Scott McTominay - Page 15 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

5 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

McTominay is a good player no doubt but he is FAR from the finished article.

The Russia game flagged up major warning signs to me and to be honest I would’ve taken him off in that game. The number of times Golovin found space in front of our defence because of McTominays poor positioning and lack of awareness that night was a real concern.

Yes he can pass a ball, yes he’s physically and mentally strong, yes he’s a good athlete who can go box to box and yes he can strike a ball. But his defensive positioning and awareness needs to improve to be a top midfielder.

Aye, agreed on all fronts. 

Not that we expect him to be the finished article at this stage, 22 years old with, what, under 50 appearances for his club? At first team level anyway.

7 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Having gotten around to seeing the highlights of the Norwich v Man U last night, the goal McTominay costs his side really, really annoyed me. 

I think he's already one of our best players and should be starting (when not suspended for daft bookings) but my god, that goal... fair enough you get caught on the ball, it happens, but I don't care if the game is done, you're at fault, your team is in danger, you burst your arse to hare after the guy. He just jogs back, casually, staying behind the Norwich player. Doesn't even put in a sprint. Was like Charlie Adam in Wales. 

Really does my tits in, that. 

I know it is a bit harsh, given he has been their best performing player for awhile now and had a good game by all accounts (took his goal really well) but that sort of thing in a player worries me. 

Did you watch the whole match, though?

I'm not for one moment saying that he was tired at that moment, because he wasn't, but he covered every single blade. 

Besides, I don't mind him doing that kind of thing. His natural game is to receive the ball and take on players, he has the most amount of successful dribbles in the EPL this season, believe or not. If he loses it, fine, I would rather he stick to him natural game and be risky than to stay safe at all times.

Besides, it's not like he did it in his own box, he had three united players in front of him, I think it was Fred that put in a powder puff tackle.

I've watched every minute of Manchester United this season. McTominay is definitely developing. I wish he had help in midfield, though, because players like Fred and Matic, etc, are no help whatsoever. Plus it doesn't help that Pogba is on holiday... I mean, recovering for "injury"...

All in all, he's coming along nicely. If he saw him in pre-season you'll know that there's a lot more to come from him. Since the season started he's been rather reserved, but he is coming out of his shell. His game is all about energy and striding forward with the ball. I've lost count on how many times he's been fouled as he strides forward with the ball.

He isn't an anchorman. He's the best midfielder we have at taking the ball and breaking lines.

If Pogba and Fred and the rest of the United players had half his heart and desire, United wouldn't be struggling in the league.

15 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Did you watch the whole match, though?

I'm not for one moment saying that he was tired at that moment, because he wasn't, but he covered every single blade. 

Besides, I don't mind him doing that kind of thing. His natural game is to receive the ball and take on players, he has the most amount of successful dribbles in the EPL this season, believe or not. If he loses it, fine, I would rather he stick to him natural game and be risky than to stay safe at all times.

Besides, it's not like he did it in his own box, he had three united players in front of him, I think it was Fred that put in a powder puff tackle.

I've watched every minute of Manchester United this season. McTominay is definitely developing. I wish he had help in midfield, though, because players like Fred and Matic, etc, are no help whatsoever. Plus it doesn't help that Pogba is on holiday... I mean, recovering for "injury"...

All in all, he's coming along nicely. If he saw him in pre-season you'll know that there's a lot more to come from him. Since the season started he's been rather reserved, but he is coming out of his shell. His game is all about energy and striding forward with the ball. I've lost count on how many times he's been fouled as he strides forward with the ball.

He isn't an anchorman. He's the best midfielder we have at taking the ball and breaking lines.

If Pogba and Fred and the rest of the United players had half his heart and desire, United wouldn't be struggling in the league.

No. Did the highlights leave out a part of the Norwich goal that changes it in any way? Have they doctored the footage to show McTominay nonchalantly jogging back after being easily robbed when in reality he was bursting his arse to get back and retrieve the situation? 

The guy is a very good player already and is well on the way to being an excellent one. By all accounts he had a great game and took his goal really well. He has been the best outfield player for Man U this season thus far. But he should have shown more desire to get back and make up for his glaring error in that moment, not just jogged back in the norwich player's wake. 

No player is perfect, especially at that age. Coming along very nicely indeed, but he can and should do better and do more there. 

11 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

In my eyes he was MOTM against Chelsea. Rashford only got it because of his world class goal.

A brilliant display by Scott McTominay, a typical all-action, energic display. Breaking up Chelsea attacks time after time, and one his tackles lead to United's penalty.

Game by game he's improving steadily.

Agree, thought he was excellent again. Has a real presence about him, seems like a natural leader to me.

I still think he is better suited to being a more offensive midfielder, than in the deep position. There are times where he takes the ball when from the defenders and when under pressure he doesn't (yet) have the awareness or close control to get out of it so he either overruns the ball or gets tackled. 

