Scott McTominay - Page 4 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

McTominay being talked about as MoM last night. McGinn still doing well at Villa. Their manager thinks he was brilliant last night as they went down to 10 men but came back from 1-0 down away at Rotherham - says he was so good he thought there were 2 of him 😂. I'm inclined to think that McTominay and Fraser are nailed on starters as they are consistently good at the top level. Armstrong is one I like and seems to be holding his own when injury free. Really hope to see McGinn and McLean in the EPL next season. Same with Liam Cooper - a centre half and captain in the EPL would be excellent.

With all fit and available, I would like to see:

---------------------- Bain

Tierney -- Bates -- McKenna -- Robertson

-------------------- McGregor

-------- McTominay  --------- McGinn

Forrest -------------------------------------- Fraser

--------------------- Griffiths

Armstrong, Russell, Fletcher in about there too to come on.

Liam Lindsey could be a big shout soon as well. Apparently having an excellent season with Barnsley. They could get promoted automatically but he may end up with Celtic, Leeds, Brighton or Aston Villa according to the reporting. As pathetic as the whole shambles has been recently, there may be reason to be more optimistic soon and some of our young guys with potential will be getting tested at the highest possible level. A good problem for our new manager to consider.

8 hours ago, Rohan said:

Play a 541 which can become a 352, 3511 or a 343 when on the counter attack. 541 makes it harder to score against us while we have a midfield with alot of pace in which we can change things quickly. 

THANK YOU!

And exactly. We simply are not good enough to play a "normal" formation and with normal tactics. We bridged the gap in the 90s with 3/5-3-2 quite successfully and we should do it now. People just seem to think that just because players play a certain formation at club level that they are familiar with it and they can play it at international level, but there is a massive difference between the SPL/Championship and international level.

7 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Unlike the 16 or 17 it could have been the last time we played 3-5-2,  against Israel?

Doe's 4-5--1 not achieve the same thing?

I don't think Robertson has had one above average game since becoming captain, but then I said when he became captain playing on the wing is not were you want your captain which is partly why I agree with you on  moving him more central. 

Tierney is also a better defender which I think Fraser needs. I don't think Fraser and Robertson really complement each other due to how weak the rest of our team is.

Please stop mentioning 1998, it really has no bearing on our current squad.

All discussions are  a waste of time really as we will be lucky to get any more than seven of our best players willing enough to turn up at any one time for the current regime.

You do realize that Israel are what, about 40 places above Kazakhstan, don't you? It ended 2:1 and we actually scored. You can't compare the time we played against Israel with a system that we've only used about 5 times over 18 years, as opposed to the system that we used against Kazakhstan that we've been using for 18 years and apparently it's a system that our players are most comfortable with. Yes, our players looked so comfortable chasing shadows.

And some people seem to conveniently forget that we almost beat England using a 3-5-2 system.

No, as the problem with the back four is still there.

I agree. And it's not like it's never happened with full backs moving to an anchorman position, Kimmich and Alaba are two great examples.

I'm not only mentioning 1998, I'm mentioning the period 1995-2000 when we used my system and we qualified for two finals and the play-off of one. You could say that the midfield was better back then, with McAllister, Collins, Lambert, etc, but I honestly think my midfield trip of Fraser, Robertson and McTominay are comparable, or could be. The central defenders are as poor now as they were then, apart from Colin Hendry, which is pretty much why we used a three.

Agreed, also because the managers that we're looking at aren't as progressive or clever enough to switch to my system. 

On ‎4‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 9:25 AM, ONeils4oyarder said:

I've worked it out...you're either Scott McTominays da' or his girlfriend.

I think that remark looks a little bit silly now. A week since I posted this and virtually everyone is raving about him now.

I started this thread exactly a week ago, and since then he's given a Man of the Match display against Barcelona, overshadowing Messi in the process. In that gave he won 100% of his tackles, 100% of his aerial duels and recovered the ball 5 times. His pass completion was 80% and completed to of three take-ons.

29 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I think that remark looks a little bit silly now. A week since I posted this and virtually everyone is raving about him now.

I started this thread exactly a week ago, and since then he's given a Man of the Match display against Barcelona, overshadowing Messi in the process. In that gave he won 100% of his tackles, 100% of his aerial duels and recovered the ball 5 times. His pass completion was 80% and completed to of three take-ons.

