Dundee - Official Best Place to Live in Scotland. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Dundee - Official Best Place to Live in Scotland.

On 4/13/2019 at 10:05 AM, TDYER63 said:

Thanks, will take a look at these. I am sure they will be excellent haven beenĀ recommended by a culinary expert like yourself šŸ˜ TripAdvisor is hit or miss.Ā 

Might need toĀ give the spicy sausage a miss though, especially if it has been a tight game.Ā 

Some good suggestions from KftF but there are actually so many good restaurants in Dundee these days, So many that I've not tried many of them yet.

I thought Cafe Montmartre has closed but apparently it was only briefly, which I'm delighted about as IĀ didn't have a chance to try it and it has (or had anyway) rabbit on the menu (don't tell G-Man I said that).

Mennie's (Speedwell Tavern) is one of the best pubs in Dundee. Nothing fancy just a good, old fashioned pubĀ I've frequented since my early pub days.

If you like Mexican there's a great, wee Mexican restaurant about 50 yards up from Mennie's called Mas. It's almostĀ like Mexican tapas in that you can order lots of little dishes .Again nothing fancy but very tasty andĀ one I've been too several times and always look forward to going back to. I'd highly recommend. Very laid back and good, friendly service.

Let us know if you want more info.

19 hours ago, fringo said:

Some good suggestions from KftF but there are actually so many good restaurants in Dundee these days, So many that I've not tried many of them yet.

I thought Cafe Montmartre has closed but apparently it was only briefly, which I'm delighted about as IĀ didn't have a chance to try it and it has (or had anyway) rabbit on the menu (don't tell G-Man I said that).

Mennie's (Speedwell Tavern) is one of the best pubs in Dundee. Nothing fancy just a good, old fashioned pubĀ I've frequented since my early pub days.

If you like Mexican there's a great, wee Mexican restaurant about 50 yards up from Mennie's called Mas. It's almostĀ like Mexican tapas in that you can order lots of little dishes .Again nothing fancy but very tasty andĀ one I've been too several times and always look forward to going back to. I'd highly recommend. Very laid back and good, friendly service.

Let us know if you want more info.

Ā šŸ˜ Thanks Fringo, Ā much appreciated. With all theseĀ options availableĀ I may have toĀ come up more often.

I am not sure about rabbit, but I am quite partial to frogs legs šŸ™‚

4 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Ā šŸ˜ Thanks Fringo, Ā much appreciated. With all theseĀ options availableĀ I may have toĀ come up more often.

Rabbit is lovely..Ā  Best stewĀ i ever tasted was Chicken and rabbit ..

Ok it was in my forces days and was survival training had to kill and skin the rabbit and kill and pluck the chicken..

I was ok as i live in the wids but you should have seen the lads who lived in the inner cities faces lol

11 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

Ok it was in my forces days and was survival training had to kill and skin the rabbit and kill and pluck the chicken..

I was ok as i live in the wids but you should have seen the lads who lived in the inner cities faces lol

Killing it and skinning it are the easy bits. It's gutting it that gives me the boak.:barf:

On 5/1/2019 at 9:58 PM, Mark frae Crieff said:

I dont think I could eat rabbit simply because I considerĀ Ā it a household petĀ . I couldn't eat a dog for the same reason ( though I might have a go at cat ).

I seen a programme a few years ago, Gordon Ramsay was rearing pigs in his back garden in a ā€˜humaneā€™ way. His children came to see them as being their pets. In the end the pigs were slaughtered( humanely ..) Ā then theyĀ Ā had them forĀ dinner. I thought wtf, how can you rear these animals,Ā get emotionally attached to them, then eat them. I am a completeĀ Ā hypocrite as I eat bacon all the time, but I couldn't eat a pig I had reared in my garden.Ā 

5 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont think I could eat rabbit simply because I considerĀ Ā it a household petĀ . I couldn't eat a dog for the same reason ( though I might have a go at cat ).

I seen a programme a few years ago, Gordon Ramsay was rearing pigs in his back garden in a ā€˜humaneā€™ way. His children came to see them as being their pets. In the end the pigs were slaughtered( humanely ..) Ā then theyĀ Ā had them forĀ dinner. I thought wtf, how can you rear these animals,Ā get emotionally attached to them, then eat them. I am a completeĀ Ā hypocrite as I eat bacon all the time, but I couldn't eat a pig I had reared in my garden.Ā 

One of my pals is a farmer. He can't eat vegetables for the same reason.

Ā 

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I seen a program a few years ago, Gordon Ramsay was rearing pigs in his back garden in a ā€˜humaneā€™ way. His children came to see them as being their pets. In the end the pigs were slaughtered( humanely ..) Ā then theyĀ Ā had them forĀ dinner. I thought wtf, how can you rear these animals,Ā get emotionally attached to them, then eat them. I am a completeĀ Ā hypocrite as I eat bacon all the time, but I couldn't eat a pig I had reared in my garden.Ā 

When you are starving and about to go "man down" its amazing what you will eat... it's at times like this that i have even eaten Brussels sproutsĀ :yikes3:

If you look back the centuries we have bred livestock of all shapes to eat. Keeping them in the same mud hut as ourselves... At this point it could bring us back to Dundee and some of the outlying reservations.. Where even the dugs cut about in pairs..Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

19 hours ago, Mark frae Crieff said:

When you are starving and about to go "man down" its amazing what you will eat... it's at times like this that i have even eaten Brussels sproutsĀ :yikes3:

If you look back the centuries we have bred livestock of all shapes to eat. Keeping them in the same mud hut as ourselves... At this point it could bring us back to Dundee and some of the outlying reservations.. Where even the dugs cut about in pairs..Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

šŸ˜ Thankfully I have never been thatĀ short of food. Though when I was wee and was being handed a piece on lard forĀ lunch Ā my granpas canary looked quite appetising by comparison.Ā 

1 hour ago, TDYER63 said:

šŸ˜ Thankfully I have never been thatĀ short of food. Though when I was wee and was being handed a piece on lard forĀ lunch Ā my granpas canary looked quite appetising by comparison.Ā 

My Auntie Mary had a canary up the leg oā€™ her drawers.....

