Scott McTominay - Page 10 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

On 8/11/2019 at 8:05 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

Nah. McTominay has got a lot in the bank, he can be afforded a quiet performance here and there.

Off topic.

It just shows you how much a quality center back can elevate a team. If only we had a player of the quality of Harry Maguire. The last top center back we had was Colin Hendry.

Always thought David Weir was a very underrated defender, was still playing to good standard for club and country well into his 30s.

Football fans are so fickle.

In one week at the redcafe Scott McTominay goes from being the best football player since sliced bread to the incarnation of Djemba-Djemba.

The truth is, neither are right. He's a good player, he might be better than that some day, but that day isn't today. In the grand scheme of things he's still learning. He's the same age as Tierney and yet he's only played around 50 top flight matches for Manchester United, whereas, Tierney has played 171 times. If McTominay gets 50/60 matches under his belt this season it'll be brilliant for him and he'll be the better player for it.

He's been timid in his first two matches of the season, but the more he plays the better he'll become. He strikes me as a humble lad who will listen and learn and will go the extra mile to improve. This season will be a bumpy one for him, it doesn't help that the Manchester United midfield is a total and complete mess. It's not an ideal scenario where a 22 year old who has very limited experience is looked upon as the player who will run the midfield. Pogba should be that man, but he simply cannot be trusted.

I'll stick to my guns and say that Scott McTominay has the potential of turning into a very, very good player. 

This time next season will be a better gauge on how good he is and good he'll become.

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

8 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

In one week at the redcafe Scott McTominay goes from being the best football player since sliced bread to the incarnation of Djemba-Djemba.

The truth is, neither are right. He's a good player, he might be better than that some day, but that day isn't today. In the grand scheme of things he's still learning. He's the same age as Tierney and yet he's only played around 50 top flight matches for Manchester United, whereas, Tierney has played 171 times. If McTominay gets 50/60 matches under his belt this season it'll be brilliant for him and he'll be the better player for it.

He's been timid in his first two matches of the season, but the more he plays the better he'll become. He strikes me as a humble lad who will listen and learn and will go the extra mile to improve. This season will be a bumpy one for him, it doesn't help that the Manchester United midfield is a total and complete mess. It's not an ideal scenario where a 22 year old who has very limited experience is looked upon as the player who will run the midfield. Pogba should be that man, but he simply cannot be trusted.

I'll stick to my guns and say that Scott McTominay has the potential of turning into a very, very good player. 

This time next season will be a better gauge on how good he is and good he'll become.

This level wasn't on your previously defined scale. 

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I would be surprised if it wasn't. You don't jump from "good" to "world class" in a single bound.

Consider this "scale 2.0"

From memory it went from good - very good - world class. May I suggest the following:

Mince - bang average - average - handy - crackin' - class - pure class - total class - world class - very world class

24 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

From memory it went from good - very good - world-class. May I suggest the following:

Actually, it was: Very poor; poor; average; good; very good; world Class :

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13775-scottish-players-in-action-1920/page/12/&tab=comments#comment-531147

If you wish to be pedantic by leaping on the second extra casual "very" then you are more than welcome to do so. Hell, I encourage it. Just means that you're joining the TAMB herd.

C'est La Vie.

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Actually, it was: Very poor; poor; average; world Class :

https://www.tamb.net/forum/index.php?/topic/13775-scottish-players-in-action-1920/page/12/&tab=comments#comment-531147

If you wish to be pedantic by leaping on the second extra casual "very" then you are more than welcome to do so. Hell, I encourage it. Just means that you're joining the TAMB herd.

C'est La Vie.

Chill mate. Was meant as a joke. One thing I like about the TA is the banter, but perhaps that's a thing of the past along with qualifying for major tournaments? 

11 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Aye, BUT - I thought by your reckoning that playing against diddy players like St Johnstone, etc. didn't really count when considering how good a player might be?

11 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

Chill mate. Was meant as a joke. One thing I like about the TA is the banter, but perhaps that's a thing of the past along with qualifying for major tournaments? 

Fair enough.

There's never really been any banter on the TAMB, though. It's just a bunch of people trying to win cheap points. 

11 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Aye, BUT - I thought by your reckoning that playing against diddy players like St Johnstone, etc. didn't really count when considering how good a player might be?

Maybe you should take it up with Virgil Van Dijk. He said that he learned more in five matches in the EPL with Southampton than he did in his two year stint in the SPL.

Press me

1 hour ago, mrniaboc said:

From memory it went from good - very good - world class. May I suggest the following:

Mince - bang average - average - handy - crackin' - class - pure class - total class - world class - very world class

Surely it should be

Mince - bang average - average - handy - crackin' - class - pure class - total class - world class - very world class - Scott McTominay

Nice. It would appear that my opinion is pretty much shared by the members of the redcafe.

