Scott McTominay - Page 31 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

1 hour ago, Caledonian Craig said:

McGregor, McTominay and McGinn were all rank rotten last night. In the first half I'd swear we were playing with no midfield. It improved greatly with Christie coming on and players seemed to wake from their slumber.

This.  On the rare occasions they got the ball they proceeded to do eff all with it.

There was a time we all wanted an on-form McGregor into the team and the manager wouldn't listen, but now we seem to have the exact opposite.  I've no idea what McGinn's role was in the first half.  Did he even get a touch?  How were we so outnumbered seemingly everywhere on the park?  Even when they were attacking look at the bodies they pushed forward.

Considering how utterly sh*te we were - far, FAR worse than on our last visit (I think we had 17 shots last time) - a point was a good result.  I would've bitten your hand off for a point at half-time it was that fkin bad.

• 2 weeks later...

I've been watching Scott since he first broke through. I've seen him develop and grow and mature into a fine player. There's no doubt that he's grown into an established EPL player.

He's one of my favourite players.

There is one major flaw in his game, though. I've been noticing it more and more.

He's simply not aggressive enough. He doesnt press enough and he has this habit of ball watching... instead of pressing.

I was hoping that when Darren Fletcher got a coaching gig at Manchester United his aggression would've rubbed off on McTominay. No chance of that happening now. Fletcher was only in the door for 5 minutes when United offered him the Technical Director job.

Ole should bring in Roy Keane on a part time basis in order to add a bit of devil to McTominay's game.

Below are telling EPL stats. Both play in the same role for their club:

Scott McTominay: 8 yellow (5 seasons in the EPL)

Fernandiho: 28 yellow + 4 red (5 seasons in the EPL)

8 yellows in 5 years is fine if you're a player playing in the final third of the park, but McTominay is not.

35 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I've been watching Scott since he first broke through. I've seen him develop and grow and mature into a fine player. There's no doubt that he's grown into an established EPL player.

He's one of my favourite players.

There is one major flaw in his game, though. I've been noticing it more and more.

He's simply not aggressive enough. He doesnt press enough and he has this habit of ball watching... instead of pressing.

I was hoping that when Darren Fletcher got a coaching gig at Manchester United his aggression would've rubbed off on McTominay. No chance of that happening now. Fletcher was only in the door for 5 minutes when United offered him the Technical Director job.

Ole should bring in Roy Keane on a part time basis in order to add a bit of devil to McTominay's game.

Below are telling EPL stats. Both play in the same role for their club:

Scott McTominay: 8 yellow (5 seasons in the EPL)

Fernandiho: 28 yellow + 4 red (5 seasons in the EPL)

8 yellows in 5 years is fine if you're a player playing in the final third of the park, but McTominay is not.

Berti Vogts - who may not have set the heather alight with us but who still knew a thing or two about international football - once said two attributes he prized highly in an international footballer were height and aggression.   There is no issue with the first attribute where McTominany is concerned, but maybe there is room for improvement with the second.

Roy Keane, though, shouldn't be within 100 miles of a coaching job, part-time or otherwise.  His track record in that department has shown him to be completely unsuitable for that kind of role.  

8 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Berti Vogts - who may not have set the heather alight with us but who still knew a thing or two about international football - once said two attributes he prized highly in an international footballer were height and aggression.   There is no issue with the first attribute where McTominany is concerned, but maybe there is room for improvement with the second.

Roy Keane, though, shouldn't be within 100 miles of a coaching job, part-time or otherwise.  His track record in that department has shown him to be completely unsuitable for that kind of role.  

Spot on.

It's the only thing really lacking from his game. It's the intensity and the pressing and aggression that players like Fabinho, Kante, Fernandinho have.

It's not about the cards (I'm sure some people won't get the point) it's about getting around people and being aggressive and putting them under duress. Besides, all you have to do is breathe on a player and you'll get booked nowadays. 😛

lol. Well, he could be useful part time... but maybe not. ;)

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Spot on.

It's the only thing really lacking from his game. It's the intensity and the pressing and aggression that players like Fabinho, Kante, Fernandinho have.

It's not about the cards (I'm sure some people won't get the point) it's about getting around people and being aggressive and putting them under duress. Besides, all you have to do is breathe on a player and you'll get booked nowadays. 😛

Keane was an excellent footballer and with everything he has learned about the game over the years he could be really helpful for a young player.  Unfortunately he is also the owner of a massive ego, a short temper and below-zero levels of emotional intelligence, which make him completely unsuitable for anything that requires frequent interaction with other people.  :lol:

He's best left where he is - verbally tearing strips out of overpaid, underperforming footballers on Sky Sports!

