Tamb - where did it all go wrong Part II? - Page 21 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Tamb - where did it all go wrong Part II?

On 2/25/2021 at 7:53 PM, fringo said:

I'm a proud and loud emoji person. I don't mind being outed.

Good for you! About time someone stood up to the intolerance towards emojis. Please post details when your campaign starts.  

Emojis Matter!!!!   

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I've barely had access in last few months unless it was with my work laptop.

Until a few days ago so I'm catching up on the tunes thread.

It did get very busy with the recent Scotland games though. I was checking in from work pc and loads of stuff then.

On 12/1/2021 at 7:30 PM, thplinth said:

35 posts across the whole board in 12 hours…

It is so dead. 

maybe one wheel on the wagon compared to back in the day but still rollin along.........🪕.  There's still a bit of life in the old dog yet. Will be good to see what happens if we manage to get through the play-offs. Things will probably be fairly quiet until then..

On 12/1/2021 at 9:58 PM, chaff said:

And I think I'm responsible for 5 of them. Someone that's not been around for ten years

I can't remember how long my hiatus has been but its a bit like Union Street in Aberdeen these days 🤨

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Looking back recently I think where it maybe went wrong is the unfortunate combination of the TA(MB) being quite Rangers fan heavy (and Celtic fan light) back in the day but also (naturally) Scottish nationalist heavy. This potentially combustive combination was not a problem for many a decade but then we had two things that caused it to blow up on both sides.

The first hammer blow was RFC going titz up. After so many decades of triumphalism that was a humiliation many were not hanging about for. And for the non-rangers fans it was years of intense hilarity laughing at Rangers on here. 

The second happened more gradually but it really gathered pace at the end (and in the years just prior to RFC going belly-up) and that was support for the SNP and YES.

And then for Nationalist side the crushing disappointment of the NO. And all the gloating potential that came with it. That saw another exodus over time.

The board just died across the board (bad pun?). While other club and football sites did not or not as bad. If it was too much politics then AOB would have suffered but TA and Football not... but it was every section.

The genuine wide cross section you got on here was what made it so interesting and funny. But events stretched it to breaking point and it broke. Something happened behind the scenes as well. The mods just disappeared and the board even posted it own suicide note. Fuck knows what was going on there but it all came together and malkied the TAMB.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

Looking back recently I think where it maybe went wrong is the unfortunate combination of the TA(MB) being quite Rangers fan heavy (and Celtic fan light) back in the day but also (naturally) Scottish nationalist heavy. This potentially combustive combination was not a problem for many a decade but then we had two things that caused it to blow up on both sides.

The first hammer blow was RFC going titz up. After so many decades of triumphalism that was a humiliation many were not hanging about for. And for the non-rangers fans it was years of intense hilarity laughing at Rangers on here. 

The second happened more gradually but it really gathered pace at the end (and in the years just prior to RFC going belly-up) and that was support for the SNP and YES.

And then for Nationalist side the crushing disappointment of the NO. And all the gloating potential that came with it. That saw another exodus over time.

The board just died across the board (bad pun?). While other club and football sites did not or not as bad. If it was too much politics then AOB would have suffered but TA and Football not... but it was every section.

The genuine wide cross section you got on here was what made it so interesting and funny. But events stretched it to breaking point and it broke. Something happened behind the scenes as well. The mods just disappeared and the board even posted it own suicide note. Fuck knows what was going on there but it all came together and malkied the TAMB.

I have huge respect for the Rangers fans still on here, and absolutely not in some sort of patronising way. It seems you are classed as some sort of traitor by many Rangers fans to be both a Rangers and Scotland fan . Takes a bigger person to rise above shite like that than succumb to the pressure. 

I am not really sure when they became a pariah  by supporting both club and country,  Indy ref will definitely have enhanced the divide but I dont remember politics ever having much of an impact in the past. I dont imagine Rangers fans were falling out with each other pre Indy ref if one was Labour and the other Tory. It was probably never even discussed in football chat. Politics should be kept to political debates and not sport. I think this board is pretty good at that. Politics seems to get closed down pretty quickly in the football threads and so it should, unless its something to do with a football issue of course. 
I dont buy the the excuse that Rangers fans get a hard time on here. People like Fairbairn more than hold their own and clearly command respect, there is absolutely no reason why Rangers fans cant be welcomed on here. 

It’s a pity because, as you say, the mix of personalities is what keeps things interesting 

14 minutes ago, TDYER63 said:

I have huge respect for the Rangers fans still on here, and absolutely not in some sort of patronising way. It seems you are classed as some sort of traitor by many Rangers fans to be both a Rangers and Scotland fan . Takes a bigger person to rise above shite like that than succumb to the pressure. 

I am not really sure when they became a pariah  by supporting both club and country,  Indy ref will definitely have enhanced the divide but I dont remember politics ever having much of an impact in the past. I dont imagine Rangers fans were falling out with each other pre Indy ref if one was Labour and the other Tory. It was probably never even discussed in football chat. Politics should be kept to political debates and not sport. I think this board is pretty good at that. Politics seems to get closed down pretty quickly in the football threads and so it should, unless its something to do with a football issue of course. 
I dont buy the the excuse that Rangers fans get a hard time on here. People like Fairbairn more than hold their own and clearly command respect, there is absolutely no reason why Rangers fans cant be welcomed on here. 

