Scott McTominay - Page 22 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

17 hours ago, Scot1 said:

I think McTominey should think about leaving Man Utd sooner or later if he isn’t going to get played in his proper midfield role. He needs to be playing week in week out as a box to box midfielder if he is to grow as a player and fulfil his potential 

I'm more of an international football fan than a club fan... but if I had a club, it would be Manchester United. Because of that, I don't want him to leave.

You can only move downwards from Man United.

Hopefully his performance on Sunday convinces OGS that by playing McTominay as an anchorman McTominay is playing with two arms behind his back.

If OGS gives McTominay the same freedom he gave him against Leeds, they could win the EPL. One big problem with United this season is runners from midfielders (because of the tactics), but if McTominay is allowed to carry the ball forward and make runs into the box, off the ball, it could make a huge difference.

He's deceptively rapid. Look at the highlights, he ran faster with the ball than the Leeds players who were chasing him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/sports-personality/55390891

Micah Richard's is spot on. McTominay is always the scapegoat when United lose. God know what the abuse towards the lad will be like when Pogba (Hopefully soon) and Lingard leave.

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, Taylor1996 said:

I'm more of an international football fan than a club fan... but if I had a club, it would be Manchester United. Because of that, I don't want him to leave.

You can only move downwards from Man United.

Hopefully his performance on Sunday convinces OGS that by playing McTominay as an anchorman McTominay is playing with two arms behind his back.

If OGS gives McTominay the same freedom he gave him against Leeds, they could win the EPL. One big problem with United this season is runners from midfielders (because of the tactics), but if McTominay is allowed to carry the ball forward and make runs into the box, off the ball, it could make a huge difference.

He's deceptively rapid. Look at the highlights, he ran faster with the ball than the Leeds players who were chasing him.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/sports-personality/55390891

Micah Richard's is spot on. McTominay is always the scapegoat when United lose. God know what the abuse towards the lad will be like when Pogba (Hopefully soon) and Lingard leave.

I understand that, but he may have to leave to play all the time in his natural position. He’s 24 now, he wants to be playing week in, week out as a box to box midfielder. If Man Utd aren’t going to do that, maybe time to go.

Edited by Scot1

19 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

10 out of 10 performance today.

Two fantastic goals, an assist, broke up Leeds attacks and carried the ball forward brilliantly.

2 goals in 3 minutes. An EPL record.

The frustrating thing is that this would be a regular occurrence if OGS didn't use him as an anchorman who sits and just recycles the ball.

Scott is a dynamic box to box midfielder. If he played under Bielsa or Guardiola or Klopp, act, he'd easily look as good as De Bruyne, etc.

As a center back he's 7 out of 10 player. As an anchorman he's also a 7, but as a box to box midfielder he would a regular 8/9 out of 10 player.

I don't think he likes December, though. This time last season he got injured on the 27th and was out of 2 months. He's now injured his groin. No idea how long he'll be out.

Clarke would love to play McTominay in midfield. 

The problem is our right sided defenders are so poor in the formation we are playing.

We’d be dropping quality centre midfielders (McGregor, Jack, McGinn, Gilmour) to play someone like Grant Hanley as a centre back that needs to step forward to start and join in our attacks. McTominay has done this brilliantly recently. It’s really helped O’Donnell too, whose a limited footballer compared.

For McTominay to move away from that position we’d need to see some right sided, ball playing centre backs stepping forward...Jack Hendry(!), Ross McCrorie, Palmer moving position slightly. I can’t see that happening, but one to try in March I think.

Wildcard choice could be Steven Caulker. Interesting to see if he’s thought about. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

The problem is our right sided defenders are so poor in the formation we are playing.

We’d be dropping quality centre midfielders (McGregor, Jack, McGinn, Gilmour) to play someone like Grant Hanley as a centre back that needs to step forward to start and join in our attacks. McTominay has done this brilliantly recently. It’s really helped O’Donnell too, whose a limited footballer compared.

For McTominay to move away from that position we’d need to see some right sided, ball playing centre backs stepping forward...Jack Hendry(!), Ross McCrorie, Palmer moving position slightly. I can’t see that happening, but one to try in March I think.

Wildcard choice could be Steven Caulker. Interesting to see if he’s thought about. 

Who says that you have to play a right footer on the right? Atalanta are currently the most successful exponents of a back three. Last season they finished 3rd in Serie A with three right footed centre backs. 

I would be comfortable with a three of Cooper, McKenna and Tierney (two EPL centre backs). Then we have Gallagher, Porteous and Hendry waiting in the wings.

