Scott McTominay - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

13 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I think he's proven tonight that he's wasted as an anchorman.

The thing that impresses me about him is he turned up for our previous two matches whilst suffering from a stomach bug. He's shown more dedication with that one gesture than the majority of our players, current and past.

He is probably our best maybe even our only option as anchor man though unfortunately. Wherever he plays in midfield though I believe he will be our best midfielder

6 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

He is probably our best maybe even our only option as anchor man though unfortunately. Wherever he plays in midfield though I believe he will be our best midfielder

He's improving in every match he's playing.

I've said it in the past and I'm going to say it again (I'm not going to justify myself for the millionth time), Andrew Robertson would make for an awesome anchorman. His desire, the fact that he never stops running and his intelligence, he'd be brilliant in that role.

A central midfield of McGregor, Robertson and McTominay would look pretty impressive.

If Alaba and Kimmich can switch between full back and anchorman then Robertson definitely can.

1 minute ago, Chripper said:

He's improving in every match he's playing.

I've said it in the past and I'm going to say it again (I'm not going to justify myself for the millionth time), Andrew Robertson would make for an awesome anchorman. His desire, the fact that he never stops running and his intelligence, he'd be brilliant in that role.

A central midfield of McGregor, Robertson and McTominay would look pretty impressive.

If Alaba and Kimmich can switch between full back and anchorman then Robertson definitely can.

How many more players are in this midfield?

To be honest you are starting to convince me that Robertson out of position is not as idiotic as it once sounded. He is a world class left back when playing in a world class team. We are not world class and we do have Tierney for left back.

We could probably muster a decent team for a 4-3-2-1 formation if we could find a couple of central defenders, a right back and a centre forward..

44 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

How many more players are in this midfield?

To be honest you are starting to convince me that Robertson out of position is not as idiotic as it once sounded. He is a world class left back when playing in a world class team. We are not world class and we do have Tierney for left back.

We could probably muster a decent team for a 4-3-2-1 formation if we could find a couple of central defenders, a right back and a centre forward..

3-5-2 (So three central midfielders)

I'm glad you're coming around to the idea. Exactly. I think Robertson is so good that he could be head and shoulders above the majority of our players if he played in their natural positions. His tenacity and his drive and sheer will to will would pretty much put the frighteners up the opponents especially those of lesser teams. Imagine him teamed up with McTominay and another central midfielder, those two alone would be mightily impressive, add a third midfielder and it would give us a fierce midfield. Plus adding Tierney to the left wing back, our midfield 5 (adding the wingbacks) would have so much potential, as Tierney, Robertson and McTominay are still young.

23 minutes ago, Chripper said:

3-5-2 (So three central midfielders)

I'm glad you're coming around to the idea. Exactly. I think Robertson is so good that he could be head and shoulders above the majority of our players if he played in their natural positions. His tenacity and his drive and sheer will to will would pretty much put the frighteners up the opponents especially those of lesser teams. Imagine him teamed up with McTominay and another central midfielder, those two alone would be mightily impressive, add a third midfielder and it would give us a fierce midfield. Plus adding Tierney to the left wing back, our midfield 5 (adding the wingbacks) would have so much potential, as Tierney, Robertson and McTominay are still young.

Were's Fraser, and we don't have one central defender never mind three. using your three in midfield with Fraser and Forrest further forward makes some sort of sense.

David Bates played in a back three against lowly Magdeburg at home yesterday and they lost 2-1, just saying.

We still need to create a back four  somehow 

Edited by ceudmilefailte

1 minute ago, ceudmilefailte said:

Were's Fraser, and we don't have one central defender never mind three. using your three in midfield with Fraser and Forrest further forward makes some sort of sense.

David Bates played in a back three against lowly Magdeburg at home yesterday and they lost 2-1, just saying.

11 minutes ago, ceudmilefailte said:

A central midfield of Fraser, Robertson and McTominay has promise. With Forrest pretty much having a free-role up front, along with a yet unnamed striker.

We don't have one central defender, but that's pretty much the point of us playing with 3, or 5 when we're defending. Putting an extra central defender in the middle of our usual two would compress things and ultimately make it more difficult to play through us. If we get in a manager who knows what he's doing then I'm sure that this system would go some way of bridging the gap and make us more difficult to beat.