Guest ElChris04

Absolutely phenomenal stat to look at, McTominay would be my preferred captain.

hope Clarke makes it happens so we can see the old Robertson back for Scotland and not this unconfident self, aswell as McTominay dictating the midfield with his leadership qualities which are evident at Utd. 

Really hope he gets himself a goal for Scotland in these next two, imagine the reaction fae the fans. 

He really is coming on leaps and bounds. Praying he doesn't get injured. 

28 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

hope Clarke makes it happens so we can see the old Robertson back for Scotland and not this unconfident self, aswell as McTominay dictating the midfield with his leadership qualities which are evident at Utd. 

That term “baller” rips the fuck out of my knitting. It is an Americanised wanky as fuck word beyond all wankiness. 😣

4 hours ago, bazmidd said:

Midfield of Gilmour at the base pulling the strings, McTominay and McGinn snapping into tackles and driving forward beside him is the future of our Midfield. Plain as day, just get the ball rolling already. 

This is the way I see it going in an ideal world, unless anyone else comes along. The old firm players just won't be playing at the same level as these 3. 

Guest ElChris04

Neil Lennon Said Recently That he wouldn’t be afraid to play Christie as a CF/ST If eddy needs as rest as he has the finishing ability to do so. I feel him in a CF role with McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour Behind him is something very very spicy. 

Edited by ElChris04

6 hours ago, AndyDD said:

No. Did the highlights leave out a part of the Norwich goal that changes it in any way? Have they doctored the footage to show McTominay nonchalantly jogging back after being easily robbed when in reality he was bursting his arse to get back and retrieve the situation? 

The guy is a very good player already and is well on the way to being an excellent one. By all accounts he had a great game and took his goal really well. He has been the best outfield player for Man U this season thus far. But he should have shown more desire to get back and make up for his glaring error in that moment, not just jogged back in the Norwich player's wake. 

No player is perfect, especially at that age. Coming along very nicely indeed, but he can and should do better and do more there. 

No idea. I didn't watch the highlights.

I watched the entire match, where, for 90 minutes he covered every single blade of grass... Twice. Yes, he lost the ball for the Nowich goal, but he didn't lose it in his own box. There was three United between the Norwich player and De Gea, one of which, (I think it was Fred), gave a powder puff challenge.

As I said, I'd rather have a player who takes risks than a player who always takes the safe option.

If he the last man I think he would've busted a gut.

I would suggest you watch the Chelsea match, when you have time: https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2019/10/30/chelsea-vs-manchester-united-highlights-full-match-carabao/

His best display this season. Bossed a midfield that cost £110m (+ Gilmour) pretty much single handed.

One of the great things about last nught's game is that he got booked in 10 nins (Loved the tackle) but it didn't get in the way of the way that he plays the game.

I'd give him the number 16, as the way he's going he's turning into a Roy Keane type player.

6 hours ago, gonzohiggy said:

Agree, thought he was excellent again. Has a real presence about him, seems like a natural leader to me.

I still think he is better suited to being a more offensive midfielder, than in the deep position. There are times where he takes the ball when from the defenders and when under pressure he doesn't (yet) have the awareness or close control to get out of it so he either overruns the ball or gets tackled. 

Definitely. Ole is definitely seeing that now, so hopefully he'll buy an anchorman in January and allow the shakes to be taken off McTominay.

At youth level he played as a number 10, so it makes sense that his attacking sensibilities are more advanced than his defensive ones.

1 hour ago, ElChris04 said:

Love that stat. McTominay, the king of dribblers. ;)

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

No idea. I didn't watch the highlights.

I watched the entire match, where, for 90 minutes he covered every single blade of grass... Twice. Yes, he lost the ball for the Nowich goal, but he didn't lose it in his own box. There was three United between the Norwich player and De Gea, one of which, (I think it was Fred), gave a powder puff challenge.

As I said, I'd rather have a player who takes risks than a player who always takes the safe option.

If he the last man I think he would've busted a gut.

I would suggest you watch the Chelsea match, when you have time: https://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2019/10/30/chelsea-vs-manchester-united-highlights-full-match-carabao/

His best display this season. Bossed a midfield that cost £110m (+ Gilmour) pretty much single handed.

One of the great things about last nught's game is that he got booked in 10 nins (Loved the tackle) but it didn't get in the way of the way that he plays the game.

I'd give him the number 16, as the way he's going he's turning into a Roy Keane type player.

I don't dispute how good he is or how much ground he covers. 

I said that he lost the ball, I even said hey that can happen, but that I was disappointed with how little effort he put in to make up for this and try to win it back. I do not want my centre mids to lose the ball and go 'ah well, i'll just leave this to my defenders and goalie, i'm not the last man so nevermind'. I want them to put a chase in,  a proper chase, to try and win the ball back or try to get back in front of the opponent. 

Good that he was able to get through the rest of the game despite the booking tightrope, but he has a wee bit of a habit for getting yellows. Going to cost us and Man U at some point, is the fear.. He was missed in Moscow, that's for sure. And he comes right back from suspension to get booked again against San Marino. Granted, that was a harsh booking for me, but it still means that if he gets booked in Cyprus he will again miss a match. He needs to watch that. 

