Scott McTominay - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

9 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

In fairness, as much as I wouldn't judge players purely on how they play for us, ultimately isn't that all that matters? 

When discussing who should play for Scotland, what matters most is surely how they play for Scotland. 

I totally get that argument, but I do think it's a little short-sighted to judge a player purely on their performances for a disorganised team suffering an acute lack of confidence. 

You see it happen all the time at various clubs and countries. I mean it even happened at Barcelona recently! 

4 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I totally get that argument, but I do think it's a little short-sighted to judge a player purely on their performances for a disorganised team suffering an acute lack of confidence. 

You see it happen all the time at various clubs and countries. I mean it even happened at Barcelona recently! 

I agree, it is short-sighted and unfair to judge any player on so little evidence. I think, though, we are all guilty of that when it comes to Scotland players. 

How often do you see folk say things like 'X is NEVER an international, Y should never be called up again' etc. I have myself judged Palmer on, what, 3 caps for Scotland and a few minutes of english league highlights. I don't expect time will prove him to be actually an effective player at right back for us, but technically i am judging him on a tiny amount of football. We are all prone to it. 

McGinn has 19 caps, and has been playing for Scotland for 4 years, Id say thats plenty of time to judge him. Ive no interest in English fitba, and even less interest in the dullest club there, but did watch Hibs games, and he looked promising, but he certainly hasnt improved since then, based on his caps.

Edited by kumnio

On 10/28/2019 at 12:22 AM, mrniaboc said:

I wasn't joking. If I was, I'd have said there's two ducks flying over Belfast, and ones goes "quack quack" and the other goes "Mate, I'm going as quack as I can". Only really works of you say it out loud in a Northern Irish accent though. 

But I guess you might be right? People admiring two of the currently most lauded midfielders in the EPL is laughable. It's the way you tell them. 

You still don't get it, do you? He's a part of the very small contingent of people that think you're me. He's not laughing at your "A midfield of McT and McG will be the envy of the world", etc. He's laughing AT you, as he think you're me.

Here endeth the lesson.

9 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You still don't get it, do you? He's a part of the very small contingent of people that think you're me. He's not laughing at your "A midfield of McT and McG will be the envy of the world", etc. He's laughing AT you, as he think you're me.

Here endeth the lesson.

I'm not sure I believe that. I think he was just laughing because he thinks it's an outrageous statement and that no-one will ever be envious of McTominay and McGinn as a midfield pairing. Which is fair enough as an opinion. I just think they are very good players who are still getting better. 

34 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I'm not sure I believe that. I think he was just laughing because he thinks it's an outrageous statement and that no-one will ever be envious of McTominay and McGinn as a midfield pairing. Which is fair enough as an opinion. I just think they are very good players who are still getting better. 

You're wrong. Mate, I think you're highly underestimating the paranoia of one particular person. It rhymes with "Varcity" :P  Read their other posts and you'll see that he's serious. He thinks that I have three usernames, and you're one of them.

Hilarious? Yes. Cringe-worthy? Oh my yes!

Of course they're good. And I agree with you. Play them in a three man midfield, add some defensive cover and we'll see how good they are.

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You're wrong. Mate, I think you're highly underestimating the paranoia of one particular person. It rhymes with "Varcity" :P  Read their other posts and you'll see that he's serious. He thinks that I have three usernames, and you're one of them.

Hilarious? Yes. Cringe-worthy? Oh my yes!

Of course they're good. And I agree with you. Play them in a three man midfield, add some defensive cover and we'll see how good they are.

But this wasn't Farcity, it was Kumino. 

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Haha dude I think you're getting confused. We're talking about the guy laughing at my suggestion in this thread right? 

Also I made a mistake. It was WCTA, not Kumnio. Apologies. 

3 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Haha dude I think you're getting confused. We're talking about the guy laughing at my suggestion in this thread right? 

Also I made a mistake. It was WCTA, not Kumnio. Apologies. 

I think you should re-read what i said.

13 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

You still don't get it, do you? He's a part of the very small contingent of people that think you're me.

"Contingent" means a group.

