New kit - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New kit

paulc76

First of all, Looks like this is first post, welcome to the board. You'll find everyone welcoming,  courteous and a keen listener. 

So with that out the way. I would like to see the Lion Rampant motive used, Perhaps the away top fits that aesthetic better. Yellow Top with Red Lion. 

The home top, I favor simplicity. Harken back to one of the Diadora tops, they cleverly used the Saltire from a top down perspective with white flashes on the shoulders, I liked that allot.

I also like symmetry, and I liked the use of subtle tartan on the collar of the home 1990 and sleeves of the 2014 top or the all out use of tartan as used on the 94/96 home top. I've never seen tartan socks, that could be interesting. Many people will wish for proper  red socks not maroon.

What I don't want is something that is either made cheap or looks cheap like the 2017/18 home it seemed like a cheap training vest.

If your mate is up for the challenge and part of the design team, ask him to come up with a decent Home and Away setup, the current ones are decent but in recent memory we either get one nice strip and one less desirable effort. 

More info for you 

No pin stripes, no fake collar, no massive floppy collar either. The current round badge is great. 

Good home efforts from Adidas - 2010 first one, a beauty, 2017-19 another beauty.

Bad home efforts from Adidas - 2016 home seemed a lazy effort to me, 2011 home - felt too busy with the saltire effect and surrounding squiggles. 

I personally think tartan should be a big part of EVERY Scotland strip be it rugby or football seen as it’s such a powerful cultural symbol of our purely scottish identity that we own. I say we go big or go home with the next one and try to better the ‘96 all tartan effort. We all know we’re in a 90’s throwback era atm in terms of fashion and pop culture so why not use the Euro 96 top as a template? I think if designed well an all tartan bespoke effort would be a guaranteed win and would fly off the shelves.

Plain navy blue top, Adidas stripes down the sleeves, white round collar, round badge on the left, white shorts, red socks. 

Thats it. Get that suggested to your mate and it’ll be the best selling Scotland strip of all time. 

(And tell him to forget that Climalite pish - one wear and it’s covered in pulls).

Edited by McTeeko

Everyone wants plain dark blue and a badge. Pretty much it. Not me, though, I would like to see something not seen before.

Do you remember the Rangers top between 92-94? Link

Don't know what it is, I just love the three stipes draping down each shoulder look. I remember Liverpool had a similar top, but three stripes only on the one shoulder. It would be interested to see it in dark blue and with a Scotland badge in the middle.

I'd buy it tomorrow.

Edited by Chripper

4 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Simplicity...

Law+1967.JPG?format=500w

I was going to joke we've never had green or orange.   However, the '96 tartan had green and in '57 we once had (yuk) orange shorts.   Best ignore me anyway!

That wasn't a choice though, the source I've read says that we were forced by the FIFA to wear darker coloured shorts so TV viewers could tell us apart from Switzerland. 

Not for the Welsh kit designer, but I'd get rid of the Lion Rampant badge and change it to a Thistle.

Anything dark blue would be great! Wales have had some amazing kits in recent years, so take some inspiration from that ; but dark blue with even a touch of heather/purple/green/tartan would be supoib.

35 minutes ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Another vote for all dark blue.

Get those red socks to feck.

Yes, this too.

The Blue, white, red - meh! Get it in the bin and as a friend said who's not Scottish "Are those colours for Britain?" Boak!

Yellow or navy blue socks please.

11 hours ago, weekevie04 said:

Not for the Welsh kit designer, but I'd get rid of the Lion Rampant badge and change it to a Thistle.

Anything dark blue would be great! Wales have had some amazing kits in recent years, so take some inspiration from that ; but dark blue with even a touch of heather/purple/green/tartan would be supoib.

A wee while since we last had a thistle.   This is on primrose & pink though in 1901.

Robert_Smyth_McColl_c1901.jpg

5 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Love the idea of a large red lion rampant on the chest of a yellow away top!

Question: why do the national team play in dark blue?

The usual answer is that it was the Queen's Park kit

However the first International Rugby game was played a year before the first International football game and the Scottish team wore dark blue tops, white shorts and blue and white striped socks

I used to believe it was because of the Saltire however i was soon slapped down by Aaid and was introduced to pantones to which i have never fully recovered

It was only matched by discovering accidentally that there is no such animal as a Black Panther - it's either a Leopard or a Jaguar with black pigmentation

2 hours ago, Rude Gullit said:

Love the idea of a large red lion rampant on the chest of a yellow away top!

Question: why do the national team play in dark blue?

I personally think tartan should be a big part of EVERY Scotland strip be it rugby or football seen as it’s such a powerful cultural symbol of our purely scottish identity that we own. I say we go big or go home with the next one and try to better the ‘96 all tartan effort. We all know we’re in a 90’s throwback era atm in terms of fashion and pop culture so why not use the Euro 96 top as a template? I think if designed well an all tartan bespoke effort would be a guaranteed win and would fly off the shelves.

I second this! Let’s get the lion rampant flag on our away strip. It’s strange this has never happened. It’s an obvious design win. The designers would have to find the proper combination of colours for the full kit though or else’s it would look crap. For the away effort I’d go for gold top-plus big red lion rampant, white shorts and white socks with gold and red piping.