Scott McTominay - Page 23 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

• 2 weeks later...

My only criticism of him is that he always looks to be playing within himself. His range of passing is exceptional but more often than not he plays it safe, he never seems to sprint and seems content to hang around outside the box when its on to burst into it.

Now this might be the tactics but sometimes a player needs to make his own decisions within a game.

15 minutes ago, Diamond Scot said:

My only criticism of him is that he always looks to be playing within himself. His range of passing is exceptional but more often than not he plays it safe, he never seems to sprint and seems content to hang around outside the box when its on to burst into it.

Now this might be the tactics but sometimes a player needs to make his own decisions within a game.

It is definitely tactics and at times it looks as though he has been over coached to stay disciplined. He started as a striker, for me he naturally would like to go forward, box to box, arriving in the opposition box, scoring goals, I think if they let him of the leash a bit he could be a bit like Steven Gerrard, although I don't think he has Gerrard's passing ability.

2 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

Agreed. It's definitely tactical, though..

McTominay's biggest attribute is his dribbling ability. You just know when he drops his shoulder, he'll beat his man. The thing with OGS is that McTominay (and Fred) are being instructed to be conservative and safe. Neither of them are anchorman.

That's the thing, if you defy your manager, more chance than not, you probably won't be out of the team in the near future.

2 hours ago, bazmidd said:

It is definitely tactics and at times it looks as though he has been over coached to stay disciplined. He started as a striker, for me he naturally would like to go forward, box to box, arriving in the opposition box, scoring goals, I think if they let him of the leash a bit he could be a bit like Steven Gerrard, although I don't think he has Gerrard's passing ability.

Definitely.

Playing under a manager who isn't very good (United might be 2nd in the EPL, but they aren't the second best team in England) and can't identify players strengths and weaknesses, it'll be detrimental to McTominay 

The comparison with Gerrard is a good one. I'd say that McTominay is probably the best dribble we have. For club and country, he should be given license in midfield to drive the ball forward and get ahead of the ball.

On 1/10/2021 at 1:04 AM, Taylor1996 said:

Agreed. It's definitely tactical, though..

McTominay's biggest attribute is his dribbling ability. You just know when he drops his shoulder, he'll beat his man. The thing with OGS is that McTominay (and Fred) are being instructed to be conservative and safe. Neither of them are anchorman.

That's the thing, if you defy your manager, more chance than not, you probably won't be out of the team in the near future.

Definitely.

Playing under a manager who isn't very good (United might be 2nd in the EPL, but they aren't the second best team in England) and can't identify players strengths and weaknesses, it'll be detrimental to McTominay 

The comparison with Gerrard is a good one. I'd say that McTominay is probably the best dribble we have. For club and country, he should be given license in midfield to drive the ball forward and get ahead of the ball.

just because he is playing at the back doesnt mean that he cant dribble up the entire park and put the ball in the top corner.   Beckenbaur started attacks very effectively from the back of the pitch.

42 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

just because he is playing at the back doesnt mean that he cant dribble up the entire park and put the ball in the top corner.   Beckenbaur started attacks very effectively from the back of the pitch.

True. It's up to the manager, though.

A couple of years ago he lead the EPL in successful dribbles.

I read in a recent article that OGS confessed that McTominay is a box to box midfielder. Hopefully this will lead to him being let off the leash a wee bit. He could do a lot of damage to teams if OGS allows him freedom.

34 minutes ago, Taylor1996 said:

True. It's up to the manager, though.

A couple of years ago he lead the EPL in successful dribbles.

I read in a recent article that OGS confessed that McTominay is a box to box midfielder. Hopefully this will lead to him being let off the leash a wee bit. He could do a lot of damage to teams if OGS allows him freedom.

if we carry on with the current formation with mctominay and tierney in a back three I would like to see them both have licence to attack.  Whether that’s mctominay starting attacks through the middle and driving in to the opponents box or tierney overlapping Robertson wide on the left and getting to the bye line.  Although not both at the same time.  

more often than not that will leave two centre half’s against an opposing centre forward with Ryan jack looking after the inside forward.

On 1/11/2021 at 10:31 PM, Malcolm said:

if we carry on with the current formation with mctominay and tierney in a back three I would like to see them both have licence to attack.  Whether that’s mctominay starting attacks through the middle and driving in to the opponents box or tierney overlapping Robertson wide on the left and getting to the bye line.  Although not both at the same time.  

more often than not that will leave two centre half’s against an opposing centre forward with Ryan jack looking after the inside forward.

And with them stepping into midfield, giving a midfielder license to join the 2 strikers and attacking midfielder. Giving us a different dimension and more options.

There's a lot of variables with our current system. 

I've just had an idea regarding McTominay that I'd like to debate.

McTominay needs to be our starting 11, he is too good to leave out, having him in defence has positives such as he is athleticism allows him to carry the ball up and give us options further up as his distribution is strong, however we can agree he is not a defender but he is tall, like pretty much the whole squad he makes mistakes but in defence if he makes a mistake it can result in losing goals. So, I was thinking is there anyone else right footed preferably that might be a midfielder who can play in defence and allow McTominay to take one of the midfield spots and for me the answer is yes - Ryan Jack. Ryan has shown himself IMO to also warrant a start, he is a different type of player and our pattern of play would change but defensively I think it would be an upgrade and on the counter we have McTominay further up.

This is based on my preference to have a 3 left footers and 2 rights(or vice versa) in our back 5. Other alternative is Grant Hanley and we lose Jack or McTominay, OR move Gallagher to the right of the three and put Cooper in the middle of the three.