Israel Folau - Rugby - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Israel Folau

morrie21

Australia and Waratahs fullback posted some extreme views on his instagram. The post can be seen in this short piece here.

https://www.planetrugby.com/news/ra-criticises-unacceptable-israel-folau-anti-gay-post/

It's not the first time he has done this and apparently now Rugby Australia are going to sack him. It is a bit of a mine-field. I don't agree with what he is saying as I don't share those beliefs although I do think he has a right to express himself if he sees fit. At least he's honest about what he believes in.

It looks like the modern affliction of silencing any point of view that may be offensive combined with Falou's need to share his views on Instagram  will deny us the opportunity to see the world's best fullback at this year's rugby world cup. 

Any thoughts? 

Well the inevitable has happened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47932231

I agree with Morrie, I can't understand why sports stars (or people in general) feel they need to share all their views on Instagram unless Falou was responding to something specific.  However it shouldn't surprise us that religious people have views that are in accord with the teachings of their religion and may not be in accord with what modern liberal western society thinks at this particular moment in history. 

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

Well the inevitable has happened: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/47932231

I agree with Morrie, I can't understand why sports stars (or people in general) feel they need to share all their views on Instagram unless Falou was responding to something specific.  However it shouldn't surprise us that religious people have views that are in accord with the teachings of their religion and may not be in accord with what modern liberal western society thinks at this particular moment in history. 

I might be on my own but I think sacking him is wrong, why should someone of a particular faith be silent because his views do not conform with the current hot topic? If we are truly all about freedom of speech then he should be punished for having his faith. This will no doubt leave me open to some shots coming my way but as you say he has his faith, why should he deviate from it to suit others? Why should he stay silent?

I don't believe in any religion but I do believe in each to their own even huns. 😂

24 minutes ago, bonzo said:

Drunks, homosexuals, adulterers, liars, fornicators, thieves, atheists and idolators - Hell awaits you."

Does he not realise he's condemned half of the ministry 😇

or half the TAMB.............................😂

Yeah the crux of the story for me is the freedom of speech thing. It's an interesting aspect in all of this - whether you agree or not with what he posted he does on some level have a right to post it (although why you'd want to share such a viewpoint with the world is beyond me).

Anyway I may write an article on this soon. It seems like the sacking is a result of breach of contract. He posted something similar last year and Rugby Australia let him off with a warning although they did insert social media clauses in his contract which he has now contravened. NO doubt the sponsor of the Aussie team, Quantas, put them under severe pressure to sack him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 1/29/2020 at 5:33 PM, Tartan_McCole said:

Absolutely great shitehousery.

What's even better is they got wind of it before it was announced and declared their home game pride day an hour before the dragons had made Folau's signing public.