Scott McTominay - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

50 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Agreed.

Did you watch the match, though? Matic barely completely a single pass. I wouldn't be surprised if they released him.

No I didnt watch it, I'm not one for watching man utds pre season matches

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

No I didnt watch it, I'm not one for watching man utds pre season matches

Yeah. You're probably not alone in that, in fairness. I've made an effort to check of their pre-season matches in order to see how McTominay is progressing.

The fuss that the English media made over Robertson last season, I think it's McTominay's turn this season.

9 hours ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Ive said he’s a good player but your praise of him is a bit OTT

If you think so then I urge you to avoid redcafe

They're Christening him everything from McTerminator, the new Bryan Robson and McKeane. 

I wouldn't take their praise lightly, by the way. They take great pride in eviscerating their own. Players that get promoted from their youth sides have to work harder and be faster and better in order to win their fans over. Lingard is their current whipping boy. Even Rashford doesn't escape their ire. It makes the praise even higher since McTominay is Scottish. It took Darren Fletcher how many years to win over the United fans? 5+ years? It took McTominay 2.

It's lovely hearing one of our players being lauded and praised by a massive club like Manchester United. It doesn't happen often, so my advice is to enjoy it. It won't be the last that he gets praised this season as the lad is growing into a serious player.

The fact that he chose Scotland over England makes me love him even more. I don't credit McLeish for snagging McTominay, as I truly believe that playing foe England was never a thought for him. Saying that, though, I'm glad that McLeish went the extra mile. Last season English football fans were saying that losing McTominay was no great lose, I'm guessing that by the end of this season their tune will have changed.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/795158/Man-Utd-Kristiansund-friendly-Scott-McTominay

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

45 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

They're Christening him everything from McTerminator, the new Bryan Robson and McKeane. 

I wouldn't take their praise lightly, by the way. They take great pride in eviscerating their own. Players that get promoted from their youth sides have to work harder and be faster and better in order to win their fans over. Lingard is their current whipping boy. Even Rashford doesn't escape their ire. It makes the praise even higher since McTominay is Scottish. It took Darren Fletcher how many years to win over the United fans? 5+ years? It took McTominay 2.

It's lovely hearing one of our players being lauded and praised by a massive club like Manchester United. It doesn't happen often, so my advice is to enjoy it. It won't be the last that he gets praised this season as the lad is growing into a serious player.

The fact that he chose Scotland over England makes me love him even more. I don't credit McLeish for snagging McTominay, as I truly believe that playing foe England was never a thought for him. Saying that, though, I'm glad that McLeish went the extra mile. Last season English football fans were saying that losing McTominay was no great lose, I'm guessing that by the end of this season their tune will have changed.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/795158/Man-Utd-Kristiansund-friendly-Scott-McTominay

Let’s see how he does this season

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Football fans are fickle so I wouldn't put alot of stock in what united fans think. A few poor performances and mctominay will be back to being the average player that they were proclaiming him to be when he first broke through. United have been terrible this last few years and mctominay is getting alot of praise as he actually looks like he gives a shit about the club as opposed to the divas and Charlatan players they have in their squad. Personally I think he's a really good midfielder and it's great he's picked us over England.

10 hours ago, mccaughey85 said:

Football fans are fickle so I wouldn't put alot of stock in what united fans think. A few poor performances and mctominay will be back to being the average player that they were proclaiming him to be when he first broke through. United have been terrible this last few years and mctominay is getting alot of praise as he actually looks like he gives a shit about the club as opposed to the divas and Charlatan players they have in their squad. Personally I think he's a really good midfielder and it's great he's picked us over England.

Usually I'd agree, but in this case I definitely think the hype is justified.

You make a good point, though. If you look at the abuse that he was getting this time last year, so many people were saying that he was never a Man United player, that he'll drop down the leagues, that he's limited, etc. What a difference 12 months can make.

Humble pie is in hearty supply at redcafe with regards to McTominay.

90 minutes.

6 out of 10

United played with a 4-2-3-1 and McTominay played in the 2. When he plays in the anchorman role he's restricted and he has the shackles on. He's a far greater threat when he's allowed to stretch his legs and bomb forward with the ball.

He was caught in possession once, gave the ball away a couple times and a few times he gave the ball to team-mates in dodgy positions.

He'll get better as the season progresses.

Chelsea are going to have a tough season. They can't buy anyone till the middle of next season. Lampard is still learning, they've lost Hazard and if they deem Abraham as their number one striker (A guy who kept McBurnie out of the Swansea team) they're going to have a really difficult season.

19 minutes ago, mrniaboc said:

It gives me a real chuckle that if McGinn had a performance like McTominay did today, they would be saying how he's out of his depth in the EPL and a total bomb scare. 

Nah. McTominay has got a lot in the bank, he can be afforded a quiet performance here and there.

Off topic.

It just shows you how much a quality center back can elevate a team. If only we had a player of the quality of Harry Maguire. The last top center back we had was Colin Hendry.

