Scott McTominay - Page 26 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

Might be an idea if you actually watched some Scottish football instead of some weird website. Then you would know for sure who was right-footed and who was left. Not to know that Christie is a leftie is as unforgiveable as your prejudice against Stuart Armstrong for making a one-off mistake against England. 

And to add something else to that.

This is a forum where a fair number of people were perplexed and utterly dumbfounded the first time that I suggested ditching four at the back. Citing that no one plays with three at the back, and also citing that our players don't play I that system at club level.

Cut to x amount of years. 50% of the SPL teams play with a three and Scotland have qualified for their first tournament since 1998, playing with a three.

They also thought that it was physically impossible for a player to play in more than one position.

I would suggest that less people here watch Scottish football and broaden their horizon. I mean, there are 701 page in two Old Firm threads. That, to me, is embarrassing. 

So yeah. Thanks for your suggestion, but I'd rather watch good football. If that means that I don't know that Callum McGregor is left footed, well, that's just a cross I'll have to bear.

Edited by Taylor1996

13 hours ago, Burj_Alba said:

Yes, he asked if he saw Fleck wizzing past 4 Chelsea players but he hasn't seen him for the past two seasons creating chances for Sheffield with 90% left foot. 

Couldn't make it up, Think Fleck has great qualities but speed and stamina is definitely not included. May as well suggest Charlie Adam

I was going to say John Fleck must have decent speed and stamina since he played left midfield for Rangers in his early days...then I remembered his early days were over a decade ago and Charlie Adam also began his career playing left midfield for Rangers! 🤦‍♂️

22 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Good goal from the big guy tonight.

Sure was.

He's by far the best finisher available to us.

8 minutes ago, scotlad said:

I was going to say John Fleck must have decent speed and stamina since he played left midfield for Rangers in his early days...then I remembered his early days were over a decade ago and Charlie Adam also began his career playing left midfield for Rangers! 🤦‍♂️

Yeah. In retrospect, I should've known that Fleck was left footed. Still remember him playing in the Victory Shield on the left wing.

Solskjaer praises former striker McTominay for finishing with 'authority' against West Ham... with the midfielder having scored more goals for United than Pogba, Fred and Van de Beek COMBINED this season!

Dykes cant score in the English Chsmpionship. McBurnie cant score (or look capable in the EPL), Shankland is struggling in the SPL. Nisbet's numbers are fine, but he can't yet be trusted.

Who knows, McTominay could be our answer to Harry Kane. Worth a try.

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

It would be great to see John Souttar make a return from injury. He could easily play that RCB role. 

That would be nice.

On that subject, imagine all of the center backs, over the past couple of decades, that would've suited playing in a three, as opposed to a four: Stephen McManus, Gary Caldwell, Paul Ritchie, Russell Anderson, Christophe Berra, Steven Caldwell, Gordon Greer, Russell Martin.

The Scotland players and the fans have been robbed of making appearances in major tournaments because of the tactical ineptitude and/or stubborn by our managers (since Craig Brown).

(If this post gets tagged with a confused face or a laughing face, it'll be shameful. There's nothing confusing and/or funny about being robbed of watching Scotland at a major tournament)

Edited by Taylor1996

15 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

And to add something else to that.

This is a forum where a fair number of people were perplexed and utterly dumbfounded the first time that I suggested ditching four at the back. Citing that no one plays with three at the back, and also citing that our players don't play I that system at club level.

Cut to x amount of years. 50% of the SPL teams play with a three and Scotland have qualified for their first tournament since 1998, playing with a three.

They also thought that it was physically impossible for a player to play in more than one position.

I would suggest that less people here watch Scottish football and broaden their horizon. I mean, there are 701 page in two Old Firm threads. That, to me, is embarrassing. 

So yeah. Thanks for your suggestion, but I'd rather watch good football. If that means that I don't know that Callum McGregor is left footed, well, that's just a cross I'll have to bear.

Oh, so he plays with a different foot when playing for Scotland does he? Then you need to watch the national team too.

35 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

That would be nice.

On that subject, imagine all of the center backs, over the past couple of decades, that would've suited playing in a three, as opposed to a four: Stephen McManus, Gary Caldwell, Paul Ritchie, Russell Anderson, Christophe Berra, Steven Caldwell, Gordon Greer, Russell Martin.

The Scotland players and the fans have been robbed of making appearances in major tournaments because of the tactical ineptitude and/or stubborn by our managers (since Craig Brown).

(If this post gets tagged with a confused face or a laughing face, it'll be shameful. There's nothing confusing and/or funny about being robbed of watching Scotland at a major tournament)

I agreed with you about the three centre backs but your apparently relaxed attitude about not having a right-left balance in the team is risible.Sorry. Fleck at RWB? Come on.

