Scott McTominay - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Scott McTominay

Chripper

I think he deserves his own thread.

I was watching the previous two Scotland matches and I felt sorry for McTominay. He probably didn't know what he was signing up for when he snubbed England. I bet he doesn't regret his choice, though. He appears to be very much akin to Darren Fletcher, not just a blonde midfielder at Manchester United, but also his humility, his down-to-earth character and his will to listen, learn and develop.

Ever since he broke through at United he's been targeted by United fan boys that want a good looking flash Italian that can do more tricks than a magician, as opposed to an average looking Scot who is grounded and who is extremely dependable. The abuse that he's received online has been terrible, and that's another thing that he has in common with Fletcher. I just don't understand why so called fans would direct such bile towards one of their players, never mind one of their younger players. It's not like he's a bomb-scare on the ball, on the contrary, I'd say that he's one of most composed United players. If he was Brazilian and he cost £80m the United fans would be purring and calling him a Rolls Royce, but he isn't, he's Scottish, he came through the youth system, he didn't cost a penny, so they treat him as if he's worthless.

Darren Fletcher won the united fans over and I'm getting the impression that they're finally realizing that McTominay isn't as bad they thought he was. He's pretty much the only player who came out with any credit against Wolves and the United fans I feel are starting to warm to him.

Hopefully he can keep his first team place, as he offers much more than Matic. He showed against Wolves that he isn't just a destroyer and a player who picks the safe passes. He has more strings to his bow than most people think. He was constantly making intelligent runs against Wolves and his range of passing was superb. He showed earlier on in the season that he can stride up the park and make things happen. The more matches he plays the better he's becoming. When he becomes more confident he has the potential of being a really top player.

With Scotland, though, as with Darren Fletcher before him, he'll never really be fully utilized as he's playing with Championship standard players.

16 hours ago, Chripper said:

I think he deserves his own thread.

I was watching the previous two Scotland matches and I felt sorry for McTominay. He probably didn't know what he was signing up for when he snubbed England. I bet he doesn't regret his choice, though. He appears to be very much akin to Darren Fletcher, not just a blonde midfielder at Manchester United, but also his humility, his down-to-earth character and his will to listen, learn and develop.

Ever since he broke through at United he's been targeted by United fan boys that want a good looking flash Italian that can do more tricks than a magician, as opposed to an average looking Scot who is grounded and who is extremely dependable. The abuse that he's received online has been terrible, and that's another thing that he has in common with Fletcher. I just don't understand why so called fans would direct such bile towards one of their players, never mind one of their younger players. It's not like he's a bomb-scare on the ball, on the contrary, I'd say that he's one of most composed United players. If he was Brazilian and he cost £80m the United fans would be purring and calling him a Rolls Royce, but he isn't, he's Scottish, he came through the youth system, he didn't cost a penny, so they treat him as if he's worthless.

Darren Fletcher won the united fans over and I'm getting the impression that they're finally realizing that McTominay isn't as bad they thought he was. He's pretty much the only player who came out with any credit against Wolves and the United fans I feel are starting to warm to him.

Hopefully he can keep his first team place, as he offers much more than Matic. He showed against Wolves that he isn't just a destroyer and a player who picks the safe passes. He has more strings to his bow than most people think. He was constantly making intelligent runs against Wolves and his range of passing was superb. He showed earlier on in the season that he can stride up the park and make things happen. The more matches he plays the better he's becoming. When he becomes more confident he has the potential of being a really top player.

With Scotland, though, as with Darren Fletcher before him, he'll never really be fully utilized as he's playing with Championship standard players.

I've worked it out...you're either Scott McTominays da' or his girlfriend.

10 hours ago, teecee- said:

A much improved player who looks more assured at Man Utd. Needs to start against Cyprus.

No question.

The thing about him and Robertson is that they're improving with every club game which will only be good for Scotland.

10 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I've worked it out...you're either Scott McTominays da' or his girlfriend.

Scott McTominays? Do you know the difference between plural and singular?

Last time I checked there was only one Scott McTominay. :)

8 hours ago, andyD said:

For me he should be a nailed on starter for us.

McTominay, Robertson, Forrest and Fraser.
The rest of the side is somewhat up for grabs, some positions more than others obvs

Absolutely right.

If we can get a manager in that can build the team around those four (throwing in Tierney) and properly organize them then we might do fine.

Unfortunately for us our best players aren't always available for one reason or another, let's not get into that again though, and the back up to these guys are on a far lower level. There is a few right good talented players in the squad though specifically the ones you have mentioned. If we could just add a couple of important pieces namely a top centre half and top centre forward you would be very confident in our side if we had a decent manager organising them. 

