Scott McTominay - Page 20 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'd go with that.

Yeah. That's pretty much one of the plus points about a back three, one of them can be used as a dedicated man-marker, leaving the other two do mop up.

I doubt Clarke is bold enough, though. He seems pretty set in his ways in a "four at the back" way.

I don’t think he’s clever enough not after the Russian disaster. To me it was obvious to play 3 at the back and man mark their big CF, nearly everything good goes through him. He had 2 games to try and figure it out and instead played Devlin and Mulgrew against him. Whilst having 6ft 5 Gallagher sitting on the bench alongside the big lad from Kilmarnock, Findlay. 

Edited by Rscot

59 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Not at all. Supporting Scotland isnt about glory hunting. What I'm saying is that, currently, we are in no fit state to be anywhere near a major tournament. 

Look at Norway, Haaland is probably the most talked about teenager right now. He'll rag-doll our defence.

I'd rather put all our eggs in the qualifiers for the World Cup. Or at the VERY least, promote a batch of kids from the under 21s and even the under17s to play in the playoffs. Watching players like Mulgrew and Naismith and Gallacher and McLean, etc, go through the motions against Norway will be soul-destroying.

Now that's the truth! 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 10 months later...

Brighton hitting the woodwork three times in thirty minutes. Dropping McTominay was obviously a stroke of genius.

Manchester United are turning into Scotland with every match: defenders who can't defend, midfielders that can't defend or pass, wingers that can't dribble and strikers who get no service.

• 1 month later...

Another dominant midfield display.

Steve Clarke probably won't change the backline of Tierney, McTominay and McKenna, but i'd be tempted to pair McTominay with Jack and play the trio of McKenna, Cooper and Tierney.

All three are left footers. And? Technically, all three are playing in the middle so it's not an issue.

McGregor isn't an anchorman. I'd trust McTominay in that position more than McGregor.

1 hour ago, Barney Rubble said:

Taylor 1996 - I'd trust Clarke over any of your team selections every time.

Yeah. You're probably one of those people that claimed that we'd always get demolished in a back three.

Do you people not learn?

Really? You have a problem with this team? You're just being a contrarian, as this will pretty much be the first XI. (Or at least, that would be mine)

Marshall

Cooper, McKenna, Tierney

O'Donnel                               Robertson

McTominay, Jack

McGinn

Dykes, Fraser/Christie

(This will be Steve Clarke's)

Marshall

McTominay, McKenna, Tierney

McGregor,  Jack

McGinn

Dykes, Fraser/McBurnie

Not much of a difference, Mr Contrary.

Edited by Taylor1996

9 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Yeah. You're probably one of those people that claimed that we'd always get demolished in a back three.

Do you people not learn?

Really? You have a problem with this team? You're just being a contrarian, as this will pretty much be the first XI. (Or at least, that would be mine)

Marshall

Cooper, McKenna, Tierney

McTominay, Jack

McGinn

Dykes, Fraser/Christie

(This will be Steve Clarke's)

Marshall

McTominay, McKenna, Tierney

McGregor,  Jack

McGinn

Dykes, Fraser/McBurnie

Not much of a difference, Mr Contrary.

Thinks that’s pretty close.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see Gallagher retain his place ahead of McKenna.

5 hours ago, romanticscot said:

I was cracking it here thinking McTominay was out injured. 

Dont worry, it was just chripper tellibg the world how he invented 3 at the back and the double pivot. Mctominay is fine 👍🏼😎

40 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Dont worry, it was just chripper tellibg the world how he invented 3 at the back and the double pivot. Mctominay is fine 👍🏼😎

lol

First time I mentioned it here, it seemed that the Mob hadn't even heard of a back three... Or the invention of fire.

So, for all intents and purposes...

Reading comments on Redcafe it's amazing how many of them don't rate McTominay. Even after his midfield masterclass against Everton.

It's rare for a player to be loved by international fans, en mass, but be so divisive to their club fans. 

He can tackle, pass, shoot, he's industries and passionate, he's a monster of an athlete, he's humble and down to earth... And he's all ours.

I love him.

3mrjelry7wy51.jpg

Edited by Taylor1996

1 hour ago, weekevie04 said:

Likewise, Taylor.

He could have played for England. They really wanted him, but he opted for us. Lad turns up, and turning in to one of the first names on the team sheet.

I'm not against people of the diaspora playing for us - I love Dykes and McTominay.

Yeah. Definitely another reason to love him.

He does. He is the heir to the Darren Fletcher throne, both in character, dedication and performance.

He could walk into the England first XI, defence or midfield. 

I wholeheartedly agree.

Future captain.

He's even taken over Steven Naismith's "annoying wee fud" role of constantly verbally abusing the opposition players which is good to see. :lol:

Fair play to Alex McLeish for managing to get McTominay on board when everyone expected him to pick England (I certainly was), McLeish deserves credit for that. :ok:

11 hours ago, Taylor1996 said:

Reading comments on Redcafe it's amazing how many of them don't rate McTominay. Even after his midfield masterclass against Everton.

It's rare for a player to be loved by international fans, en mass, but be so divisive to their club fans. 

He can tackle, pass, shoot, he's industries and passionate, he's a monster of an athlete, he's humble and down to earth... And he's all ours.

I love him.

3mrjelry7wy51.jpg

I really don’t care what the Man U fans think of him as long as he stays in their team.

The best thing about McTominay for me is he actually wants to play for Scotland. He’s not an England reject that just wants caps to try and get a pay rise or a move to a big team. He had a choice to make and he chose Scotland.

You can tell by the way he plays and his reaction to goals etc. that he’s loving it. 

48 minutes ago, Pocketrocketman1888 said:

marking at corner in 89th minute bit suspect

Let’s not pick him again then eh?  🤦‍♂️

What about his run up the right wing that led to our goal? Or his countless pinpoint passes? Yes, let’s concentrate on Serbia’s goal. Dearie me. 

Anyone else remember all those smart arse comments that were being made (some by journalists and former players) when McTominay decided to play for Scotland instead of England along the lines of "oh well, he must want his summers off then" and "clearly doesn't care about playing in a tournament."

Wankers.

He's showed them now !