Scott McTominay - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

6 hours ago, mrniaboc said:

Seriously though dude, your man has a valid point. It's not so much that we're not up for considering or discussing a change in formation, it's that you turn so many different threads into this one discussion. 

Can't you see how that would make people exasperated? I guess maybe not, as you have self-identified as being "not a people person", so as a people person myself trust me when I tell you it really does make people exasperated. This is why you are being met with such negativity. It's not the idea of a formation change that does it, it's your style of presentation.

This is a football forum. We want to discuss formations. But we also want to talk about other stuff too! Why don't you create a thread for discussing formation experimentation and try and keep the majority of it there? Then people who genuinely do want to think about it and discuss it with you have an appropriate place to do it. 

And if you weren't paying attention, the last time I mentioned formations is when Texas Pete brought it up: 16 repiles down.

It actually happened 80% of the time. I very rarely initiate the conversation and make about formation. Usually, everyone else does and I get the blame for it.  Nice.

16 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think some one should start a "formations and a reality check" thread so we don't have to put up with it being in a thread were you would expect to find information about Scott McTominay.

Forum's really are simple to use unless some one else doesn't understand how.

You're right.

I made one. https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/14378-formations-and-a-much-needed-reality-check/

5 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

I think a formations thread would be good, as this one is about McTominay, who had another good game yesterday. Fire up a formations thread @The_Dark_Knight, I'm happy to contribute as seen above, so long as everybody's opinion is respected and not patronised.

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/14378-formations-and-a-much-needed-reality-check/

I bet some wee snowflake complains about me discussing formation in that thread. I give it a couple of days.

5 hours ago, AndyDD said:

Interesting to note that Liverpool absolutely dominated the second half and adapted to the Man U formation by switching to... 

... the 4-2-3-1, a formation maligned as 'old-fashioned' and 'backwards' and for those who are lacking knowledge of the game on more than one occasion on here.

This freed up space for their fullbacks, which especially told when Robbo managed to get down the left hand side, put a ball into the box and... a goal was scored.

Look right through the leagues in Scotland and, if you must, england, even around Europe, and you will be able to find various formations working to various degrees for various clubs with varying levels of players in varying circumstances. 

You don't need top quality centre halves to win a match with four at the back, nor does 3 at the back without 90 days of non-stop training on the formation beforehand automatically mean you will be as bad as Scotland were in Isreal. Scotland's failure to qualify is not because of 4 at the back, nor is it because we don't have a Kenny Dalglish or a gareth bale. It also isn't because the SFA needs to be disbanded and the earth salted where they sat, just like it isn't because we aren't playing six or 7 under-21 players. 

I confidently predict all such arguments will from here cease, never to return... 

I joke. I enjoy the formation chat, even if I think it's a bit of a red-herring at times. It does have a tendency to get awfully tedious though when the same arguments are rehashed.

The topic at hand; McTominay did reasonably well which is heartening and he's a player who often looks a cut above several others, but he still sometimes seems a bit, I don't know, hesitant? He also has a worrying tendency to get booked for us, which could prove costly down the line (albeit we have relative strength in depth in that area). 

He's hit the bar twice for us, in my immediate memory, but it'd be grand if he could add goals to his game. 

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/14378-formations-and-a-much-needed-reality-check/

41 minutes ago, gonzohiggy said:

Don't think he's anywhere near his peak yet but he's still class. Looks to me like he could develop into a real box to box midfielder. Great engine, can pass, can shoot and has a presence. 

This is his first season that he's regarded as a first choice player. A whole season as a starter will be great for his development.

Exactly. He's a box-to-box midfielder. He's not got the defensive awareness of being an anchorman, at least, not yet.

16 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

This is his first season that he's regarded as a first choice player. A whole season as a starter will be great for his development.

Exactly. He's a box-to-box midfielder. He's not got the defensive awareness of being an anchorman, at least, not yet.

