Alex McLeish - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex McLeish

Jim Beem

12 hours ago, Chripper said:

These innuendos are getting boring.

He's just not a very good manager. It has nothing to do with whatever he's being accused of doing in his spare time.

He has never been a very good manager. At Rangers and at Scotland he was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time.

Could people stop giving McLeish an excuse for his failures?

Thanks.

Sorry but the bit about being at Rangers at the right time is utter shite. He was the manager during a significant cost cutting exercise and his success was very much unexpected. 

Celtic should have been strolling the league but thanks to them making mistakes and McLeish keeping us consistent we won. Helicopter Sunday being the very best example. 

He may not have been a world beater but he was a good manager back then. 

Finding the vitriol against McLeish a tad much. As a player he usually gave his all, was brave and did not hide on the pitch. A good guy as well off it. As a manager I'd be shocked if he was not trying to get the best out of the players he can pick. For whatever reason it does not seem to be working this time around. Maybe he is past it and does not inspire any confidence in the latest generation. I think people get carried away and forget who Alex McLeish was and is. I am sorry it is not working out as well as hoped but that does not make the guy a cunt or whatever... Sure would be amusing to dig out all these posts if by some small chance we did qualify. Unlikely but you never know.

15 hours ago, scotlad said:

Yep, a classic case of too little too late.  That said, we'd have been unseeded for the play-offs and I seriously doubt we'd have got through them.

For me, Steve Clarke is the current stand-out Scottish manager.  He's shown he can organise a team and get the most out of the players at his disposal.  He's a very well regarded coach both in Scotland and abroad who'd command the respect of players.

The only thing is, I doubt the SFA would ask him and even if they did I'm not sure he'd be interested.

He would be an excellent choice as he has got the best out of a limited group but I doubt he would take the job, maybe he would if we offered him a much bigger pay than he's getting at Killie but I doubt the SFA will bother their arses anyways.

And 5 minutes of listening to Gordon talk at half time on Sky Sports should have been enough for anyone to know his departure was the right decision irrespective. If McLeish does not work out as it is looking that changes nothing regarding Strachan, it was time for him to go, two failed campaigns. If he came back now he would see it as some sort of vindication of the shite he did initially and I reckon he'd double down on the stubbornness and arrogance, he'd be nightmare I suspect. Plus Mark McGheee... naw.

16 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

He would be an excellent choice as he has got the best out of a limited group but I doubt he would take the job, maybe he would if we offered him a much bigger pay than he's getting at Killie but I doubt the SFA will bother their arses anyways.

I don't think Clarke is overly bothered about cash at this stage in his career.

Killie was/is a good fit for him. His brothers support Killie, he get's to stay nearby his father/brothers/sisters in Saltcoats and where he grew up and he's managing the team where his older brother is a club legend in their 150th anniversary year.

I think he'll see out next season then go down south (unless Fulham or somebody come in for him) and that he's got too much of a backbone to work for these clowns at the SFA. I couldn't imagine he'd stand for their amateur pish.

Killie job very much the perfect storm (he was actually approached by the Killie Trust chairman who knew him/his brothers) and asked him if he'd be interested in the Killie job, he said tell them to contact me and the rest is history.

Don't ask you don't get I suppose.

8 minutes ago, Squirrelhumper said:

I don't think Clarke is overly bothered about cash at this stage in his career.

Killie was/is a good fit for him. His brothers support Killie, he get's to stay nearby his father/brothers/sisters in Saltcoats and where he grew up and he's managing the team where his older brother is a club legend in their 150th anniversary year.

I think he'll see out next season then go down south (unless Fulham or somebody come in for him) and that he's got too much of a backbone to work for these clowns at the SFA. I couldn't imagine he'd stand for their amateur pish.

Killie job very much the perfect storm (he was actually approached by the Killie Trust chairman who knew him/his brothers) and asked him if he'd be interested in the Killie job, he said tell them to contact me and the rest is history.

Don't ask you don't get I suppose.

Clarke is the only choice I would be happy with, anything else would be a case of lets see what happens. 

