Scott McTominay - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

16 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Selling him is "hanging him out to dry"?

He's a world cup winner, I doubt he'd be short of potential destinations.

He won't be short of destinations, of that you are correct. Why would you pay full price for something if you know the person selling it is desperate to get rid though?

On 7/18/2019 at 8:53 AM, Tartan_McCole said:

He won't be short of destinations, of that you are correct. Why would you pay full price for something if you know the person selling it is desperate to get rid though?

Your point would be a good one if the commodity wasn't so valuable. If Pogba because available then I'd say that Juventus, Real Madrid, Barcelona and probably Man City would be sniffing around. If United received less than £80m for him I'd be surprised.

Back to topic:

Forgot to mention this (since I watched the match). McTominay got an assist vs Leeds on Wednesday. Be broke up a move by Leeds in midfield, drop forward with the ball and slipped in Rashford. Another example that he's wasted playing as an anchorman. 

Will be interesting how he does tomorrow against Inter Milan.

And as for the people puzzles as to why I'm bigging him up, go to Redcafe. Where the fans (that are notorious for giving their own kids a hard time) are calling him "The Scottish Khedira", I think it's time to notice. We haven't got plenty of players playing for top clubs, so enjoy it while it lasts, as there sure as hell isn't any more on the horizon... apart from Billy Gilmour.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:19 AM, The_Dark_Knight said:

He's a starter at Manchester United. If that isn't at the top of football then where is? Manchester United is a global giant.

He’s barely completed a full season so maybe a bit premature to say he’s at the top of the sport when there’s every chance he never truely establishes himself at United. 

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

He’s barely completed a full season so maybe a bit premature to say he’s at the top of the sport when there’s every chance he never truely establishes himself at United. 

Manchester United are going through a tough time at the moment, but they are still (in my opinion) the biggest club in England and one of the biggest clubs in the world.

If being at Manchester United isn't regarded as "at the top of the sport", then what is? Man United are at the top table in World football. How can you get higher than the top?

2 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Manchester United are going through a tough time at the moment, but they are still (in my opinion) the biggest club in England and one of the biggest clubs in the world.

If being at Manchester United isn't regarded as "at the top of the sport", then what is? Man United are at the top table in World football. How can you get higher than the top?

Re read my post. I’ve said he’s not established himself as a first team player at United yet. Nothing about united as a club. 

5 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

Re read my post. I’ve said he’s not established himself as a first team player at United yet. Nothing about united as a club. 

OGS has hinted that he will be a first pick this season. He's beefed up over the summer. It could be a big season for him. For our sakes, I hope it is.

It's funny how people big up players like Christie and McGregor and McGinn, etc, and yet they haven't actually done anything. 

Edited by The_Dark_Knight

7 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Currently they aren't even the biggest team in Manchester. There's a fair chance that'll change, but it doesn't look like it is on the horizon.

They are going through a tough time, and perhaps that's why McTominay is featuring as much. There's every chance years back United would have just thrown money at every position and McTominay would be out on his arse. Anyway, he's a talented boy and this season will be massive for him. Hope it's a good one!

1 minute ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

OGS has hinted that he will be a first pick this season. He's buffed up over the summer. It could be a big season for him. For our sakes, I hope it is.

It's funny how people big up players like Christie and McGregor and McGinn, etc, and yet they haven't actually done anything. 

Hope so. As you say it’s a big season for him. 

1 minute ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Currently they aren't even the biggest team in Manchester. There's a fair chance that'll change, but it doesn't look like it is on the horizon.

They are going through a tough time, and perhaps that's why McTominay is featuring as much. There's every chance years back United would have just thrown money at every position and McTominay would be out on his arse. Anyway, he's a talented boy and this season will be massive for him. Hope it's a good one!

You can't buy history. United have a glittering history, City do not. This, to me, is what defines greatness.

I guarantee, if McTominay broke through under SAF it's a certainty that Ferguson would've loved him. He's got a lot of Darren Fletcher about him, both as a football and as a character. 

I think he's the kind of lad who will get his head down and work. And as I said, he's beefed up, even by EPL standards he looks massive!

1 hour ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

😃  you are arguing in one thread that any club below top 6 in England are they same level as everyone in the SPL

But arguing in another thread that the team that finished 6 last year in the EPL are at the top of the sport !! 

Which is it ?

1 hour ago, The Golden Vision said:

😃  you are arguing in one thread that any club below top 6 in England are they same level as everyone in the SPL

But arguing in another thread that the team that finished 6 last year in the EPL are at the top of the sport !! 

Which is it ?

I didn't say anything about the SPL. I said take out the top 6 and the rest of the table is an extension of the English Championship. I think last night proved that the SPL isn't at the standard of the Championship, it's actually more like League one, save from Celtic and Rangers.

But yes, the top 6 in England are at the top of the sport. Just look at the two European Finals last season. :)

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

That is somewhat pessimistic, I expect him to be their main man this year.

No. I'm totally with you on that one. Has anyone actually saw his physique nowadays? He's like a bodybuilder. No midfielder, in England or in Europe will look forward to a duel with him.

25 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

No. I'm totally with you on that one. Has anyone actually saw his physique nowadays? He's like a bodybuilder. No midfielder, in England or in Europe will look forward to a duel with him.

He’ll need that physique when he’s chasing shadows against City’s midfield.... half serious. Going from a squad player to dragging an average United team is a huge ask. 