I'm definitely liking the idea of the Fraser, Robertson and McTominay. Imaging if Fraser gets a move to Arsenal, that'll mean all three with be playing for top 6 EPL teams. 

1 hour ago, ceudmilefailte said:

It's actually nice to hear so many of them admitting that they made a mistake by judging the lad as average and not good enough for Manchester United. Against PSG he was like an absolute rock defensively, tonight he gave an all-round midfield performance. He was solid in the tackle, he conducted play, he stroke forward with the ball and he was ambition with the passing. His passing seems laser-guided at times.

He created a chance for Rashford that could've lead to a goal later on In the match.

At one point he ran with the ball and was surrounded by three Barca midfielders and he still came out with possession!

He's so calm and composed on the ball, I actually think he is better than Darren Fletcher at the same age. Fletch was very hit and miss with his passing when he first broke through, McTominay is much more cultured. Another positive thing about the lad is that he's genuinely humble and he's down-to-earth and more than willing to listen. He wants to improve and it's refreshing to see a Scottish player who doesn't think he's "made it" and begins to regress.

He was the man of the match tonight, of all the players. Which speaks volumes for the lad.

7 hours ago, Chripper said:

A central midfield of Fraser, Robertson and McTominay has promise. With Forrest pretty much having a free-role up front, along with a yet unnamed striker.

We don't have one central defender, but that's pretty much the point of us playing with 3, or 5 when we're defending. Putting an extra central defender in the middle of our usual two would compress things and ultimately make it more difficult to play through us. If we get in a manager who knows what he's doing then I'm sure that this system would go some way of bridging the gap and make us more difficult to beat.

I'm definitely liking the idea of the Fraser, Robertson and McTominay. Imaging if Fraser gets a move to Arsenal, that'll mean all three with be playing for top 6 EPL teams. 

I thought your midfield 3 was McGregor Robertson and Mctominay now Fraser is in there. That is 3 central Midfielders with only one a natural central midfielder. And who exactly is to play right wing back since we have no one at all capable of the role. And please don't even mention that duffer O'Donnell

And yes McTominay Fraser and Robertson could all potentially play for a top 6 side but 2 got their move, Fraser being one of those hopefully, to those sides on the back of their performances in their NATURAL positions. I'm sorry and I agree with you on a lot of things but this 352 fascination is getting out of hand. As I explained before it may be useful in certain games, but playing a formation the players aren't used to in positions they aren't used to is mad. Anyway agree to disagree on this one

27 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

I thought your midfield 3 was McGregor Robertson and Mctominay now Fraser is in there. That is 3 central Midfielders with only one a natural central midfielder. And who exactly is to play right wing back since we have no one at all capable of the role. And please don't even mention that duffer O'Donnell

I would chop McGregor, I don't really rate him anyway. If a player is good enough he's more capable of adapting to different roles. This fascination that we have with playing players in their "natural" roles is a big part of the problem why our kids are limited. From an early age they're pigeon-holed to play in a position and that's that. In Holland, Germany and France, etc, especially those three countries, their kids (5 years old+) aren't set positions. One match they play one position and the next they play another, then another, and another. Look at Davids, Gullit, Seedorf, Beckenbauer, etc, those great players could've played in any outfield position without looking out of play. 

Robertson is approaching world class, If he isn't there already, McTominay is really coming on age at United and Fraser is doing brilliantly with Bournemouth. Fraser has proved me wrong, as I didn't really rate him, but this season he has been tremendous. Robertson began as a left winger, he's now a left back. McTominay spend a lot of his youth career in attack for Man United as well as midfield and defence. And Fraser is playing more of a free-role with his club.

I'm positive that all three could make for a dynamic midfield. In an ideal world yes, Robertson would be at left back and Fraser would be further forward, but look at our midfield options. I'd laugh if it wasn't so pathetic.

As for right wingback, I don't know. Maybe Phillips as he's played that role a lot for WBA. 

34 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

And yes McTominay Fraser and Robertson could all potentially play for a top 6 side but 2 got their move, Fraser being one of those hopefully, to those sides on the back of their performances in their NATURAL positions. I'm sorry and I agree with you on a lot of things but this 352 fascination is getting out of hand. As I explained before it may be useful in certain games, but playing a formation the players aren't used to in positions they aren't used to is mad. Anyway agree to disagree on this one

Nah. Don't be sorry, I welcome your input. 

