Rod Petrie to be named SFA President - Is there anything we can do? - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Rod Petrie to be named SFA President - Is there anything we can do?

NedvedNedved

Hello all,

You are probably aware Rod Petrie is due to stand for SFA president unopposed in June. As a Tartan Army supporter for the last 8 years and having just returned from the games, it feels very wrong there is no challenge to his authority, particularly when we are at such a low ebb. 

As I understand it the cut off for nominations are 31st March. Is there anything we can do to stop this, or highlight further the need for greater accountability here? Do we as the supporters have any levers we can pull politically to at least force the organisation to consider alternatives? Can we back a candidate that may want the role? Can we start a petition? I know some of these suggestions sound far-fetched but it is worth asking at such a critical juncture.

I'd like positive suggestions only here please - I don't want this to turn into a moan about the SFA again.

1 hour ago, NedvedNedved said:

Hello all,

You are probably aware Rod Petrie is due to stand for SFA president unopposed in June. As a Tartan Army supporter for the last 8 years and having just returned from the games, it feels very wrong there is no challenge to his authority, particularly when we are at such a low ebb. 

As I understand it the cut off for nominations are 31st March. Is there anything we can do to stop this, or highlight further the need for greater accountability here? Do we as the supporters have any levers we can pull politically to at least force the organisation to consider alternatives? Can we back a candidate that may want the role? Can we start a petition? I know some of these suggestions sound far-fetched but it is worth asking at such a critical juncture.

I'd like positive suggestions only here please - I don't want this to turn into a moan about the SFA again.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR_SADd3Qjcpn754bGzthC

If he is unopposed then there nothing that can be done about it.  I would say someone needs to have a conversation with someone else to put forward their nomination.  I don't know how the process wroks, how votes for the appointment? 

haven't wee seen the 

creation of project brave

streamlining the leagues into SPFL

new play offs across the divisions with excitement that goes with it

crowds up across divisions

A new CEO of the organisation

i know i'm going to get crucified for this but it seems to me that our problems are limited to the players turning up for the Scotland national team and having a decent manager calling the shots.

I don't understand what else changes anything.

I think folk thinking a whole new grassroots strategy are missing the point.  We simply need to create a club atmosphere around the national team, get our best players on the park and set out with decent tactics.  Good enough players exist right now to take us to the finals.

the rest is fluff.

11 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I think folk thinking a whole new grassroots strategy are missing the point.  We simply need to create a club atmosphere around the national team, get our best players on the park and set out with decent tactics.  Good enough players exist right now to take us to the finals.

No, you're missing the point.

Alright, let's say we bring in a progressive manager that brings all our players together, the training sessions and fun and every single Scotland player is enthused to join up with the squad. Our atmosphere is akin to a club.

OK. How exactly is this going to encourage the SFA to build proper facilities so that kids can train properly? Look at Iceland, they have a population of 330,000 and yet they have 30 full-size pitches, seven of them are indoors, and almost 150 smaller artificial arenas so that their youngsters can continue to play and to train in winter. 

What are the SFA doing? They had a turnover of £40million last year. I don't see them doing 1/100th of wat the Iceland FA have done.

What you're suggesting is exactly what the SFA want. They want the national team to regain the feel-good spirit so that it distracts us from the big picture.

32 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Alright, let's say we bring in a progressive manager that brings all our players together, the training sessions and fun and every single Scotland player is enthused to join up with the squad. Our atmosphere is akin to a club.

OK. How exactly is this going to encourage the SFA to build proper facilities so that kids can train properly? Look at Iceland, they have a population of 330,000 and yet they have 30 full-size pitches, seven of them are indoors, and almost 150 smaller artificial arenas so that their youngsters can continue to play and to train in winter. 

What are the SFA doing? They had a turnover of £40million last year. I don't see them doing 1/100th of wat the Iceland FA have done.

What you're suggesting is exactly what the SFA want. They want the national team to regain the feel-good spirit so that it distracts us from the big picture.

We're already producing players good enough to take us to finals.

There's probably about 30 football pitches in Glasgow alone.  Have you seen some of the indoor pitches around Scotland?  They do exist.

