Scott McTominay - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

4 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I think we all want the best man for the job, no matter his nationality.

I don't think it's a case of him talking his manager up, it's more of a case of a player being inspired by his manager. Maybe that's why he impoved WBA and is improving Kilmarnock, his ability to inspire and to engage players. He worked at Liverpool and Chelsea, those clubs don't employ token staff on the coaching side of things.

...and thats the main point Im trying to make. Hopefully the SFA do their job properly this time.

As I said, I'd hope that there would be candidates out there who's main achievements were better than taking WBA to 8th in the league, coaching for a while at Liverpool and improving Kilmarnock, but we'll see.

2 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

...and thats the main point Im trying to make. Hopefully the SFA do their job properly this time.

As I said, I'd hope that there would be candidates out there who's main achievements were better than taking WBA to 8th in the league, coaching for a while at Liverpool and improving Kilmarnock, but we'll see.

I think we all know what we want, but we haven't a clue what the SFA wants. They probably want to see McLeish's contract expire and appoint someone like Stuart McCall.

I don't think so. People will see us get torn to shreds by Kazakhstan and struggle against the worst ranked team on planet Earth and they'll run a mile. If we have a good youth structure in place, if the SFA were organized and the whole of Scottish football was heading in the same direction then yes, I'm sure a decent manager would be interested... but Scottish football is imploding.

21 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I think we all know what we want, but we haven't a clue what the SFA wants. They probably want to see McLeish's contract expire and appoint someone like Stuart McCall.

I don't think so. People will see us get torn to shreds by Kazakhstan and struggle against the worst ranked team on planet Earth and they'll run a mile. If we have a good youth structure in place, if the SFA were organized and the whole of Scottish football was heading in the same direction then yes, I'm sure a decent manager would be interested... but Scottish football is imploding.

There is a reasonable nucleus to work with. The current manager is an imbecile, the players clearly don't want to work with him and tactically he has always been poor. Our pool of players is no worse than Northern Irelands, and not significantly worse than Wales or Eire, we just need someone to recognise the strengths and weaknesses BUT the main thing is that he garners respect and is able to bring the full squad together, and I include the players who have declared themselves unavailable in that.

You're right, there is a lot wrong currently, but I think a good manager will be able to dig out the positives and work with them better than Mcleish

Remind me why John McGinn starts ahead of Scott McTominey.

McTominey is playing in the champions league and does not look out of place... McGinn give the ball away every game... I just seen a clip from the semi final..Hibs v aberdeen and reminded me of a goal he costed hibs after 12 seconds.  Sometime you need skill, composure and ability and sometime just trying to stick your Ar*e into people wont work and you will lose the ball

16 minutes ago, jamboman said:

Don't you know, scoring goals against teams like Sheffield Wednesday and Middleborough mean more than a man of the match performance against PSG and a brilliant all action first half display against Barcelona. 

44 minutes ago, jamboman said:

McTominey is playing in the champions league and does not look out of place... McGinn give the ball away every game... I just seen a clip from the semi final..Hibs v aberdeen and reminded me of a goal he costed hibs after 12 seconds.  Sometime you need skill, composure and ability and sometime just trying to stick your Ar*e into people wont work and you will lose the ball

Not the same though, McTominey is a DM, McGinn is box to box.

There is space for both of them in a 4-2-3-1.

1 hour ago, killiefaetheferry said:

Should be fine. Barcelona are no Kazhakstan or San Marino. A few more games at this level and he should at least be considered for slightly more game time against Cyprus.

I think that we have no choice right now.  Two Champions League 'regulars' in the team is really positive and hopefully increase next year!

2 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

I agree. I think McGinn and McTominay would be great together. 4 goals in the last 6 for McGinn and the momentum Villa have suggest he may well be playing in the EPL next season. Would like to see him playing against better opposition each week.

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Fred appears to be the anchor man in this game with McTominay got a little licence to press higher up the pitch

6 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Are you watching the match?

McTominay is playing as a box-to-box midfielder and doing it brilliantly.

4 minutes ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Sounds like we're lucky to have got him

We are. You can actually see him grow with confidence. It's nice to see.

5 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Fred appears to be the anchor man in this game with McTominay got a little licence to press higher up the pitch

Fair enough. Normally it's McTominay sitting infront of back 4 and then Pogba and Herrera ahead playing in opposition half.

He's an automatic pick for Scotland anyway, that's been obvious since he declared 12 months ago.

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

Fair enough. Normally it's McTominay sitting infront of back 4 and then Pogba and Herrera ahead playing in opposition half.

He's an automatic pick for Scotland anyway, that's been obvious since he declared 12 months ago.

I think he's proven tonight that he's wasted as an anchorman.

The thing that impresses me about him is he turned up for our previous two matches whilst suffering from a stomach bug. He's shown more dedication with that one gesture than the majority of our players, current and past.