26 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Unfortunately for us our best players aren't always available for one reason or another, let's not get into that again though, and the back up to these guys are on a far lower level. There is a few right good talented players in the squad though specifically the ones you have mentioned. If we could just add a couple of important pieces namely a top centre half and top centre forward you would be very confident in our side if we had a decent manager organising them. 

Agreed.

If we could get someone of the calibre of Steve Clark then I'm convinced he'd improve us, but we all know that the chances of the SFA making the next appointment a good one is pretty much non existent. 

I think we all know the answer to our troubles, and hopefully it'll be displayed when we play Cyprus. If we make a big enough ruckus then there's no way that they'll be able to ignore us, the media certainly won't.

15 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm not sure that I really understand the clamour for Stevie Clarke either...I'd far rather we broadened our horizons and brought in the best person for the job rather than the best Scotsman

He's transformed Kilmarnock to a team facing relegation, on a yearly basis, to one that's challenging for second and third. He managed WBA to their highest ever EPL league finish.

As far as Scots go, he's head and shoulders above everyone.

I definitely wouldn't be opposed to a foreign manager, though. You can't castigate us for mentioning Scots, though, as we're more aware of them than foreign managers. It's up to the SFA to find someone, anyone. But chances are they'll go for the easiest and cheapest option.

53 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

I'm not sure that I really understand the clamour for Stevie Clarke either...I'd far rather we broadened our horizons and brought in the best person for the job rather than the best Scotsman

Well it's all about realistic options and Steve Clarke fits that bill. He's Scottish and knows the players available and he's good at getting results with limited resources and talent. He's also well within our price range salary wise. But I agree that we shouldn't limit our choice to just Scottish managers.

Thats the thing, the media are far more aware of Scottish managers too, they pick their white knight, spout all sorts of shite and the masses then agree, before the SFA go and 'get their man'. The appointment of Clarke reminds me so much of the Craig Levein for Scotland episode.

Clarke is a good manager, hes done well at Killie, but I don't see anything on his cv that excites me to the point that I'm salivating at the thought of him in a Scotland trackie...Stuart McCall took Motherwell to 2nd and 3rd place finishes with Motherwell, but was never considered for the Scotland gig, and nor should he have been.

We should be scouring the planet for the best option, not being happy with the guy thats a few miles down the Mseeventyseeven

7 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

Well it's all about realistic options and Steve Clarke fits that bill. He's Scottish and knows the players available and he's good at getting results with limited resources and talent. He's also well within our price range salary wise. But I agree that we shouldn't limit our choice to just Scottish managers.

Its a big wide world out there, and since Berti Vogts we've continually had managers who 'fit the bill', are 'Scottish', and 'know the players available'...we've also had managers who were good at getting results with limited resources that made a pigs ear of the Scotland job, namely Levein and Burley.

13 hours ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

Its a big wide world out there, and since Berti Vogts we've continually had managers who 'fit the bill', are 'Scottish', and 'know the players available'...we've also had managers who were good at getting results with limited resources that made a pigs ear of the Scotland job, namely Levein and Burley.

Levein was awful in his brief spell at Leicester, fill half the side with players he knew from Hearts like De Vries and Alan Maybury. Leicester fans couldn't wait to get shot of him so I really didn't want him appointed to the NT, just too limited to me when tasked with higher level challenges and so it proved.

Burley was frustrating as he did do well with a few clubs in England and also got Hearts top of SPL for a bit. Guess it was just a poisoned chalice after following the 18 month "high" of Smith/McLeish era.

Steve Clarke did alright at WBA, only full season they finished 8th and weren't even in bottom 3 when he was dismissed the following season. In the 5 and a half years since the managers they've appointed have all done worse than him.

From a very limited pool of domestic candidates he's easily the best qualified. McInnes second but his lack of success in actually taking Aberdeen into europa league group stages (when Dundalk and St Pats have managed it in last 6 years) is a bit of a sticking point to me so would have reservations.

Edited by Tartan Chris

1 hour ago, Tartan Chris said:

Man. United got a few midfield injuries so looks like he's starting v Barca.

Let's see if he can hold his own v them like he did v PSG and Liverpool.

Something seriously wrong if he can yet he's deemed not good enough to start v Kazhakstan.

That's great news.

In fairness, McTominay had a stomach illness during those two matches, so he had the runs and McLeish probably didn't want to play him through the illness.