There's already a grassroots programme demanding coaching and infrastructure improvement.

£40m turnover.  Turnover.  Buttons in the real world.

If you want your kids to play football there's a million places to take them.  There are hundreds of kids on football programmes.  There's thousands of kids in football teams.  There's many, many coaches going through badges when that was not necessary before.

If we were getting to finals, and we have the players to do so, most people would be happy.  My kids would be happy.  I'll take them to their football team on a Sunday regardless.  I don't need to change one blaser for another to make any difference.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

Interesting figures there, what's the source for that information though? Would like to have a read at it in more detail.

48 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

We're already producing players good enough to take us to finals.

There's probably about 30 football pitches in Glasgow alone.  Have you seen some of the indoor pitches around Scotland?  They do exist.

There's already a grassroots programme demanding coaching and infrastructure improvement.

£40m turnover.  Turnover.  Buttons in the real world.

If you want your kids to play football there's a million places to take them.  There are hundreds of kids on football programmes.  There's thousands of kids in football teams.  There's many, many coaches going through badges when that was not necessary before.

If we were getting to finals, and we have the players to do so, most people would be happy.  My kids would be happy.  I'll take them to their football team on a Sunday regardless.  I don't need to change one blaser for another to make any difference.

Oh really? Where are these players? Barring Robertson, Tierney, McTominay and Fraser we have no one of quality. Are you referring to the raft of players that we have in the English Championship or the Celtic players who play against teams that make them look like Brazil?

Where's the indoor facilities?

Yes, the holy grail of the performance schools. Yes. France open Clairefontaine back in the 80s and we establish a handful of piddly performance schools. Fantastic. All is forgiven SFA.

Buttons? So you're saying that isn't enough? How do you think Iceland afforded their facilities? You think they're made with twigs and mud?

Where's the actual evidence of this? In Holland, France, Germany, even Iceland, they professionally train and coach kids from 5 years old. That is what you call structure. With us it's haphazard. How else could you explain the majority of Scottish professions not being able to do the basics?

If we get to the finals then it's a case of papering over the cracks.

23 minutes ago, Terry Munro said:

Interesting figures there, what's the source for that information though? Would like to have a read at it in more detail.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30012357

16 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oh really? Where are these players? Barring Robertson, Tierney, McTominay and Fraser we have no one of quality. Are you referring to the raft of players that we have in the English Championship or the Celtic players who play against teams that make them look like Brazil?

Where's the indoor facilities?

Yes, the holy grail of the performance schools. Yes. France open Clairefontaine back in the 80s and we establish a handful of piddly performance schools. Fantastic. All is forgiven SFA.

Buttons? So you're saying that isn't enough? How do you think Iceland afforded their facilities? You think they're made with twigs and mud?

Where's the actual evidence of this? In Holland, France, Germany, even Iceland, they professionally train and coach kids from 5 years old. That is what you call structure. With us it's haphazard. How else could you explain the majority of Scottish professions not being able to do the basics?

If we get to the finals then it's a case of papering over the cracks.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/30012357

I can think of at least 4 indoor pitches off the top of my head.  Fantastic facilities.  Been to Herriot Watt?  Toryglen?

I can think of umpteen places to play football within a few miles of where I am now - top class indoor turf and outdoor.

Do you know anything about the work being done?  If your kid's 5 there's places to take them for coaching now.  Leagues a plenty for all levels.  They're even taught not to win, all about technique.  There are more kids playing football than ever under proper licenced coaching.

Top class players come through the clubs and are picked up.  We have a few already and more to come. You've named some of them.  There are hundreds being trained professionally as you've pointed out.  Maybe it was late.  So be it.  It's done now.

You might not agree but most would think we have at least as good a team as the other home nations bar England.  And have good enough players to qualify.

We have at least as good facilities as most counties and the good youngsters are already picked up by the top teams and sent to academies down south.  They don't disappear because they've gone south of the border.

You think we create 2 or 3 more indoor pitches and we create what ,1 more quality player?  Holland have been pish for years.  So have Denmark.  Theyve got good facilities. It's not a guarantee.