58 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Keane was an excellent footballer and with everything he has learned about the game over the years he could be really helpful for a young player.  Unfortunately he is also the owner of a massive ego, a short temper and below-zero levels of emotional intelligence, which make him completely unsuitable for anything that requires frequent interaction with other people.  :lol:

He's best left where he is - verbally tearing strips out of overpaid, underperforming footballers on Sky Sports!

lol

He definitely dances to the beat of his own drum. I do think his influence brought the United standards to a consistent level, but when it got the point were his off the field influence outweighed what he did on the pitch, it was time to go.

He was actually brought in to give the current squad motivational talks, about a month or so ago... won't surprise you to learn that he almost got into a fight with Martial. lol.

Agreed. He isn't the most tactically astute pundit, but at least he says exactly what's on his mind with only the swearing filter used. 😛

4 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Spot on.

The role model for pressing would be David Beckham. He wasn’t especially gifted but he worked very hard on the pitch and off it. 

59 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

The role model for pressing would be David Beckham. He wasn’t especially gifted but he worked very hard on the pitch and off it. 

True.

He got out every single drop of talent he had and he bridged the gap between talent and work.

McTominay has added a lot of strings to his bow, but if he added more work-related and aggression, he would improve immensely. Not saying he's lazy, but he does seem to forget that he's built like a tank.

He should watch clips of prime Darren Fletcher (09/10). He was world class that season. Too bad his illness deprived him of more glory.

18 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

lol

He definitely dances to the beat of his own drum. I do think his influence brought the United standards to a consistent level, but when it got the point were his off the field influence outweighed what he did on the pitch, it was time to go.

He was actually brought in to give the current squad motivational talks, about a month or so ago... won't surprise you to learn that he almost got into a fight with Martial. lol.

Agreed. He isn't the most tactically astute pundit, but at least he says exactly what's on his mind with only the swearing filter used. 😛

The phrase "he could start a fight with himself" could have been invented for Roy Keane.  :lol:

To be fair, I think his heart is in the right place - his desire is for the team as a whole to be successful, and that desire is genuine. Unfortunately, to realise that ambition, other human beings have to be included in the equation, and that's when the problems start!

Keane would be a great manager for a team of players who are willing to learn and respect what he achieved in the game and give 100% etc but he’s never gonna get that. Read a few of his books and he comes across well mostly and did well at Sunderland for a bit but he came across as petty doing the pundit circuit talking about his arguments with a few of the Irish lads. 

Being a top midfielder nowadays has nothing to do with aggression in the sense of getting yellow cards.

What McTom needs to learn is when its ok to just be aware of a player, have him in his sights etc and when the need is to get close to them before they receive the ball.

He will hopefully learn that over time. He has a tendency to not close somebody down until they recieve the ball which at the top level in the final 3rd is too late. 

33 minutes ago, scotlad said:

The phrase "he could start a fight with himself" could have been invented for Roy Keane.  :lol:

To be fair, I think his heart is in the right place - his desire is for the team as a whole to be successful, and that desire is genuine. Unfortunately, to realise that ambition, other human beings have to be included in the equation, and that's when the problems start!

lol

I heard the dictionary elders have altered the phrase from "He/she could start a fight in an empty room" to "Roy Keane would start a fight in an empty room". ;)

It definitely is. I would actually attribute a lot of United's success, as well as instilling a certain standard of work to the class of 92, to him.

I was watching a lot of highlights of when Ireland qualified for the World Cup in 2002. His contribution was monstrous. He dragged them almost singlehandedly (with help from Robbie Keane) to that World Cup.

3 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

Being a top midfielder nowadays has nothing to do with aggression in the sense of getting yellow cards.

What McTom needs to learn is when its ok to just be aware of a player, have him in his sights etc and when the need is to get close to them before they receive the ball.

He will hopefully learn that over time. He has a tendency to not close somebody down until they recieve the ball which at the top level in the final 3rd is too late. 

Forget about yellow cards, that's pretty much a metaphor.

Yeah. That's my point. I've been noticing it more and more this season. He has the reluctance to press. 

With our system (as well as United's system), with the double-pivot, he has to press higher, and in case he loses his man or gets lost, he has his partner to cover for him.

In 09/10 Darren Fletcher was amazing at it. I remember a game against Arsenal where he bullied their entire midfield by himself.

42 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

He means if this mooted European Super League is given the green light.

I doubt it will go ahead as Fifa would pretty much bab every single player that participates. 

Ah, right, thanks.  That makes sense.

I can't see the Super League going ahead, not in the near future. Like you say, England would have to field a virtual C team.