1 minute ago, AndyDD said:

I said that he lost the ball, I even said hey that can happen, but that I was disappointed with how little effort he put in to make up for this and try to win it back. I do not want my centre mids to lose the ball and go 'ah well, i'll just leave this to my defenders and goalie, i'm not the last man so nevermind'. I want them to put a chase in,  a proper chase, to try and win the ball back or try to get back in front of the opponent. 

Good that he was able to get through the rest of the game despite the booking tightrope, but he has a wee bit of a habit for getting yellows. Going to cost us and Man U at some point, is the fear.. He was missed in Moscow, that's for sure. And he comes right back from suspension to get booked again against San Marino. Granted, that was a harsh booking for me, but it still means that if he gets booked in Cyprus he will again miss a match. He needs to watch that. 

He still has critics at Old Trafford, but I doubt any of them would cite "lack of effort" as a bat to beat him with, in fact, no one would.

He didn't bust a gut to get back because the Norwich lad still had three united players to get past, four if you count De Gea.

I don't think OGS will give him Peters for not busting a gut, as he spent 90 mins busting a gut all match to cover for his team mates mistakes. It's a team game, remember. I'd actually blame Fred (I think it was him) than McTominay.

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

He still has critics at Old Trafford, but I doubt any of them would cite "lack of effort" as a bat to beat him with, in fact, no one would.

He didn't bust a gut to get back because the Norwich lad still had three united players to get past, four if you count De Gea.

I don't think OGS will give him Peters for not busting a gut, as he spent 90 mins busting a gut all match to cover for his team mates mistakes. It's a team game, remember. I'd actually blame Fred (I think it was him) than McTominay.

In that moment, he was too laid back for my liking. It stuck out to me precisely because it's so unlike him. 

I believe Solskjaer did mention it post-match, something along the lines of 'Scotty knows it's an error...' but he might have been referring to just the losing of the ball. I don't really care what Solskjaer does or does not make of it, I'd be annoyed if any player for my team did that. In fact, i'd give someone grief at five or seven asides if they lost the ball and never bothered their arse to get back. 

Maybe i'm just a hard task master that way, but it annoys me; if you lose the ball in your own half, you don't just leave it for the defence to deal with and you do try to get after the opponent with the aim of winning the ball back.

I'm sure overall, like anyone, his manager will have been pleased with his performance. I'm sure his manager, like anyone, will point to that goal as something he should try to avoid. 

39 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Neil Lennon Said Recently That he wouldn’t be afraid to play Christie as a CF/ST If eddy needs as rest as he has the finishing ability to do so. I feel him in a CF role with McTominay, McGinn and Gilmour Behind him is something very very spicy. 

If Scotland's style of play were similar to Celtic's I'd be in total agreement.  But would Christie be of any use with Clarke's route 1 hoofball tactics?

2 hours ago, WCTA said:

That term “baller” rips the fuck out of my knitting. It is an Americanised wanky as fuck word beyond all wankiness. 😣

Bang on. Fucking honkin'. 

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Hell, I enjoy the NBCsn coverage of the EPL more than BT's or Sky's.

Their fanzones are something else. Who wouldn't love WWE wrestlers screaming Liverpool songs into a microphone? :lol: 

28 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

In that moment, he was too laid back for my liking. It stuck out to me precisely because it's so unlike him. 

I believe Solskjaer did mention it post-match, something along the lines of 'Scotty knows it's an error...' but he might have been referring to just the losing of the ball. I don't really care what Solskjaer does or does not make of it, I'd be annoyed if any player for my team did that. In fact, i'd give someone grief at five or seven asides if they lost the ball and never bothered their arse to get back. 

Maybe i'm just a hard task master that way, but it annoys me; if you lose the ball in your own half, you don't just leave it for the defence to deal with and you do try to get after the opponent with the aim of winning the ball back.

I'm sure overall, like anyone, his manager will have been pleased with his performance. I'm sure his manager, like anyone, will point to that goal as something he should try to avoid. 

I doubt it would be discussed, to be honest.

1 minute ago, Dave78 said:

Their fanzones are something else. Who wouldn't love WWE wrestlers screaming Liverpool songs into a microphone? :lol: 

:lol:

You know what the strange thing is? Generally, the NBCsn streams are clearer and more stable than BT or Sky. 

The NBCsn streams are always in HD, BT and Sky streams usually look like they're being beamed from Mars.

59 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

I think bookings get wiped after the qualifiers so I think he should be OK for the play off? But Clarke should be checking up on that as we wouldn't want him to be suspended for the play off.

Edited by Orraloon

1 minute ago, Orraloon said:

I think bookings get wiped after the qualifiers so I think he should be OK for the play off? But Clarke should checking up on that as we wouldn't want him to be suspended for the play off.

That's good, suppose it's not the end of the world if he misses Kazakhstan at Hampden but ideally he is able to play in that game as well by avoiding getting booked in Cyprus.