4 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I think you should re-read what i said.

"Contingent" means a group.

I'm actually fairly well-educated cheers mate. 

I replied to a post from WCTA laughing at my suggestion. You then replied to my post saying that I don't get it and that WCTA is part of a group of people on here who think you and I are the same person. 

I really do not know where you got that info from? We weren't even talking about you. Because he laughed at me? You're not the only one who gets laughed at on here. 

Maybe I missed another post or something though? 

Anyway, this thread is going way off topic. 

McTominay is going from strength to strength and it's great to see. Hopefully he can keep going and the rest of his team get their act together too! Would like to see him playing Champions League football, but it's not looking likely for next season. 

27 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I replied to a post from WCTA laughing at my suggestion. You then replied to my post saying that I don't get it and that WCTA is part of a group of people on here who think you and I are the same person. 

I really do not know where you got that info from? We weren't even talking about you. Because he laughed at me? You're not the only one who gets laughed at on here. 

Errrrr.... Ok.

Are you joking?

Dude, if "Dark Knight/Mrniaboc/Rab." (This suggests that all three usernames are me) doesn't fill in the dots then maybe you aren't as educated as you think you are. :P

32 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

I absolutely do not think you are the Dark Knight. I’ve never once suggested anything of the sort.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Errrrr.... Ok.

Are you joking?

Dude, if "Dark Knight/Mrniaboc/Rab." (This suggests that all three usernames are me) doesn't fill in the dots then maybe you aren't as educated as you think you are. :P

Mate, that's a quote from Farcity (from weeks ago in a completely different thread), not WCTA! What are you on about?! 

31 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Anyway, this thread is going way off topic. 

McTominay is going from strength to strength and it's great to see. Hopefully he can keep going and the rest of his team get their act together too! Would like to see him playing Champions League football, but it's not looking likely for next season. 

He's having a good season. Certainly better than Fred, Pogba, Matic, etc.

People forget that this is his first real season as as first team member. The start of next season he'll be a far better player.

59 minutes ago, kumnio said:

Ive skipped most posts on this thread, but some people are clearly fucking bonkers. I doubt reading every post would make me think different.

Which one? The person who thinks that I have multiple accounts or the person who thinks a midfield of McTominay and McGinn wouldn't be envied?

I pick both.

Having gotten around to seeing the highlights of the Norwich v Man U last night, the goal McTominay costs his side really, really annoyed me. 

I think he's already one of our best players and should be starting (when not suspended for daft bookings) but my god, that goal... fair enough you get caught on the ball, it happens, but I don't care if the game is done, you're at fault, your team is in danger, you burst your arse to hare after the guy. He just jogs back, casually, staying behind the Norwich player. Doesn't even put in a sprint. Was like Charlie Adam in Wales. 

Really does my tits in, that. 

I know it is a bit harsh, given he has been their best performing player for awhile now and had a good game by all accounts (took his goal really well) but that sort of thing in a player worries me. 

5 minutes ago, AndyDD said:

Having gotten around to seeing the highlights of the Norwich v Man U last night, the goal McTominay costs his side really, really annoyed me. 

I think he's already one of our best players and should be starting (when not suspended for daft bookings) but my god, that goal... fair enough you get caught on the ball, it happens, but I don't care if the game is done, you're at fault, your team is in danger, you burst your arse to hare after the guy. He just jogs back, casually, staying behind the Norwich player. Doesn't even put in a sprint. Was like Charlie Adam in Wales. 

Really does my tits in, that. 

I know it is a bit harsh, given he has been their best performing player for awhile now and had a good game by all accounts (took his goal really well) but that sort of thing in a player worries me. 

McTominay is a good player no doubt but he is FAR from the finished article.

The Russia game flagged up major warning signs to me and to be honest I would’ve taken him off in that game. The number of times Golovin found space in front of our defence because of McTominays poor positioning and lack of awareness that night was a real concern.

Yes he can pass a ball, yes he’s physically and mentally strong, yes he’s a good athlete who can go box to box and yes he can strike a ball. But his defensive positioning and awareness needs to improve to be a top midfielder.