If nothing else, it goes to show just how Scott McTominay is dedicated to playing for us, it's very much what Darren Fletcher did.

15 hours ago, Chripper said:

Absolutely right.

Are the SFA really going to scour the globe, though?  I'm thinking no.

The support and media should be putting pressure on them to find the best man...not the best Scot. The media hold so much sway in this decision

10 hours ago, Tartan Chris said:

Levein was awful in his brief spell at Leicester, fill half the side with players he knew from Hearts like De Vries and Alan Maybury. Leicester fans couldn't wait to get shot of him so I really didn't want him appointed to the NT, just too limited to me when tasked with higher level challenges and so it proved.

Burley was frustrating as he did do well with a few clubs in England and also got Hearts top of SPL for a bit. Guess it was just a poisoned chalice after following the 18 month "high" of Smith/McLeish era.

Steve Clarke did alright at WBA, only full season they finished 8th and weren't even in bottom 3 when he was dismissed the following season. In the 5 and a half years since the managers they've appointed have all done worse than him.

From a very limited pool of domestic candidates he's easily the best qualified. McInnes second but his lack of success in actually taking Aberdeen into europa league group stages (when Dundalk and St Pats have managed it in last 6 years) is a bit of a sticking point to me so would have reservations.

'Stevie Clarke did alright at WBA'...I'd like a wee bit more on the national managers cv to be completely honest. Clarke would be the lazy and cheap option.

2 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The support and media should be putting pressure on them to find the best man...not the best Scot. The media hold so much sway in this decision

I don't think I've read anything about the Scotland fans only wanting a Scottish manager.

2 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

'Stevie Clarke did alright at WBA'...I'd like a wee bit more on the national managers cv to be completely honest. Clarke would be the lazy and cheap option.

Steve Clarke finished 8th in the EPL with a team that belongs where they are right now, the Championship. Finishing 8th in a top league with a Championship level club is fantastic. He would've probably have gotten a job with top 6 club if he was from overseas.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

I don't think I've read anything about the Scotland fans only wanting a Scottish manager.

Steve Clarke finished 8th in the EPL with a team that belongs where they are right now, the Championship. Finishing 8th in a top league with a Championship level club is fantastic. He would've probably have gotten a job with top 6 club if he was from overseas.

The only name thats really been mentioned so far is Clarke...we shouldn't just accept the 'medias pick'

Every now and again a team thats not expected to finish in the top half of that league, does. Some might call it a one season wonder

3 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

The only name thats really been mentioned so far is Clarke...we shouldn't just accept the 'medias pick'

Every now and again a team thats not expected to finish in the top half of that league, does. Some might call it a one season wonder

Fine. Name a non Scot. Because I'm drawing a blank. 

I think if they didn't get rid of him he WBA would've been a permanent fixture in the top 8. I think you're underestimating him a little bit. Just a couple days ago one his Kilmarnock players said that he's so mesmerized by Clarke's training methods that's he's going to do his coaching badges. Clarke is obviously a man who can inspire others.

5 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Fine. Name a non Scot. Because I'm drawing a blank. 

I think if they didn't get rid of him he WBA would've been a permanent fixture in the top 8. I think you're underestimating him a little bit. Just a couple days ago one his Kilmarnock players said that he's so mesmerized by Clarke's training methods that's he's going to do his coaching badges. Clarke is obviously a man who can inspire others.

To be totally honest, I'm not up on my international fitba coaches anymore...and I'm not anti-Clarke either, I just want the best person put in place and I want the SFA to do their proper due diligence rather than being lead by the hand again by the likes of Keith Jackson, Bill Leckie and Hugh Keevins.

Players talking their manager up isn't a new phenomenon either.

5 minutes ago, ONeils4oyarder said:

To be totally honest, I'm not up on my international fitba coaches anymore...and I'm not anti-Clarke either, I just want the best person put in place and I want the SFA to do their proper due diligence rather than being lead by the hand again by the likes of Keith Jackson, Bill Leckie and Hugh Keevins.

Players talking their manager up isn't a new phenomenon either.

I think we all want the best man for the job, no matter his nationality.

I don't think it's a case of him talking his manager up, it's more of a case of a player being inspired by his manager. Maybe that's why he impoved WBA and is improving Kilmarnock, his ability to inspire and to engage players. He worked at Liverpool and Chelsea, those clubs don't employ token staff on the coaching side of things.

I'd take Steve Clarke in a second!

The problem we have isn't as superficial as who our manager is, though. I wish it was.

Edited by Chripper