Strachan - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Strachan

Ally Bongo

Can we put these "should never have been sacked" comments to bed now ?

BBC News understands Gordon Strachan will not be appearing on Sky Sports ever again after he appeared to conflate convicted sex offender Adam Johnson's situation with racial abuse. @BBCScotlandNews

Failure to qualify from two campaigns is just that and his time was up.

Okay he came in with a strong finish but the damage was done early in the group with 3-0 defeats to Slovakia and England plus the home draw with Lithuania - not to mention Tiblissi.

That said he is a far better manager than the dud we have at the moment.

1 minute ago, Catchart Circle said:

Failure to qualify from two campaigns is just that and his time was up.

Okay he came in with a strong finish but the damage was done early in the group with 3-0 defeats to Slovakia and England plus the home draw with Lithuania - not to mention Tiblissi.

That said he is a far better manager than the dud we have at the moment.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

In spades.

It was a stupid thing to say. Sex offenders are just that, offenders. 

If he meant that people deserve a second chance then I get it, but the way that he said it was ham-fisted to the extreme.

Not sure why this has anything to do with him doing the Scotland job, past or future, though.

I've just watched the coverage.

He basically just says that abuse is abuse. The way that the media and snowflakes are twisting it it's like saying that he things sex offenders are the same as people of a different colour. He didn't. There was a black guy on his right, he didn't take umbridge with what Strachan said.

This trial by television/media is out of control.

I don't think it's hard to understand what Strachan was meaning.
Unless you're of a mind to intentionally refuse to do so of course.
He acknowledges that he didn't phrase it well and apologised if anyone had been hurt by what he said.

It's a fair point tho overall. We all agree that racism is unacceptable and something that should be punished. But there is a wider question of what else is also unacceptable. I remember a case is Spain where a players mum had died and his opponents spent the game winding him up about it. To me that's disgusting. But in Spain it's par for the course, it seems. I wouldn't be surprised if similar things happened here, tho we seem to talk about them less.

Johnson's a bad example, as he's a very unsympathetic character. If he got verbal abuse then I'm not sure anyone would be leaping to his defense, even tho in theory, he's served his punishment and therefore shouldn't be harassed for the rest of his life/career.

Anyway, it was an interesting point, worthy of discussion, but poorly presented.
Doesn't warrant being banned from the channel tho, that's silly.

11 hours ago, ProudScot said:

Total overreaction and feel for Strachan.

He has came out with garbage so many times he’s been bound to offend someone eventually and there we go. 

Agree

. It was worded poorly but total over reaction. He will be getting threats from the vigilantes now. I am sure he would never have meant it in that way and just talking about abuse in general. Genuine question to the timaloys on the board. Did rangers fans sing songs about scott browns sister last week? Watched it in pub so never heard? I would hope they didnt or then i would be genuinely ashamed. And would understand his reaction at end. Fitba fans?????

I think it's unanimous here that he didn't say anything wrong.

This is the social media and snowflake generation, this an era where it's frowned upon to state your opinion and be honest. All the majority of people want is shiny happy people who don't have any opinions of their own if it's can be construed as being at all negative.

Unless you love everything you're going to called a hater and be chased by a mob bearing torches and pitchforks.

I have to admit I do miss Strachan's off hand obscure comments even if it was frustrating for the time he was Scotland manager at times.

I think this one falls into the better left unsaid category. I wouldn't crucify him for it personally but as mentioned before in this day and age it's a tricky one to try and justify.