It’s a pity because, as you say, the mix of personalities is what keeps things interesting 

I remember going to a game somewhere in Europe, I think it might have been the game in Bari, and we were sitting in the bar at Heathrow Airport.  There were two planes leaving around the same time, one for Milan and one for Rome so there was quite a few Scotland fans in the airport.

There was one young Aberdeen fan - they’re always Aberdeen fans for some reason - who was being a bit of an arse and was coming out with the whole “Rangers fans don’t support Scotland” stuff.   His face was a picture when, of our group of around 10, half said they were Rangers fans, including a couple who lived in Aberdeen. A real Spartacus moment.

In my experience, Celtic fans who support Scotland are generally fine, Aberdeen are the worst for this sort of crap.

1 hour ago, aaid said:

I remember going to a game somewhere in Europe, I think it might have been the game in Bari, and we were sitting in the bar at Heathrow Airport.  There were two planes leaving around the same time, one for Milan and one for Rome so there was quite a few Scotland fans in the airport.

There was one young Aberdeen fan - they’re always Aberdeen fans for some reason - who was being a bit of an arse and was coming out with the whole “Rangers fans don’t support Scotland” stuff.   His face was a picture when, of our group of around 10, half said they were Rangers fans, including a couple who lived in Aberdeen. A real Spartacus moment.

In my experience, Celtic fans who support Scotland are generally fine, Aberdeen are the worst for this sort of crap.

Strange because none of the Aberdeen fans I know think like that.

5 hours ago, aaid said:

I dont think its a coincidence that OF firms who also support Scotland are generally decent people. They are not blinkered to the sectarianism that prevents others from seeing themselves as Scottish first, and not British or Irish. 

I can believe there was a reasonable percentage of Rangers fans supporting Scotland 10 or so years ago. I would however be really surprised if there is such a high percentage now . 

11 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Funnily enough, none of the Aberdeen fans that I actually know think like that either but they’re all people who’re a bit more old school and who know that with Scotland it’s all about country before club. I think you’d be surprised to know the old guys that I know through Scotland and who’ve always been fine with me and who are good friends to this day.

7 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

I dont think its a coincidence that OF firms who also support Scotland are generally decent people. They are not blinkered to the sectarianism that prevents others from seeing themselves as Scottish first, and not British or Irish. 

I can believe there was a reasonable percentage of Rangers fans supporting Scotland 10 or so years ago. I would however be really surprised if there is such a high percentage now . 

With - genuine  - respect, I think that’s a real oversimplification of something that’s a lot more complicated.

I can only talk for myself but I went though an amount of soul searching in the early 1980s when I first became politically aware and realised that my football club didn’t represent the same values I had. I managed to work out an agreement with myself mentally where I could put things in boxes and football was football, politics was politics and so on.  So I’ve always been able to separate things out.  I can get why people may see that as some sort of cop out but I don’t see it that way.  In the way way I’ve nothing but contempt for people who let their football team drive their politics, I’ve similar contempt for people who let their politics drive who they support. 

Back in the day, there was no real problem for Rangers fans to also support Scotland.  That wasn’t the case for Celtic fans for well documented reasons.  These days, I think Celtic and Rangers fans who support Scotland have ended up in the same place but from different ends. 

10 hours ago, aaid said:

With - genuine  - respect, I think that’s a real oversimplification of something that’s a lot more complicated.

I can only talk for myself but I went though an amount of soul searching in the early 1980s when I first became politically aware and realised that my football club didn’t represent the same values I had. I managed to work out an agreement with myself mentally where I could put things in boxes and football was football, politics was politics and so on.  So I’ve always been able to separate things out.  I can get why people may see that as some sort of cop out but I don’t see it that way.  In the way way I’ve nothing but contempt for people who let their football team drive their politics, I’ve similar contempt for people who let their politics drive who they support. 

Back in the day, there was no real problem for Rangers fans to also support Scotland.  That wasn’t the case for Celtic fans for well documented reasons.  These days, I think Celtic and Rangers fans who support Scotland have ended up in the same place but from different ends. 

Thst is exactly what I mean. You had the intelligence to work out that the two should be kept separate. Unfortunately a large percentage of the support dont, hence the situation we are in. What kind of people sing en masse about hating the support of their country’s football team ? If there is one thing that brings football together it should  be supporting your national team. 

And its just not gullible people who get sucked into this. I work with a Rangers supporter who used to come to a lot of the Scotland games with us. He brought his son who was about 18. This was about 15 years ago. The son now would never be near a Scotland game , he is utter staunch,  and my colleague never comes as his son feels the way he does. They are both educated  people . I just cannot fathom this sort of mentality at all. 

On 10/8/2022 at 6:56 AM, vanderark14 said:

i have vivid memories of a guy at hampden for Belarus game 0-1 in 2000s decked out in bright Aberdeen gear -  was really bizarre tbh ; blonde hair  - and also seen lads wearing their Dons tops on game day at an away game - Milan i recall

my feeling is that after the england / ireland migration of some OF support 80/90s onwards (& general dis interest after WC 90 etc)  & the stats on travelling fans from all point north that some moral high ground was achieved ......

its all a bit embarrassing 

• 1 month later...

Anyone else sometimes having trouble posting via ad blocker?