The fascination with 4-2-3-1 and 4 at the back in general is one that has went over my head since Vogts ripped up Craig Brown's successful 3-5-2 formula. We cannot play with 4 at the back. I think we proved that against Kazakhstan where they absolutely ripped up apart. Looking back on it, I could've been 6 or 7.

This playing a "formation that our players aren't used to" has been debunked. Our players are used to playing 4 at the back and where exactly has that got us? Nowhere. Our players weren't used to playing 3-5-2 at club level when Brown was manager and we still managed to qualify for two successive tournaments, and it should've been three, as we battered England in the 2000 playoffs.

The structure of 3-5-2 naturally compresses and packs the middle of the park and our players are generally closer in proximity to one another. I watched the Kazakhstan match again (I must be insane) and the way that they set up their 3-5-2 is reminiscent of how we used to deploy it. They were compact, their three central defenders moved as one, their central midfield hunted as a trio and every single time we had the ball in midfield their trio swallowed our midfield. They were organized and they absolutely nailed the tactics.

If the Kazakhstan players can get used to 3-5-2 and ours can't, we're in an even bigger hole than I thought.

Playing Fraser and Forrest anywhere other than their natural wide berths would be criminal. McGregor, McTominay, Christie and Armstrong are all good players more than capable at international level. McTominay has now proven what he offers against the likes of PSG and Barcelona. 

As for Tierney, I see him playing right back going forward.... O’Donnell and Palmer I don’t believe are good enough.

37 minutes ago, SWMM82 said:

As for Tierney, I see him playing right back going forward.... O’Donnell and Palmer I don’t believe are good enough.

I was always opposed to playing him at right back but now I think we have no option. I think with it we abandon ideas of a back 3.

I don't care what the doommongers say, we have a good young team.

4 minutes ago, SkyBlueScot said:

I was always opposed to playing him at right back but now I think we have no option. I think with it we abandon ideas of a back 3.

I don't care what the doommongers say, we have a good young team.

Yeah a good young team, but weak in certain areas unfortunately, namely goalkeeper, right back and up top. 

What's the thoughts on Ross McCrorie as the potential anchorman. Always seems to be picked for the bigger games against better sides by Gerrard and has a cracking win ratio with him in the side. Against lesser sides it is understandable there may not be a need for him but against more difficult opponents he seems to break up the play and win the ball back very well. Any Rangers fans have any thoughts on him? 

3 hours ago, Chripper said:

Nah. Don't be sorry, I welcome your input. 

The fascination with 4-2-3-1 and 4 at the back in general is one that has went over my head since Vogts ripped up Craig Brown's successful 3-5-2 formula. We cannot play with 4 at the back. I think we proved that against Kazakhstan where they absolutely ripped up apart. Looking back on it, I could've been 6 or 7.

This playing a "formation that our players aren't used to" has been debunked. Our players are used to playing 4 at the back and where exactly has that got us? Nowhere. Our players weren't used to playing 3-5-2 at club level when Brown was manager and we still managed to qualify for two successive tournaments, and it should've been three, as we battered England in the 2000 playoffs.

The structure of 3-5-2 naturally compresses and packs the middle of the park and our players are generally closer in proximity to one another. I watched the Kazakhstan match again (I must be insane) and the way that they set up their 3-5-2 is reminiscent of how we used to deploy it. They were compact, their three central defenders moved as one, their central midfield hunted as a trio and every single time we had the ball in midfield their trio swallowed our midfield. They were organized and they absolutely nailed the tactics.

If the Kazakhstan players can get used to 3-5-2 and ours can't, we're in an even bigger hole than I thought.

Unlike the 16 or 17 it could have been the last time we played 3-5-2,  against Israel?

Doe's 4-5--1 not achieve the same thing?

I don't think Robertson has had one above average game since becoming captain, but then I said when he became captain playing on the wing is not were you want your captain which is partly why I agree with you on  moving him more central. 

Tierney is also a better defender which I think Fraser needs. I don't think Fraser and Robertson really complement each other due to how weak the rest of our team is.

Please stop mentioning 1998, it really has no bearing on our current squad.

All discussions are  a waste of time really as we will be lucky to get any more than seven of our best players willing enough to turn up at any one time for the current regime.