debating that, Gary Caldwell basically ended David Fernandez's career and was barely a whimper in the press.

Still don't see why Aberdeen fans glorify the tackle 30 years on, then moan about the press bringing it up.

Worked out well for my team as Durrant is still probably the best player I've seen play for us in 30 years or so (Burns was amazing but Durrant did it for several seasons at the top end of the SPL) and he'd have been nowhere near RP without that injury.

Just now, Squirrelhumper said:

I'm not debating that, Gary Caldwell basically ended David Fernandez's career and was barely a whimper in the press.

Still don't see why Aberdeen fans glorify the tackle 30 years on, then moan about the press bringing it up.

Worked out well for my team as Durrant is still probably the best player I've seen play for us in 30 years or so (Burns was amazing but Durrant did it for several seasons at the top end of the SPL) and he'd have been nowhere near RP without that injury.

Come on Sh, you know why the song gets aired and its not to glorify it, it was to watch the huns froth at the mouth.

14 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Come on Sh, you know why the song gets aired and its not to glorify it, it was to watch the huns froth at the mouth.

So they were singing it - with Simpson joining in - in the Irish Bar in the Europa Centre in Berlin to wind up the Huns then?

1 minute ago, aaid said:

So they were singing it - with Simpson joining in - in the Irish Bar in the Europa Centre in Berlin to wind up the Huns then?

More likely because Simmie was in the bar I'd say

You'll know that too though

3 minutes ago, Redz said:

More likely because Simmie was in the bar I'd say

You'll know that too though

Probably, but gets us back to where we started.  Of all of Simpson's achievements at Aberdeen, what is it that is commemorated in song?

8 minutes ago, aaid said:

Probably, but gets us back to where we started.  Of all of Simpson's achievements at Aberdeen, what is it that is commemorated in song?

WM was the only aberdeen player from that time to have a song sung regularly about him - The rest must have been shite, looking back

The Simmie song is only aired with the intent of winding up the Huns

There is no other agenda

3 minutes ago, Redz said:

WM was the only aberdeen player from that time to have a song sung regularly about him - The rest must have been shite, looking back

The Simmie song is only aired with the intent of winding up the Huns

There is no other agenda

I'm a but too young but I'm.sure Joey Harper had a song too.

Does every club have a song dedicated to each successful player? Nope, they dont. Most songs are about hatred of the opposition or they are about winding up the opposition 

Edited by vanderark14

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

Rangers fans don't really hate Catholics, they just sing the songs to noise up Celtic fans.....

I'm sure they do. 

Are you seriously equating that to a song that barely gets an airing if at all nowadays? I think the last time it was aired was dens park and some of the Aberdeen support shouted the singers down

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I'm sure they do. 

Are you seriously equating that to a song that barely gets an airing if at all nowadays? I think the last time it was aired was dens park and some of the Aberdeen support shouted the singers down

Not at all, I just find the denial on here quite amusing. If it's only sung to noise up Rangers fans why was it being sung at Dens?

Just now, Redz said:

Denial about what exactly?

That it's not sung to glorify it or mock Durrant.  It clearly is, maybe not by all who sing it, but if it's happening at other games than against Rangers it can't just be to noise us up.

2 minutes ago, Fairbairn said:

Not at all, I just find the denial on here quite amusing. If it's only sung to noise up Rangers fans why was it being sung at Dens?

Do you think it's sung because of a genuine hatred of Ian durrant? 

I reckon they sang it at dens in the hope it got a reaction out with the match itself, just like the guy with the sign at wrestlemania but your conveniently ignoring that the Aberdeen support did something about it and got those responsible to shut the fuck up.

Could you see the huns or Tim's doing anything to tackle sectarianism in their support? I doubt it

1 minute ago, Fairbairn said:

That it's not sung to glorify it or mock Durrant.  It clearly is, maybe not by all who sing it, but if it's happening at other games than against Rangers it can't just be to noise us up.

I will be honest, if anyone did it to mock durrant I'd have no problem with it because hes a bigoted racist bag of shite.