Scott McTominay - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I can't disagree with any of that, as it's spot-on.

However, Robertson, Tierney and Fraser are players that we've produced by accident and not design. These three are a few levels above their Scottish pears (apart from McTominay). I'd say that those four (including McTominay) can play in multiple positions and make it look seamless. Look at McTominay, at youth level he played a fair percentage of his matches as a striker.

The better a player is the better they are at adaptability.

The majority of our players look unconvincing in one position, let alone multiple positions. Trust me, if we managed to snare a top manager he would mould those four and build the team around them. There would be none of this "playing players out of position" nonsense. A top manager would make sure that the end justified the means.

Maybe the rest don't have the conference to play in these different positions.

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/7/2019 at 7:07 PM, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Article in today's mirror saying OGS is that impressed with McTominay, he's going to build his squad around him for next season. No quotes though

Thought this when you wrote it but surely OGS won't be building a squad anywhere anytime soon.

• 2 months later...

Perhaps reading too much into this but I'm intrigued by the fact McTominay seems at the forefront of Man Utd publicity this summer. He's at the front of their new kit launch and today on Facebook he appeared at the front of promotion of their friendly today.

Positive signs

3 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

Perhaps reading too much into this but I'm intrigued by the fact McTominay seems at the forefront of Man Utd publicity this summer. He's at the front of their new kit launch and today on Facebook he appeared at the front of promotion of their friendly today.

Positive signs

Definitely a good sign. I hope he gets a real chance this season. It's bizarre, every time he starts for Man U or Scotland he plays an absolute blinder, then the next game he's on the bench hahaha. He's a fantastic footballer. Let him play! 

United currently playing Perth Glory. They're going to start two different teams in each half. McTominay will get the second half.

Talking of players who have played well in multiple positions, here's four pages worth: http://www.redcafe.net/threads/players-who-were-decent-in-two-positions-or-more.448915/page-4

Plus McTominay can pretty play anywhere through the middle.

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

I think John Greig played every position on the park at least once. He even had a go at being a goalie in a Cup final once. If we could only find 4 or 5 players as good as John Greig from somewhere.

I think it's a generational Scottish thing. Nowadays If you suggest a player plays a different position it's like you're saying they play a different sport.

5 hours ago, Orraloon said:

I think John Greig played every position on the park at least once. He even had a go at being a goalie in a Cup final once. If we could only find 4 or 5 players as good as John Greig from somewhere.

If we had seven McTominay's  2 would be in Central defence, one would be right back 3 would be in the centre of midfield  and the final one up front.

Not making out he is some sort of god but he is better than what we have in all those positions. Think that leaves room for Robertson, Fraser and probably Forrest( plus a keeper}

I said when he got his Man Utd contract to the surprise of the Man U fans they had basically got a £25m defensive midfielder, a £20m central midfielder a £20m right sided midfielder a a £15m right back a £15m central defender and a £10m forward for nothing, which is not a bad thing with squad rotation being what it is.

He might be worth a bit more now.

Chirper suggesting every one can do that is just his usual drivel.

2 hours ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Chirper suggesting every one can do that is just his usual drivel.

So, you're a liar.

I've read all Chripper's posts and not once did he suggest that "ever player" can slot seamlessly into different positions.

Far as I can tell he only mentions Robertson and Tierney in the anchorman position. We don't have any defensive midfielders so it's not exactly "men in white coats" thinking.

1 hour ago, SkyBlueScot said:

That's quite a commitment to your research! I don't envy you having to do that as that guy was such a d*ck.

Aww, thank you!

You know what they say "If you fail to prepare then prepare to fail".

I'm sure he liked you, if he noticed you. Which I don't think he did... Notice you, I mean.

On ‎7‎/‎13‎/‎2019 at 10:01 PM, The_Dark_Knight said:

So, you're a liar.

I've read all Chripper's posts and not once did he suggest that "ever player" can slot seamlessly into different positions.

Far as I can tell he only mentions Robertson and Tierney in the anchorman position. We don't have any defensive midfielders so it's not exactly "men in white coats" thinking.

This post is tragic on so many levels.

3 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

This post is tragic on so many levels.