8 minutes ago, McExpat said:

That was a great moment. (One of the few good moments of a strange match) Just underlines his leadership qualities.

I also loved how he made it his mission to get in James's ear when he scored (James's Dad passed away 60 days before he moved to Man United) and gave him words of wisdom as well congratulations. 

2 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

100% tackles won
100% aerials won
21 forward passes
8 ball recoveries
4/6 long balls
3 fouls committed
3 fouls suffered
2 interceptions

Mmmhhh… no idea why that deserved a laugh emoji. I think those are decent stats

Let's give the lad a break, people.

https://twitter.com/StatmanDave/status/1160615908349480968

8 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

100% tackles won
100% aerials won
21 forward passes
8 ball recoveries
4/6 long balls
3 fouls committed
3 fouls suffered
2 interceptions

What’s a ‘ball recovery’ if it’s no a tackle or interception??

Personally thought he played pretty well yesterday and he must be well respected within the team to go about shouting in folks faces like that.  He was involved in the build up to a couple of the goals and he must be highly thought of to play next to Pogba when he runs about all over the pitch.  I think his strengths compliment McGinn's weaknesses and for me he is a better player than McGregor.  

I thought he was superb yesterday against Chelsea. And to echo the previous point must be highly regarded and is showing a lot of character on the pitch the way he interacts with everyone.

I feel he is a class above the midfielders we have right now in terms of technical ability. But I canny wait to end up in an argument with someone else who feels strongly that "because he plays for Man Utd doesn't mean he should start for us"

57 minutes ago, ThistleWhistle said:

Personally thought he played pretty well yesterday and he must be well respected within the team to go about shouting in folks faces like that.  He was involved in the build up to a couple of the goals and he must be highly thought of to play next to Pogba when he runs about all over the pitch.  I think his strengths compliment McGinn's weaknesses and for me he is a better player than McGregor.  

He did play well. He was his usual neat and tidy self. His stats would suggest that he had a good match

I think this pre-season he's really come out of his shell. I mean, how many of our players would get in the face of Harry Kane? (The faux hard-man Scott Brown only does it against waifs and strays in Scotland) His leadership qualities remind me of Roy Keane... but with a longer fuse.

He's better when he has the license to bomb forward with the ball. When United buy a natural anchorman it'll free McTominay to be more box-to-box. Apart from McTominay and Pogba United don't have any worthy midfielders. I know that Pereira set up a goal but he isn't Manchester United class, same can be said for Lingard.

It's one of the oddest 4:0 matches I've ever watched. 

1 hour ago, N4Footsoldier said:

I feel he is a class above the midfielders we have right now in terms of technical ability. But I canny wait to end up in an argument with someone else who feels strongly that "because he plays for Man Utd doesn't mean he should start for us"

Absolutely. technically ability as well as character. Odds are when we meet Russia (twice) McGregor, et al, will dissolve, leaving only McTominay to do battle.

:lol: In fairness, it's compelling argument…. I mean, who are Manchester United in comparison to us... ;)

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

He did play well. He was his usual neat and tidy self. His stats would suggest that he had a good match

I think this pre-season he's really come out of his shell. I mean, how many of our players would get in the face of Harry Kane? (The faux hard-man Scott Brown only does it against waifs and strays in Scotland) His leadership qualities remind me of Roy Keane... but with a longer fuse.

He's better when he has the license to bomb forward with the ball. When United buy a natural anchorman it'll free McTominay to be more box-to-box. Apart from McTominay and Pogba United don't have any worthy midfielders. I know that Pereira set up a goal but he isn't Manchester United class, same can be said for Lingard.

It's one of the oddest 4:0 matches I've ever watched. 

Absolutely. technically ability as well as character. Odds are when we meet Russia (twice) McGregor, et al, will dissolve, leaving only McTominay to do battle.

:lol: In fairness, it's compelling argument…. I mean, who are Manchester United in comparison to us... ;)

Really? You've never mentioned that before. :rolleyes:

Did he cure cancer, design a 6G network and organise an orderly Brexit withdrawal at the same time?

I'm all for our players getting praised but FFS...

3 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Aye the best one I heard was along the lines of "If he played for Newcastle or Everton no one would be fussed about him" - Aye I look forward to the day when we can knock back Newcastle and Everton players.

Also in comparison to McGinn, McGregor for example he also seems to not mysteriously lose the ability to pass the ball the length of himself when he pulls on a Scotland jersey

Edited by N4Footsoldier
typo + expansion

4 hours ago, N4Footsoldier said:

Aye the best one I heard was along the lines of "If he played for Newcastle or Everton no one would be fussed about him" - Aye I look forward to the day when we can knock back Newcastle and Everton players.

Also in comparison to McGinn, McGregor for example he also seems to not mysteriously lose the ability to pass the ball the length of himself when he pulls on a Scotland jersey

:lol: Someone actually said that? What time was he due back at his padded cell?

Totally. I've been saying that for a while now but no one seems to be listening. I don't know if it's a technical thing or a mental one. Probably both, to be honest.