Congratulations on your discovery of Scott mctominey. You are officially awesome and everyone loves you 👍🏻

32 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Just think back about 14 months ago when very few cared if he picked us over England and claimed he probably wasn't commited to Scotland cause he had refused a call up. 

3 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Just think back about 14 months ago when very few cared if he picked us over England and claimed he probably wasn't commited to Scotland cause he had refused a call up. 

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. 14 months ago he wasnt getting much game time so people were probably not too fussed, theres no doubt some would jump to conclusions but you will struggle to find anyone who doesn't want him in the starting 11 nowadays.

8 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Congratulations on your discovery of Scott mctominey. You are officially awesome and everyone loves you 👍🏻

Thank you. 

I knew I'd win you all over sooner or later... and to think, all it took was me not caring.

4 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

I know. Just shows that fans are really fickle.

And these days he turns up for Scotland duty whilst suffering from stomach flu and suffering from the runs.

The Man United fans are much worse, though. A year or so ago they were calling McTominay "Mourinho's pet project", etc. Just a few weeks ago most of them were saying that McTominay had no future at United as they "didn't know what he was good at".

5 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Thank you. 

I knew I'd win you all over sooner or later... and to think, all it took was me not caring.

I know. Just shows that fans are really fickle.

And these days he turns up for Scotland duty whilst suffering from stomach flu and suffering from the runs.

The Man United fans are much worse, though. A year or so ago they were calling McTominay "Mourinho's pet project", etc. Just a few weeks ago most of them were saying that McTominay had no future at United as they "didn't know what he was good at".

Yup, you care so little that you're quoting posts from 5 days ago to reinforce your point.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

7 days ago.

It wasn't done to win people over, it was done to suggest that some football fans are too reactionary.

It was done because you cant let anything go, when you think you're right you love to reinforce it.

Football fans are reactionary? Really, well fuck me sideways, any more Pearl's of wisdom to share?

6 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

It was done because you cant let anything go, when you think you're right you love to reinforce it.

Football fans are reactionary? Really, well fuck me sideways, any more Pearl's of wisdom to share?

And? Do you state the obvious as a hobby or are you a professional?

Tons, but don't get greedy. Today's quota has been fulfilled. Always leave them wanting more is my motto.

11 hours ago, Chripper said:

Silly fuck all...I've rated the boy since I 1st seen him, I just don't have the same rager for him as you do.

1 minute ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I've rated the boy....I've never felt the need to talk about him on social media, day after day after day after day

To be fair, I talk about 3-5-2 a LOT more than I do about McTominay. I also talk a lot about Robertson and his potential to be a kickass anchorman.

You're pretty much new here, so I give you a bye for not knowing the aforementioned details.

8 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I skim past most of your shite...I was just a bit taken by your man-love for McTominay thats all.

I've been on here for 20 years...how long do you have to be on before you're 'not new'?

Man love? Dude, you're one who said that you had a boner for him when you first saw him. 

172 posts in 20 years? So,  you post 8 posts per year. Do you just not have much to say?

15 hours ago, stevenmcn said:

That's not how I remember it.  I remember most people thinking it was a great move by McLeish at a time when McLeish wasn't getting many compliments from fans.  

23 hours ago, PASTA Mick said:

That's not how I remember it.  I remember most people thinking it was a great move by McLeish at a time when McLeish wasn't getting many compliments from fans.  

Yeah, it was heralded as a huge coup. Hopefully he continues to go from strength to strength. I can't wait to read the first article about him that praises his brilliant performance and doesn't have a statement at the end along the lines of "but of course, he'll probably never be THAT good". 

Exact same was happening to Robbo 18 months ago, now even absolute wank stains like Phil Neville think he's the best left back in the world. 

Edited by mrniaboc

On 4/11/2019 at 5:02 PM, runningtings said:

With all fit and available, I would like to see:

---------------------- Bain

Tierney -- Bates -- McKenna -- Robertson

-------------------- McGregor

-------- McTominay  --------- McGinn

Forrest -------------------------------------- Fraser

--------------------- Griffiths

Armstrong, Russell, Fletcher in about there too to come on.

I agree with the team but i think Ryan Christie offers something that no other centre midfielder does.