Some of his best performances have been as anchorman. He's got the ability to do both tbh. If he keeps up his development he will be too good for this united team. He could play for any club in the world. We are lucky to have him.

Edited by mccaughey85

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Some of his best performances have been as anchorman. He's got the ability to do both tbh. If he keeps up his development he will be too good for this united team. He could play for any club in the world. We are lucky to have him.

That's because most his performance have come when he's been deployed as an anchorman. When he's been allowed to stride forward that's when he does his best work.

Agreed. We are lucky to have him. And the fact that he chose us over England speaks volumes about his commitment and character. He's every bit as good as Rice or Henderson, etc.

He's getting better with every match.

15 minutes ago, noctonjock said:

Calm down it was only Norwich . Grant Hanley plays for them remember 

That's probably what Man City said before their match with Norwich a few week ago..

Yeah, and McLean, who barely bad a touch of the ball.

I doubt anyone is getting carried away.

But since it's pretty much the lad's first real season, outshing a duo that cost a combined £152m, as well as dominating Norwich's (as well as Leicester's) midfield is pretty good going.

Hopefully he stays away from any serious injury and plays an entire season. He'll progress more in one season at United than McGregor and Christie will in ten years at Celtic.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

14 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

That's probably what Man City said before their match with Norwich a few week ago..

Yeah, and McLean, who barely bad a touch of the ball.

I doubt anyone is getting carried away.

But since it's pretty much the lad's first real season, outshing a duo that cost a combined £152m, as well as dominating Norwich's (as well as Leicester's) midfield is pretty good going.

Hopefully he stays away from any serious injury and plays an entire season. He'll progress more in one season at United than McGregor and Christie will in ten years at Celtic.

Thought Rogers would have grabbed the pair of them for Leicester in the summer, now going very well obviously can't see it now. Christie more likely now with the way he's going.

9 minutes ago, JECK said:

Thought Rogers would have grabbed the pair of them for Leicester in the summer, now going very well obviously can't see it now. Christie more likely now with the way he's going.

Don’t think either of them are close to the level required to play for a top of the table EPL team.

Christie is a good player who you could see at say Newcastle for example but im unsure if McGregor is even EPL quality. 

1 hour ago, noctonjock said:

Calm down it was only Norwich . Grant Hanley plays for them remember 

Typically Scottish attitude, no one is basing him on one performance v Norwich. He is a seriously good player and plays well for united in most matches. Grant Hanley is fourth choice for  Norwich btw.

10 minutes ago, WCTA said:

😂😂😂😂😂

I wasn't joking. If I was, I'd have said there's two ducks flying over Belfast, and ones goes "quack quack" and the other goes "Mate, I'm going as quack as I can". Only really works of you say it out loud in a Northern Irish accent though. 

But I guess you might be right? People admiring two of the currently most lauded midfielders in the EPL is laughable. It's the way you tell them. 

Probably get laughed at for this, but I still think McGinn is pretty shit. I’m basing it purely on watching him for Scotland, you couldn’t pay me to watch an Aston Villa game. I know he is somehow rated at £50 million, and got a hat trick, but I’m very far from being convinced. 

4 hours ago, kumnio said:

Probably get laughed at for this, but I still think McGinn is pretty shit. I’m basing it purely on watching him for Scotland, you couldn’t pay me to watch an Aston Villa game. I know he is somehow rated at £50 million, and got a hat trick, but I’m very far from being convinced. 

Great way to form an opinion on a player that 😳

He might not be worth £50m but if you watched him a bit more frequently you would see he is certainly a good player. 

9 hours ago, kumnio said:

I wouldn't laugh at that. It's just a really weird way to go about forming opinions. Openly admitting you don't have all the data, yet presenting a conclusion. 

He's also scored 4 goals in his last 4 Scotland matches. 

In fairness, as much as I wouldn't judge players purely on how they play for us, ultimately isn't that all that matters? 

When discussing who should play for Scotland, what matters most is surely how they play for Scotland.