Alex McLeish - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Alex McLeish

Jim Beem

He has to go, unfortunately the shambolic SFA will let him stumble on to the next disaster. 

Strachan had us playing well, a cohesive, organised unit. Any progress has been thrown away, we have regressed badly under Mcleish. There are plenty managers out there that would improve us immediately.

Just now, thelonehutch said:

He has to go, unfortunately the shambolic SFA will let him stumble on to the next disaster. 

Strachan had us playing well, a cohesive, organised unit. Any progress has been thrown away, we have regressed badly under Mcleish. There are plenty managers out there that would improve us immediately.

Strachan blew it in Dublin, Slovakia and Slovenia. 

2 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

Strachan failed twice and always gave players excuses for the shit games they played. 

Just now, thelonehutch said:

Were we playing better under Strachan before he went or are we playing better under Mcleish?

Doesn’t really matter, no point appointing Strachan, as far as he is concerned our players are not tall enough. Very much doubt they have got any taller in the last few years 

35 minutes ago, Jim Beem said:

Genuinely believe something not quite right with him. I hope he resigns for his own mental well being.  

The SFA should not be employing a man in his state. They should relieve him of his duties but also get him the help he needs.

We should not be employing a charity case in McFadden also. 

37 minutes ago, thelonehutch said:

Were we playing better under Strachan before he went or are we playing better under Mcleish?

Strachan , no doubt about it , still had pish like georgia away tho where he tries to be a smart arse and says something like ; ive talked to people who know football and they tell me we played well...

his constant reliance on out of form middle of the road english championship players is well documented 

am not defending mcleish in this latest management gig whatsoever, but he did blood a bunch of players in peru/mexico

san marino game was a hiding to nothing ; we struggle in that fixture each time ; recall watching the first game ; 91 ? Where Strachan played and again very laboured ( with a supposedly better team then ...)

mcleish ahould have been binned after kaz 0-3 game; let grant/mcfadden/kit man do next game then can them too

2 minutes ago, ghtresa said:

Georgia was the worst in my opinion. Just because Mcleish is awful doesn't mean Strachan should have stayed.

Aye i struggled with the dublin away synopsis 

thought 1-1 was a decent result , even the home game was tight , think they hit the bar at parkhead ?

they were a very good side then that beat and drew with germany

52 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Strachan blew it in Dublin, Slovakia and Slovenia. 

Slovakia was a terrible result and performance (albeit one completely eclipsed by the one on Thursday) but going to the Republic of Ireland and Slovenia and drawing is decent.  Even England couldn't win in Slovenia.  Drawing at home to a poor Lithuania side was, for me, Strachan's worst result from the World Cup campaign - had we won that we'd have made the play-offs.

Strachan's time in charge wasn't brilliant but it was nowhere near as bad as some people on here make at out.  At the very least it seemed like the players wanted to play for him.

6 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Slovakia was a terrible result and performance (albeit one completely eclipsed by the one on Thursday) but going to the Republic of Ireland and Slovenia and drawing is decent.  Even England couldn't win in Slovenia.  Drawing at home to a poor Lithuania side was, for me, Strachan's worst result from the World Cup campaign - had we won that we'd have made the play-offs.

Strachan's time in charge wasn't brilliant but it was nowhere near as bad as some people on here make at out.  At the very least it seemed like the players wanted to play for him.

Agreed - away draws in Ireland and Slovenia were positive results in isolation; it was only because we messed up in games we should be winning that they look like disappointments. Once Strachan worked out that using the Celtic lads as the core of the team was the best option during the World Cup campaign, we improved significantly. Had he worked it out sooner, I'm certain we'd have made the play-offs.

The players seem to have known what they were supposed to do under Strachan, whereas they look completely lost under McLeish.

We need a manager who can get the best out of what we've got, McLeish has proven that he can't. Steve Clarke is the first name that springs to mind as to who can, but he probably wouldn't be offered it. Perhaps there are better foreign managers who could do the job, they would come into the job with a completely clean slate - less preconceived ideas about what Scotland should and shouldn't do, can and can't do; this may be something that's held us back when compared to other nations our size.

9 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Agreed - away draws in Ireland and Slovenia were positive results in isolation; it was only because we messed up in games we should be winning that they look like disappointments. Once Strachan worked out that using the Celtic lads as the core of the team was the best option during the World Cup campaign, we improved significantly. Had he worked it out sooner, I'm certain we'd have made the play-offs.

The players seem to have known what they were supposed to do under Strachan, whereas they look completely lost under McLeish.

We need a manager who can get the best out of what we've got, McLeish has proven that he can't. Steve Clarke is the first name that springs to mind as to who can, but he probably wouldn't be offered it. Perhaps there are better foreign managers who could do the job, they would come into the job with a completely clean slate - less preconceived ideas about what Scotland should and shouldn't do, can and can't do; this may be something that's held us back when compared to other nations our size.

That's exactly it.

Too many Scottish managers and coaches are stuck in their cosy wee bubble and don't want to change, even though their ideas are decades totally out of date.

I know of current managers whose training is still laps round the track, press ups, sit ups - no ball work at all. Many too are not  bothered by players eating burgers and take aways, smoking and drinking. And people are fine with this ?

He should never have got the job and needs the sack immediately.

We have underperformed in almost every single match since he took over. And we will continue to udnerperform

Topping the nations league or even scraping through the play offs (as unlikely as that seems) is all irrelevant. Almost any manager in the world would have us performing better and achieving more than what Alex is now capable of. 

If the SFA don't take action then it's an absolute disgrace.

I believe strachan was capable of taking us to a major tournament, some poor selections cost us. But the margins were thin enough that on another day we would have done it. The team were capable.

His bizarre genetics rant made me think his time was through, more than anything else.

We have regressed massively under McCleish and the margin is huge. We are nowhere near the team we were under strachan. 

That being said - the answer is not to go backwards.Strachan has had his time.

2 hours ago, Jim Beem said:

Genuinely believe something not quite right with him. I hope he resigns for his own mental well being.  

Have heard rumours about his health that I very much hope are untrue, but it's fairly obvious that the squad is underperforming in his charge.

35 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

Yep, a classic case of too little too late.  That said, we'd have been unseeded for the play-offs and I seriously doubt we'd have got through them.

For me, Steve Clarke is the current stand-out Scottish manager.  He's shown he can organise a team and get the most out of the players at his disposal.  He's a very well regarded coach both in Scotland and abroad who'd command the respect of players.

The only thing is, I doubt the SFA would ask him and even if they did I'm not sure he'd be interested.

I was sitting in our hotel the mornin of the Slovenia game thinkin if we win we’re in a playoff but also having read online  they hadn’t been beaten at home I think in 3 years, some people had already made up they’re mind STRACHAN IS AN ARSEHOLE HE MUST GO which I felt was unjust and unfair, his only bad game for me was Lithuania at home,  we drew in Slovenia that night after being ahead gutted wasn’t the word, Any way all I wanted to say was you reap what you sow, sitting here shattered having been through so many time zones this week that game was awful tonight n we are at all time low in my opinion, roll on Tuesday can’t wait til I’m home really fed up.

These innuendos are getting boring.

He's just not a very good manager. It has nothing to do with whatever he's being accused of doing in his spare time.

He has never been a very good manager. At Rangers and at Scotland he was just lucky to be at the right place at the right time.

Could people stop giving McLeish an excuse for his failures?

Thanks.

The only way the SFA can prove everyone wrong is immediately go to Steve Clarke and see what he wants and get him in ASAP