16 hours ago, Toepoke said:

Have heard rumours about his health that I very much hope are untrue, but it's fairly obvious that the squad is underperforming in his charge.

If he does has health issues which i also hope are untrue, then he really needs to step down for his own good as things are not going to get any better soon. No doubt that they are underperforming or just not playing for him and his staff. If he is still in charge come the Cyprus match it will be interesting to see the attendance figures.

45 minutes ago, thplinth said:

Finding the vitriol against McLeish a tad much. As a player he usually gave his all, was brave and did not hide on the pitch. A good guy as well off it. As a manager I'd be shocked if he was not trying to get the best out of the players he can pick. For whatever reason it does not seem to be working this time around. Maybe he is past it and does not inspire any confidence in the latest generation. I think people get carried away and forget who Alex McLeish was and is. I am sorry it is not working out as well as hoped but that does not make the guy a cunt or whatever... Sure would be amusing to dig out all these posts if by some small chance we did qualify. Unlikely but you never know.

Tbh I respect the guy for his career both as a player and a manager but it feels like he's got some kind of problem and is definitely not fit for the job imo. Why he was appointed in the first place is a mystery but I suppose the SFA are fucking idiots. The result v Kazakhstan has really fucked him tbh, losing 3 nil to them is totally unacceptable and he will always be struggling from now on to keep his job.

23 minutes ago, ParisInAKilt said:

No offence to Killie but if we can’t attract Clarke then it shows either how bad the SFA are as an employer and / or how low the lure of the Scotland job is to half decent managers 

Most people want week to week work and not months off at time you get with international football.

25 minutes ago, mccaughey85 said:

The result v Kazakhstan has really fucked him tbh, losing 3 nil to them is totally unacceptable and he will always be struggling from now on to keep his job.

Aye. The next 6 months will be awful. Even if he gets the expected 3 points from the next double header, he really needs to beat Russia at home in September to recover any kind of faith in him. If we don't beat Russia, we're looking at 6 points from the opening 7 qualifiers.

7 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

i'm not convinced we will beat Cyprus. I think they are a better team than us right now. Home advantage might be just enough for us to sneak a win. Depends who can be bothered to turn up, I suppose.

I have to agree that it will be down to who is available to play at that time. 

If we get our first team then we'll have a chance. 

2 hours ago, thplinth said:

Agree. He was a great player for Scotland and is obviously a fan. I’m quite sure he’d be fine company over a pint. It’s not working out and he ought to go, but I won’t be using any derogatory language to describe him.

1 hour ago, ParisInAKilt said:

I’d have a lot more respect for McLeish if he walked away himself rather than waiting for the inevitable sacking by the time our hopes of qualifying will either be over or resting on the nations league playoffs. 

Would you make yourself voluntarily unemployed because you weren't performing well in your job? 

Would you hang on in the hope you could turn it round? 

10 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Would you make yourself voluntarily unemployed because you weren't performing well in your job? 

Fair enough if he thinks he can turn it around, he can’t and that’s when the SFA should be stepping in but fuck him if he decides to stay, he’s way out of his depth and actively ruining our chances of qualifying. 

I’d like to think I’d walk away in his situation but who knows. 

32 minutes ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Hmmmm.

I don’t profess to know Alex McLeish’s financial position, but lets assume after a pretty successful career at the top of the game, that money is not a particular issue for him. On that basis I’d like to think that he viewed taking on the Scotland job again as a labour of love. So if he’s making an arse of it, I’d expect him to have the decency to step down. That is not the same as your analogy of equating it to one of us walking voluntarily from our job.

If he’s skint and doing it for the cash, that’s a different matter.

Edited by Marky

5 hours ago, thplinth said:

I'm glad that you wrote that.  I totally agree with your comments on Mcleish as a player and from everything that others have said he's a decent bloke.  Yes some decisions he makes we might not agree with and we don't know the inside story of why we appear to have some many call-offs. I'm sure he's doing his best and may well believe that he can turn it around.  I worry however that he isn't the same manager as first time around and that we need someone fresh in to get us out of the rut we are in.