3 hours ago, The Ormond said:

My Auntie Mary had a canary up the leg oā€™ her drawers.....

The only thing more annoying than a canary isĀ a canary up the leg oā€™ yer drawers.Ā Ā I am sure that bloody canary is why I talk so much, I had to compete with it toĀ get attention. The one time in myĀ life a cat would have come in handy.Ā 

On 5/1/2019 at 5:04 PM, TDYER63 said:

Are you staying over night ? If so where ? Could make a difference to my recommendations.Ā 

If you are down near the V & A or along the front, the White Goose is decent for some food and drinks, as is The Wine Press. Ā For a more upscale restaurant Castlehill is very good.

Boozers in the centre try the new St Andrews Brewing Company behind the Caird Hall. Or for a traditional classic Dundee Boozer head to the Phoenix Bar for a top notch pint and the Chilli Burger will sort you right out. šŸ‘

1 hour ago, Jim Beem said:

Are you staying over night ? If so where ? Could make a difference to my recommendations.Ā 

If you are down near the V & A or along the front, the White Goose is decent for some food and drinks, as is The Wine Press. Ā For a more upscale restaurant Castlehill is very good.

Boozers in the centre try the new St Andrews Brewing Company behind the Caird Hall. Or for a traditional classic Dundee Boozer head to the Phoenix Bar for a top notch pint and the Chilli Burger will sort you right out. šŸ‘

Kumnio and I were in the Phoenix a month ago. Some auld Wifie was hain a right guid go at me aboot my accent. Iā€™ve still nae idea why.Ā šŸ˜‚

14 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

If we go we will definitely be staying overnight. We are waiting to see how next Mondayā€™sĀ game against Hamilton goes. Mr Tdyer works a shift rota and is supposed to be working the weekend of the Dundee game, but if St Mirren areĀ in a position to potentiallyĀ avoid the play offsĀ he will take holidays to come to Dundee for the last game. If not we will comeĀ up another weekendĀ he is rotaā€™d off.Ā 

Thanks for these recommendations šŸ‘

16 hours ago, The Ormond said:

Kumnio and I were in the Phoenix a month ago. Some auld Wifie was hain a right guid go at me aboot my accent. Iā€™ve still nae idea why.Ā šŸ˜‚

Probably never heard that Chicago/Ā Perth Curler accent before. šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļøĀ Ā 

The secret bar is a great bar, the Gin cocktails are outstanding, and the new place that does Rum cocktails is excellent. Not good for the wallet at Ā£8.50 each, but still..

Theres a lot of very good pubs & restaurants in Dundee right now, and it seems to be getting better.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/5/2019 at 10:25 AM, TDYER63 said:

If we go we will definitely be staying overnight. We are waiting to see how next Mondayā€™sĀ game against Hamilton goes. Mr Tdyer works a shift rota and is supposed to be working the weekend of the Dundee game, but if St Mirren areĀ in a position to potentiallyĀ avoid the play offsĀ he will take holidays to come to Dundee for the last game. If not we will comeĀ up another weekendĀ he is rotaā€™d off.Ā 

Thanks for these recommendations šŸ‘

Any good ?

On 5/31/2019 at 10:44 PM, fringo said:

Tidy, did you make the trip and where did you go ?

Good food & pubs ?

Sorry Fringo, I missed your quote over the weekend .Ā 

In oneĀ word ā€˜Noā€™. But as you know I can never stick to one word.Ā 

MrĀ Tidy needs to give 2 weeks notice for any annual leave. Despite me asking him umpteen times if he had put in a request and beingĀ told ā€˜yes, yes, I have . Stop askingā€™ , he did infact forget to send the email.Ā 

So we are now going in July or September. I just hope those months arenā€™t out ofĀ season for rabbit šŸ˜

10 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

Sorry Fringo, I missed your quote over the weekend .Ā 

In oneĀ word ā€˜Noā€™. But as you know I can never stick to one word.Ā 

MrĀ Tidy needs to give 2 weeks notice for any annual leave. Despite me asking him umpteen times if he had put in a request and beingĀ told ā€˜yes, yes, I have . Stop askingā€™ , he did infact forget to send the email.Ā 

So we are now going in July or September. I just hope those months arenā€™t out ofĀ season for rabbit šŸ˜

Not sure about the exact rabbit seasonĀ šŸ˜ƒ

Let us know if you want more info nearer the time.

13 hours ago, fringo said:

Not sure about the exact rabbit seasonĀ šŸ˜ƒ

Let us know if you want more info nearer the time.

Thanks Fringo, you will know when I have arrived. A solitary voice bellowing ā€˜I belongĀ toĀ Glasgowā€™ at 3am šŸ˜