35 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

That would be nice.

It is by no means a given we would have qualified with a back three. We’ve just been through a long period of having  squads composed of some good players and some comparatively poor ones. I think we have our best crop since the mid 90s and in a few years we’ll have the best since the mid-80s. 

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

Solskjaer praises former striker McTominay for finishing with 'authority' against West Ham... with the midfielder having scored more goals for United than Pogba, Fred and Van de Beek COMBINED this season!

Dykes cant score in the English Chsmpionship. McBurnie cant score (or look capable in the EPL), Shankland is struggling in the SPL. Nisbet's numbers are fine, but he can't yet be trusted.

Who knows, McTominay could be our answer to Harry Kane. Worth a try.

I think that's a step too far. What is clear is that there is now no excuse for not shoving him forward into midfield. Hanley/Hendry, Gallagher/McKenna/Cooper and Tierney: we can forge a decent back three from that lot now.

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

It is by no means a given we would have qualified with a back three. We’ve just been through a long period of having  squads composed of some good players and some comparatively poor ones. I think we have our best crop since the mid 90s and in a few years we’ll have the best since the mid-80s. 

The Euros going to a 24 team tournament is one of the main reasons we have qualified. If it had been 24 teams 20 years ago we would of qualified before now imo. 

25 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

Oh, so he plays with a different foot when playing for Scotland does he? Then you need to watch the national team too.

I'm not really focussed on which foot a player uses, especially one who plays centrally.

24 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I agreed with you about the three centre backs but your apparently relaxed attitude about not having a right-left balance in the team is risible.Sorry. Fleck at RWB? Come on.

I admit, I forgot which foot Fleck uses (and McGregor). So shoot me.

Both are still a more viable option that someone like Armstrong.

31 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I know.

It's all hypothetical, but if you think of the midfielders we had back then, too: Brown, Ferguson, Fletcher and then up top McFadden, Miller and Naismith.

It would've been interesting to see squads from the previous couple of decades in a variation of 3-5-2.

Edited by Taylor1996

27 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

I think that's a step too far.

Is it, though? 

With his dribbling abilities and deceptive pace, I would say that he has more strings to his bow than Kane. 

No doubt that Kane is world class, though.

It would be interesting to see him as a striker, alongside someone like Christie or Fraser or Turnbull.

2 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

I know.

It's all hypothetical, but if you think of the midfielders we had back then, too: Brown, Ferguson, Fletcher and then up top McFadden, Miller and Naismith.

It would've been intering to see squads from the previous couple of decades in a variable of 3-5-2.

We rarely got all those players on the park at the same time, if ever. I expect us to do better now because we do seem to have a bigger pool of good players. Formations may have made a difference, but we’ll never know. 

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

We rarely got all those players on the park at the same time, if ever. I expect us to do better now because we do seem to have a bigger pool of good players. Formations may have made a difference, but we’ll never know. 

Hopefully.

The positive that Is that in the first time, in a long time, we have actual options. When we have players like Gilmour, Gauld, Turnbull, etc, waiting in the wings, things are looking good.

We totally need more attacking options, after we took Christie off v Serbia on 87th minute we were totally lean on attacking options.  I understand 1 nil up on 87 minute with 4 or 5 to go, you believe if you can hang on but those final 30 minutes were dreadful. 

10 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

That would be nice.

We qualified because they introduced another (easier) way to qualify. Nothing to do with changing formation. We drew both our matches. Under the format that was in place for the time period you mention that would be 4 points dropped.

In our last 3 matches using the formation you think would have solved all of our worries, we have lost 2 and drawn 1 against sides of a similar level to ourselves. Again stick those results into a normal qualifiers and we are out.

Moving to a 3 gave us some stability that we have been lacking but also increased our existing problem of not creating or converting chances.

And to be a Scotland fan but not know what foot 3 of our regular squad kick with is just embarrasing.

8 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

We qualified because they introduced another (easier) way to qualify. Nothing to do with changing formation. We drew both our matches. Under the format that was in place for the time period you mention that would be 4 points dropped.

In our last 3 matches using the formation you think would have solved all of our worries, we have lost 2 and drawn 1 against sides of a similar level to ourselves. Again stick those results into a normal qualifiers and we are out.

Moving to a 3 gave us some stability that we have been lacking but also increased our existing problem of not creating or converting chances.

And to be a Scotland fan but not know what foot 3 of our regular squad kick with is just embarrasing.

Tbh I don't think that most fans would know which foot such and such a player kicked with unless it's say for example Robertson or Tierney who play a defined position. Some players are comfortable with both feet too it should be remembered.