Ah! So you think more Scotland players can play in multiple positions? 

I get it. Not sure I agree, though.

Most of our players struggle in one position, never mind being versatile enough to slot into another one. Take McGinn and Burke as prime examples, I'm not even sure what their position is!

McGinn has this habit of taking the ball in, dropping his shoulder and trying to dribble past his man... Even when he's in his own box. An as anchorman he'd be a ticking time bomb.

The anchorman position is pretty much one of the most important positions in a team. We haven't had a really top one since Paul Lambert.

Talking of, why United are still coaxing an pandering to Paul Pogba is a mystery. I would get it if he was akin to Pirlo or Xavi or Iniesta, etc, but the lad is a liability. For all the abuse McTominay received online during his breakthrough season (Because fans saw him as a tool that Mourinho was using against the United board), I would say that he has Pogba in his shadow, and the majority of the Manchester United fans know it.

McTominay is captain material, both at club and country level, as for Pogba, he's just a player who's motivated by money.

Having a good player is one thing, it's an added bonus when you have a good person, in Robertson and McTominay we have two of them, so it's no surprise that they're at the top of their sport.

8 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Talking of, why United are still coaxing an pandering to Paul Pogba is a mystery. I would get it if he was akin to Pirlo or Xavi or Iniesta, etc, but the lad is a liability. For all the abuse McTominay received online during his breakthrough season (Because fans saw him as a tool that Mourinho was using against the United board), I would say that he has Pogba in his shadow, and the majority of the Manchester United fans know it.

McTominay is captain material, both at club and country level, as for Pogba, he's just a player who's motivated by money.

Having a good player is one thing, it's an added bonus when you have a good person, in Robertson and McTominay we have two of them, so it's no surprise that they're at the top of their sport.

Probably because if they hang him out to dry and make it known that they wont stand for his bullshit then that seriously changes how much he is worth to a potential suitor.

On 4/29/2019 at 5:08 PM, Chripper said:

The better a player is the better they are at adaptability.

And yet Andy Robertson, one of the best left backs in the world, was complaining about the difficulties of playing left wing back.

You must be right and him wrong tho, after all, what does he know.

14 hours ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

Are you McTominay or his pal? He’s got potential but he’s very much early stages and not at the top of his sport.

Pogba is a bit of dick but he’s won major trophies.

7 hours ago, Tartan_McCole said:

Probably because if they hang him out to dry and make it known that they wont stand for his bullshit then that seriously changes how much he is worth to a potential suitor.

Selling him is "hanging him out to dry"?

He's a world cup winner, I doubt he'd be short of potential destinations.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

and not at the top of his sport.

He's a starter at Manchester United. If that isn't at the top of football then where is? Manchester United is a global giant.

2 hours ago, andyD said:

And yet Andy Robertson, one of the best left backs in the world, was complaining about the difficulties of playing left wing back.

You must be right and him wrong tho, after all, what does he know.

I'll take this one.

If Jurgen Klopp told him to play wing-back do you honestly think he'd complain? No. He'd buckle down and give it his all. Same if Clarke told him.

4 minutes ago, The_Dark_Knight said:

I'll take this one.

If Jurgen Klopp told him to play wing-back do you honestly think he'd complain? No. He'd buckle down and give it his all. Same if Clarke told him.

I don't think Klopp would 'tell' him to play wingback, just like Klopp didn't play him at fullback until he was ready. He's a good enough manager to know that you don't just shove players into a system and hope for the best.

But I'm sure you're right.. what doesn't Klopp know.

Just now, andyD said:

I don't think Klopp would 'tell' him to play wingback, just like Klopp didn't play him at fullback until he was ready. He's a good enough manager to know that you don't just shove players into a system and hope for the best.

But I'm sure you're right.. what doesn't Klopp know.

Yeah. I'm not going to go around and around with this anymore.

People in this place keep saying "Oh X keeps talking about Y", but if no one kept bringing up Y and kept asking questions about X's opinions about Y then X wouldn't keep harping on about Y. Therefore, people should either stop bringing up Y, or they should stop whinging about X talking about so much because If people didn't bring up Y to X then X wouldn't talk about Y so often.