What a lot of guff.  You don't play in the EPL if you can't do the basics.  We've got almost as good a team now as were ever going to have for our demographic.  We'll ocassionaly get lucky and get a Bale type but that's luck.

There's loads of opportunities for kids to play football.  It's a boring cop out that gets raised every time.  Get a decent manager in and start setting us up to win games.  They're more than capable.

2 minutes ago, PapofGlencoe said:

I can think of at least 4 indoor pitches off the top of my head.  Fantastic facilities.  Been to Herriot Watt?  Toryglen?

I can think of umpteen places to play football within a few miles of where I am now - top class indoor turf and outdoor.

Do you know anything about the work being done?  If your kid's 5 there's places to take them for coaching now.  Leagues a plenty for all levels.  They're even taught not to win, all about technique.  There are more kids playing football than ever under proper licenced coaching.

Top class players come through the clubs and are picked up.  We have a few already and more to come. You've named some of them.  There are hundreds being trained professionally as you've pointed out.  Maybe it was late.  So be it.  It's done now.

You might not agree but most would think we have at least as good a team as the other home nations bar England.  And have good enough players to qualify.

We have at least as good facilities as most counties and the good youngsters are already picked up by the top teams and sent to academies down south.  They don't disappear because they've gone south of the border.

You think we create 2 or 3 more indoor pitches and we create what ,1 more quality player?  Holland have been pish for years.  So have Denmark.  Theyve got good facilities. It's not a guarantee.

What a lot of guff.  You don't play in the EPL if you can't do the basics.  We've got almost as good a team now as were ever going to have for our demographic.  We'll ocassionaly get lucky and get a Bale type but that's luck.

There's loads of opportunities for kids to play football.  It's a boring cop out that gets raised every time.  Get a decent manager in and start setting us up to win games.  They're more than capable.

Yeah, well, when it reaches 150 let me know. You can mention Herriot Watt and Toryglen all you like, the fact is that they aren't owned by any dedicated football federation. Herriot Watt is a University, so having access to their facilities isn't always going to be regular. The SFA have nothing to do with Herriot Watt, so I'm not sure why a University is even being brought up. We aren't the only country in the world which has a University that has good sporting facilities.

Yes, and I bet they're unused and always empty.

Yes, I know a lot about the work not being done, I mean, being done. Alright, so there's places dedicated to take your kids so that they can be coached properly. Do you know what they do in Holland? Germany? France? All the proper football nations? In those nations their facilities aren't splintered, so much so that it takes extra effort by the parents to get proper coaching. Those nations work with the parents and the schools in order to make it as easy as possible. This country you have to go an extra mile. And as I said, it's splintered, there's not one streamlined system where all the kids are working under the same ethos.

In winter our kids can't play football outside. This is fact. And our winters last for what, three, four months? That's three or four months coaching that our kids are missing out on. Holland and Denmark have been pish for years? If we met Holland next week they'd beat us 5 or 6 nil, same with Denmark. And you can say what you like about those nations, but you can sure that their kids have much better technique than ours.

Who do we have in the EPL? Fraser. Who else here rates the skills of Paterson? Who would have James McArthur in the Scotland squad, never mind the team? You're acting like we have players scattered all through the EPL. We have two players in the top ten. So now you're blaming our footballing inadequacies on geography? Now you're reaching. We're bordering England, they aren't doing too badly. Even Wales are holding their own. Iceland did more in one finals campaign than we've done in our history. You don't see them letting geography keep them down. That same "wee country" attitude makes us tethered to England.

OK. There's lots of opportunities for kids to play football. Why don't we produce any good footballers then? Lack of indoor facilities? The parents? Because according you everything's rosy. We have tons of indoor pitches, fantastic facilities, etc, so why our kids still all about the kick and rush style? Nothing that I've seen this season or the past 10 tells me that the SFA or the clubs are doing anything right with regards to grassroots.

Hell, the second best club in Scotland trains on a public park. Pretty much sums us up as a nation.

2 hours ago, PapofGlencoe said:

That'll come in handy when they become full Scotland internationals.