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/scott-mctominay-2019-20-performances.448811/page-25

They've scored him an average of 6.6 out of his first two matches of the season. They've been a wee bit more charatible than me, as I scored him 6. From me he got 6 against Chelsea and 6 against Wolves.

In pre-season he was playing in a more advanced midfield role and he was revelling in it. If he plays as an anchorman then his game is going to be restricted. He doesn't have the defensive awareness to be an anchorman... which will be a problem when he plays for Scotland, as there'll be no one of quality behind him.

Someone here said that OGS might be Man United's Neil Lennon. It's not a bad shout. OGS is persisting with both McTominay AND Pogba as the two anchormen. Neither of them can play there, especially not Pogba.

It's been a decent start to the season, though. A solid 6/10. :ok:

49 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Here's the quote: Van Dijk said: "At Southampton I am learning so much in every game I play, much more than I did in two years at Celtic.

It's an interesting one and it adds credence to my point that McGregor, Christie, etc, aren't improving, nor are their achievements remarkable, as apparently a player learns more in five matches in the EPL than he would in two years in the SPL.

And yet people here will still be spellbound by an assist by McGregor against Livingston or Christie scoring a hat-trick against St Johnstone. Apparently that's the sign that a player is "good". :blink:

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Here's the quote: Van Dijk said: "At Southampton I am learning so much in every game I play, much more than I did in two years at Celtic.

It's an interesting one and it adds credence to my point that McGregor, Christie, etc, aren't improving, nor are their achievements remarkable, as apparently a player learns more in five matches in the EPL than he would in two years in the SPL.

And yet people here will still be spellbound by an assist by McGregor against Livingston or Christie scoring a hat-trick against St Johnstone. Apparently that's the sign that a player is "good". :blink:

:lol:  Go back and read your post I responded to.  You're not making a word of sense.  Comedy gold though!

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

But but but but but didn't people think Van Dijk was good when he was at Celtic too? I'm confused, was he not good until he moved to the EPL? I thought he was good at Celtic, but now I realise you can't be both good AND play for Celtic :P. 

Edited by mrniaboc

1 minute ago, mrniaboc said:

But but but but but didn't people think Van Dijk was good when he was at Celtic too? I'm confused, was he not good until he moved to the EPL? I thought he was good at Celtic, but now I realise you can't be both good AND play for Celtic :P. 

I did say that Tierney was good whilst he was at Celtic.

In all seriousness though, you simply cannot just say a player is not good purely based on what opposition they play against. What you can say is that they may become a better player if tested more. 

Leicester City, a better team than Southampton, bid almost twice as much for McGregor as Saints did for Van Dijk. So there are a few possibilities here:

1) You know more about McGregor's talent than a professional company (whose job it is to know about how talented footballers are) and his old manager. 

2) Callum McGregor is actually talented. 

3) Virgil Van Dijk was an absolute steal for Southampton. 

I know which two I believe to be true. 

23 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

In all seriousness though, you simply cannot just say a player is not good purely based on what opposition they play against. What you can say is that they may become a better player if tested more. 

Leicester City, a better team than Southampton, bid almost twice as much for McGregor as Saints did for Van Dijk. So there are a few possibilities here:

1) You know more about McGregor's talent than a professional company (whose job it is to know about how talented footballers are) and his old manager. 

2) Callum McGregor is actually talented. 

3) Virgil Van Dijk was an absolute steal for Southampton. 

I know which two I believe to be true. 

You can certainly judge a player by the league he's in, the players that he's playing with (Although, there are obvious exceptions, like Matthew Le Tissier) as well as the standard of opposition he's going up against in a regular basis. How long did it take Wan-Bissaka to move to a major club? One year with Crystal Palace. Harry Maguire has slowly moved up the ladder to where he belongs. Didn't take Tierney too long to get snapped up by Liverpool.

Contracts are not worth the paper they are written on. There was a comment a while back about "Teams not being able to afford Forrest and Christie". I took that as a joke. I hope it was a joke. But yes, if a team wants to buy a player, the chances are that the player will leave. McGregor is 26 and Forrest is 28. The fact that those two are playing in, what is universally classed as one of the worst top-flight leagues in Europe, at what is supposed to be the peak of their careers speaks volumes.

1) Well, I wasn't going to say it... 

2) He isn't. Or at least he isn't as good as people on here make him out to be. Could he make it in the EPL? Sure. If Arfield and McArthur can then he certainly could. Could he play for a top 6 club? (Arsenal, Spurs, Chelsea, Man United, Man City, Liverpool) Not a chance in hell.

3) He certainly was.