I think it's too late for Caulker to force his way into the Euro 2020 squad, but after that? Who knows.

1 hour ago, Scot1 said:

I understand that, but he may have to leave to play all the time in his natural position. He’s 24 now, he wants to be playing week in, week out as a box to box midfielder. If Man Utd aren’t going to do that, maybe time to go.

No. I get it.

I would rather OGS adjust his tactics than McTominay moving, though. 

1 hour ago, Super_Scotlandfan said:

I think your overestimating how good you need your central defenders to be in a back three. Basically they each only have to cover a third of the defensive line instead of half. Hanley and Cooper are very reliable passers of the ball, and while neither is great at carrying the ball forward they can move the ball forward.

If we are playing three at the back Tierney stays were he is.

I think the only way Clarke will move McTominay forward is if we discover a ball playing centre back in the Souttar/Jack Hendry mould; someone who doesn't get a nose bleed if they cross the half way line and is comfortable in possession.  Neither Hanley or Cooper fit that bill.  Jack Hendry?  There's still time for him to force his way into the team.

19 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

I think your overestimating how good you need your central defenders to be in a back three. Basically they each only have to cover a third of the defensive line instead of half. Hanley and Cooper are very reliable passers of the ball, and while neither is great at carrying the ball forward they can move the ball forward.

Completely agree...the 'carrying the ball out of defence' line, only really became a thing when Clarke was trying to justify Mctominays defensive inclusion, amid a few mistakes

2 hours ago, 0Neils40yarder said:

Completely agree...the 'carrying the ball out of defence' line, only really became a thing when Clarke was trying to justify Mctominays defensive inclusion, amid a few mistakes

Having players carrying the ball out of defence is vital in this formation to create chances. 

Hanley or Cooper at RCB would be ok defensively but we would lose so much going forward. McTominay can stride forward and make incisive passes. He was brilliant at this against Serbia.

There was a huge difference with Considine there against Slovakia. 

Think it’s a good discussion though. I think Clarke should try someone else there in March to see if McTominay can be moved to midfield. 

Scott McTominay’s performance against Leeds just oozed class 

Roy Keane giving praise is something indeed, papers now saying how will Man Utd line up against Everton tonight without him ( groin injury ) 

For me personally if he continues like that he will be playing midfield for Scotland for sure and possibly Macgregor dropping to the bench! 

A luxury of Richness in Midfield 

S.McTominay 

J.McGinn 

S.Armstrong 

B.Gilmour 

R.Jack 

C.McGregor 

R.Christie 

R.Fraser 

K.McLean

4 hours ago, broraboy said:

Roy Keane giving praise is something indeed, papers now saying how will Man Utd line up against Everton tonight without him ( groin injury ) 

For me personally if he continues like that he will be playing midfield for Scotland for sure and possibly Macgregor dropping to the bench! 

S.McTominay 

J.McGinn 

S.Armstrong 

B.Gilmour 

R.Jack 

C.McGregor 

R.Christie 

R.Fraser 

K.McLean

Yeah. I listened to Roy Keane giving him praise. Keane giving anyone praise is a rarity.

And yes, McTominay pulled up with a growing injury (oddly enough, he was injured this time last season against Newcastle. He was out for a couple of months. December Ian unlucky month for him)

He might be out for a while. The injury is still being assessed.

6 hours ago, broraboy said:

S.McTominay 

J.McGinn 

S.Armstrong 

B.Gilmour 

R.Jack 

C.McGregor 

R.Christie 

R.Fraser 

K.McLean

Hopefully McGregor will have a fight on his hands with the emergence of Gilmour. McGregor would still be useful in the squad, in my opinion, in a more advanced role. 

On 12/21/2020 at 8:02 PM, ceudmilefailte said:

Reminder of his performance against Serbia. We'd lose almost all of these positive actions from defence if he didn't play as a centre back. 

Obviously it would be offset with getting him more involved if he played in midfield. But I don't think it's worth it at this stage. 

10 hours ago, broraboy said:

S.McTominay 

J.McGinn 

S.Armstrong 

B.Gilmour 

R.Jack 

C.McGregor 

R.Christie 

R.Fraser 

K.McLean

You can add David Turnbull to that list shortly. As long as Lennon plays him, this boy is class....

5 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

You can add David Turnbull to that list shortly. As long as Lennon plays him, this boy is class....

I noticed Mikey Johnstone got on for the last 15 minutes. Did you see the game? 

8 minutes ago, Big Ramy 1314 said:

No mate, was at work unfortunate ly..

I’m looking for the highlights of the game myself, Turnbull did get the MotM award so it sounds like another good performance from him