Scott McTominay - Page 34 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

2 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

What’s your thinking with the conundrum with McGinn? Seems straightforward that he plays CAM. 

Clarke had already said McTominay is a midfielder for the Euros, although he has the right to change his mind. 

I wouldn't play mcgregor. Mcginn, gilmour and mctominay in the middle for me. I don't think Clarke would have the balls to go with that midfield.

39 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

What’s your thinking with the conundrum with McGinn? Seems straightforward that he plays CAM. 

Clarke had already said McTominay is a midfielder for the Euros, although he has the right to change his mind. 

The lack of depth in CM. McGregor has been poor for a while, Gilmour is untried and Fleck has never really shown much in a Scotland jersey. 

Clarke could fancy McGinn in CM as we have Armstrong, Christie, etc who can play CAM. He's played there quite a few times in the last year for us.

17 minutes ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

The lack of depth in CM. McGregor has been poor for a while, Gilmour is untried and Fleck has never really shown much in a Scotland jersey. 

Clarke could fancy McGinn in CM as we have Armstrong, Christie, etc who can play CAM. He's played there quite a few times in the last year for us.

Oh, I see. I think he will play McGregor and McTominay with McGinn ahead. I’d play Gilmour instead of McGregor though. He is more tenacious and gets in about players much quicker, not to mention his touch and vision. 

The other option is a back four with a midfield diamond of Gilmour deep, McTominay and Tierney in the middle and McGinn at the top. Won’t happen, although it might in the future. 

47 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Oh, I see. I think he will play McGregor and McTominay with McGinn ahead. I’d play Gilmour instead of McGregor though. He is more tenacious and gets in about players much quicker, not to mention his touch and vision. 

The other option is a back four with a midfield diamond of Gilmour deep, McTominay and Tierney in the middle and McGinn at the top. Won’t happen, although it might in the future. 

I've made my feelings about McGregor's deficiencies well known in the past. And that was even before this dreadful season. But I've made my peace that Clarke will almost certainly select him in the starting 11. So, as with everyone else, I'm giving him a clean slate for the Euros. Especially since Clarke will have far more time in training to really boot him up the arse a few times and get him to mark up and track runners. 

Saying that, Clarke did drop him against Austria. So you never know.

11 hours ago, Blantyre_Braveheart said:

Happy Man Utd lost as the sycophantic punditry team turned me into a Villarreal fan for the night. Just so dismissive it was unreal.

Gutted for McTominay on a personal level though but he can take confidence in being the best player on the park by a wide distance.

A midfield of

McTominay Gilmour

McGinn

Would be very high level.

McTominay at CB and McGinn dropped down to CM would significantly weaken us. McTominay isn't a CB and is wasted there. McGinn is a goalscorer at CAM and is nonexistent at CM. 

Dont want to take the thread off topic but have to agree the commentary was shocking. I started off with no particular allegiance but comments like ‘Villarreal are relying on scraps to hit on the counter’ when they were holding their own the entire match, had me desperate for them to win in the end .  
Man U goalie should have been subbed for penalties, bad managerial decision IMO having a guy who hasnt saved a penalty in over 5 yrs in goal for shoot out in the European cup final. 

Just glad like everyone else that McTominay came away unscathed, feared the worst when he went down late in the game. 

I will be absolutely stunned if Clarke picks Gilmour in any starting 11. 
I hope I’m wrong but I think in Clarke’s eyes, he’s just making up the numbers and had it not been for the injuries to Jack and McLean, I don’t think he’d even have been in the squad. 
Like I say, I hope I’m wrong. 

27 minutes ago, Marky said:

I will be absolutely stunned if Clarke picks Gilmour in any starting 11. 
I hope I’m wrong but I think in Clarke’s eyes, he’s just making up the numbers and had it not been for the injuries to Jack and McLean, I don’t think he’d even have been in the squad. 
Like I say, I hope I’m wrong. 

Think squad meet up tomorrow. 

That's a lot of time of Clarke watching Gilmour bossing training.

On 5/27/2021 at 8:05 AM, vanderark14 said:

I wouldn't play mcgregor. Mcginn, gilmour and mctominay in the middle for me. I don't think Clarke would have the balls to go with that midfield.

I wouldn't play mcgregor full stop, hes fucking gash. Shouldnt even be there.

On 5/27/2021 at 1:53 PM, bossman4 said:

Squad fly to Spain today. 

Fucking baffling decision aswell, celtic got dogs abuse for flying to dubai too

5 minutes ago, Kirk said:

Fucking baffling decision aswell, celtic got dogs abuse for flying to dubai too

Are you having a laugh? Celtic flew to Dubai a week after the whole country went into lockdown so it’s hardly the same thing.

You realise we are playing the Netherlands in Portugal next week don’t you?

European squads are going to be travelling all over Europe for a month. 

12 minutes ago, Texas Pete said:

Are you having a laugh? Celtic flew to Dubai a week after the whole country went into lockdown so it’s hardly the same thing.

Plus they are not allowed out the camp they are in, not even for a walk. It has everything they need, pitches, gym etc plus a 9 hole golf course. Its not as if they will be going on a jolly round the local bars like a certain Mr Duffy did 🤣

1 hour ago, Texas Pete said:

😁

McGregor is a good solid midfielder who does the basics very well. He keeps the ball ticking over and reads the game better than most.

Having a potentially better midfielder in Gilmour doesnt make McGregor gash. 

We have a horrible habit in this country at hounding players when a new player of the month comes along. In my opinion Gilmour's career will far outweigh McGregors however he will stay have a part to play over the coming years.

Guest Scot1
On 5/30/2021 at 3:16 PM, Malcolm said:

I think tierney is ok in a three man defence as long as he is allowed to attack in the same way as if he was a wing back

I think Tierney in midfield is the last piece of the puzzle, it gives us the aggressive, vocal, dynamic, mobile defensive midfielder we’re missing, and it allows us to switch to 4-3-3 which best suits the squad. I also think it would be good for Tierney, he’ll develop as a player and be more involved in games. 
a midfield 3 of 

Tierney Gilmour McTominay 

could play together for another decade

1 minute ago, Scot1 said:

it allows us to switch to 4-3-3 which best suits the squad

It doesn't. 

That system, or a variant of it, is a contributing factor to why we had to wait 23 years to reach another tournament. 

I agree about Tierney, though. Every team needs aggression and a defensive dynamic in midfield. 

Guest Scot1
Just now, Taylor1996 said:

It doesn't. 

That system, or a variant of it, is a contributing factor to why we had to wait 23 years to reach another tournament. 

I agree about Tierney, though. Every team needs aggression and a defensive dynamic in midfield. 

It does, with the inclusion of Patterson and Hanley and Cooper showing that they can play at a decent level, we can go 4-3-3 and get the best out of the players within the squad 

Guest Scot1

GK

Patterson. Hanley/Gallagher Cooper Robbo

Mctominay Gilmour Tierney

Fraser/Turnbull Dykes McGinn

The squad is shouting 4-3-3 to me