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

He’ll need that physique when he’s chasing shadows against City’s midfield.... half serious. Going from a squad player to dragging an average United team is a huge ask. 

He didn't do well against PSG and Barcelona. ;)

No. I know. He gained a lot of admirers last season for doing that very thing. It says a lot when the majority of United fans were more happy to see McTominay on the team sheet than Pogba. Let's just hope his team-mates match his effort and commitment this season.

It would appear that our Scott is winning over the Old Trafford faithful - http://www.redcafe.net/threads/scott-mctominay-2019-20-performances.448811/page-11

There was times during the Spurs match he reminded me of a cross between Keane, Vieira and Scholes. His passing, composure, game intelligence and strength is improving on a game-by-game basis.

I'm not bias in any way, shape or form, if anything I tend to give Scottish players more criticism than the normal Scotland fan, so when I hype a player it's usually well deserves. I can't wait till the season starts. McTominay (along with Robertson) is pretty much the only Scotland player that gives me hope for the upcoming season.

People who say that he's an anchorman are wrong. He's a box-to-box midfielder. Some of the forward passes he made against Spurs who Scholesesque, plus the way that he muscled Sissoko off the ball and stood up to Kane when James's arm was stamped on were very Keane like... Keane without the short-fuse.

On 7/17/2019 at 3:01 PM, ParisInAKilt said:

Are you McTominay or his pal?

Yes, apparently Konami are McTominay or his pal, too. ;) 

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/07/ft-scott-mctominay-pes-2020-global.html

I don't think many people here have seen him during United's pre-season. I have. He looks vastly improved, in every department. 

And hey, I'm praising a player who's doing it against Barcelona, PSG and EPL opposition. It's a refreshing chance from people here raving about McGregor running the midfield against Dundee or Christie scoring a belter against St Mirren or some player from the English Championship. (I'm not picking of Celtic. I would make a Rangers player an example, but they don't have many current Scotland players)

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Yes, apparently Konami are McTominay or his pa, tool. ;) 

https://www.footyheadlines.com/2019/07/ft-scott-mctominay-pes-2020-global.html

I don't think many people here have seen him during United's pre-season. I have. He looks vastly improved, in every department. 

And hey, I'm praising a player who's doing it against Barcelona, PSG and EPL opposition. It's a refreshing chance from people here raving about McGregor running the midfield against Dundee or Christie scoring a belter against St Mirren or some player from the English Championship. (I'm not picking of Celtic. I would make a Rangers player an example, but they don't have many current Scotland players)

Haha seen that, not a wind up apparently. 

Ive said he’s a good player but your praise of him is a bit OTT

Just now, ParisInAKilt said:

Haha seen that, not a wind up apparently. 

Ive said he’s a good player but your praise of him is a bit OTT

Nope. ;)

Normally I'd agree. Last season he was good, in stages he was very good, but he's head and shoulder above everyone In the Man United midfield this pre-season. I know that pre-season doesn't mean much, and generally it doesn't, as it's just a way to gain match-fitness and sharpness, but he's been a stand-out. He dominated the midfield of Spurs and Inter Milan and he's assisted two goals in the process.

As a person he's very much like Darren Fletcher. Humble, down-to-earth, a willingness to work and listen and learn and improve. I'd actually say that at the same age, McTominay is better. If McTominay starts the season in the United first 11 Its a good sign.

Some of the passes he made against Spurs were Scholesque. And the thing that impressed me more than the passing, the tackling, the assists, was the moment he stood up for James when he was on the receiving end of some rough treatment, which included squaring up to Harry Kane. 

He's pretty much the only Scotland player I'm looking forward to seeing this season, well, him and Robertson.

5 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Nope. ;)

Normally I'd agree. Last season he was good, in stages he was very good, but he's head and shoulder above everyone In the Man United midfield this pre-season. I know that pre-season doesn't mean much, and generally it doesn't, as it's just a way to gain match-fitness and sharpness, but he's been a stand-out. He dominated the midfield of Spurs and Inter Milan and he's assisted two goals in the process.

As a person he's very much like Darren Fletcher. Humble, down-to-earth, a willingness to work and listen and learn and improve. I'd actually say that at the same age, McTominay is better. If McTominay starts the season in the United first 11 Its a good sign.

Some of the passes he made against Spurs were Scholesque. And the thing that impressed me more than the passing, the tackling, the assists, was the moment he stood up for James when he was on the receiving end of some rough treatment, which included squaring up to Harry Kane. 

He's pretty much the only Scotland player I'm looking forward to seeing this season, well, him and Robertson.

See how he goes this season, before a ball is kicked he’d be in my Scotland 11

3 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

See how he goes this season, before a ball is kicked he’d be in my Scotland 11

Fingers crossed he becomes the successor to Roy Keane. Those are big shoes to fill, but I think he's up the challenge.

Yeah, me, too.

During the pre-season match against Leeds the commentator (The commentator was Scottish), said "McTominay, a starter for Manchester United and a sub for Scotland..." in a sarcastic tone.

As much as I rate McTominey, he’s playing against the team 7th in the Norwegian league so tonight’s performance doesn’t mean a lot.. He will be judged on his league form when the epl season starts.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

As much as I rate McTominey, he’s playing against the team 7th in the Norwegian league so tonight’s performance doesn’t mean a lot.. He will be judged on his league form when the epl season starts.

Agreed.

Did you watch the match, though? Matic barely completely a single pass. I wouldn't be surprised if they released him.