San Marino v Scotland Match Thread - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

San Marino v Scotland Match Thread

Alan

1 minute ago, Tulli said:

What has McLeish learned tonight?  Well, that the likes of O’Donnell, McKenna, McClean, Paterson, Russell, McNulty are just not f...ing good enough for international football. WatchedWales today and the difference in attacking ability was stark, our players are petrified to take a chance and that is not all down to the manager or his tactics. I agree he has to go for us to improve but the ethos of the SPFL - sir in and spoil - plays a large part in where we are.

The problem is we can't just ditch all of those players.  You'd still be struggling for a right back and a centre half and a good goal scorer, none of these problems are new.

Sorry to say but after watching the full 90 minutes on Thursday I have next to no interest in this group now. It's over. Russia will finish 5-6 points clear in second seeing as they can win 4-0 in Astana in second gear.

Scotland will probably scrape 3rd (which needs to happen to have even slightest chance in next WC group) but really rest of campaign is just waiting for McLeish to be dismissed and then hoping a new manager bounce works for the play off.

1 minute ago, Tartan Chris said:

Sorry to say but after watching the full 90 minutes on Thursday I have next to no interest in this group now. It's over. Russia will finish 5-6 points clear in second seeing as they can win 4-0 in Astana in second gear.

Scotland will probably scrape 3rd (which needs to happen to have even slightest chance in next WC group) but really rest of campaign is just waiting for McLeish to be dismissed and then hoping a new manager bounce works for the play off.

The way this group ends up has no relevance for for the World Cup qualifying group, the draw is in July which is mental, barely a year after the last world cup.  

4 minutes ago, Tartan Chris said:

The outstanding question is if the SFA think that McLeish has already earned the right to manage the team through the playoffs - praying for an old manager bounce.

If the rest of the group goes to expectation (e.g. narrow home wins over the bottom two or three teams) then we will secure mid table mediocrity but maybe still not sackable territory.

Edited by exile

3 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

The way this group ends up has no relevance for for the World Cup qualifying group, the draw is in July which is mental, barely a year after the last world cup.  

Oh right I stand corrected. I just assumed it would either be finishing 3rd so in pot 3 like this campaign or Fifa rankings which again you have to win games if you want to move up them (seeing as playing the friendly route loophold has been stopped).

Going back to pot 4 and you might aswell pack up the NT.

1991 this was our team that won away at San Marino:

Goram / Malpas / McKimmie / Nicol / McPherson / McAllister / McCall /  McClair / Strachan / Durie / Gallacher (subs: Nevin / Robertson) -

Far better team but only won 2-0. 

Sullivan, Dailly, Elliott, Hendry, McNamara, Naysmith, Cameron, Hutchison, McCann, Dodds, Gallacher (subs: weir, Johnston, Dickov) - Also only won 2-0

This weeks been a mare but I suspect that McLeish will stay on be in charge against Cyprus.  Bad performance then and it would be impossible for him to stay 

4 minutes ago, exile said:

The outstanding question is if the SFA think that McLeish has already earned the right to manage the team through the playoffs - praying for an old manager bounce.

If the rest of the group goes to expectation (e.g. narrow home wins over the bottom two or three teams) then we will secure mid table mediocrity but maybe still not sackable territory.

I wasn't against McLeish coming back tbh, did fine last time and well the list of credible candidates dosen't exactly stretch to 2 pages in the contacts book.

Kazhak humilation just knocked the stuffing out and really know McLeish is part of the stale and malaise atmosphere the Scottish game finds itself in.

Job is crying out to be given to someone outside that environment who at least has a vision and fresh ideas.

2 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Tartan Chris do you know the permutations of two teams being on the same points, is if GD or head to heads? I am trying to get clarity on that.  

It's head to head, confirmed that earlier from Wikipedia. 

4 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Tartan Chris do you know the permutations of two teams being on the same points, is if GD or head to heads? I am trying to get clarity on that.  

Fifa used GD in last campaign didn't they so guessing that instead of head to head although that was in part to those five team groups so results against bottom teams were taken off at the end to see who made play offs.

No such problem this time.

According to wiki page it's GD again. Edit: No head-to-head I think!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_Euro_2020_qualifying

Edited by Tartan Chris

Kazakhstan and San Marino away. We have a negative goal difference and 3 points!  Worse than that, the players look scared and lacking any in sort of confidence/flare/drive.  I genuinely wouldn’t have been surprised it tonight had finished 1-1. McKenna is a good player but he looked like a shell of himself again tonight. Something very wrong. 

Am I the only one who thinks that McKenna is playing with a bad injury ? I rate McKenna, he does not look his normal self.

McLeish's auld pals on the tv and radio will be saying "that was a great result, wonderful performance, Alex has turned it around, that's why he's such a great manager" :blink:

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Am I the only one who thinks that McKenna is playing with a bad injury ? I rate McKenna, he does not look his normal self.

McLeish's auld pals on the tv and radio will be saying "that was a great result, wonderful performance, Alex has turned it around, that's why he's such a great manager" :blink:

McKenna was carrying a thigh injury. Surprised he played both games.

10 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Kazakhstan and San Marino away. We have a negative goal difference and 3 points!  Worse than that, the players look scared and lacking any in sort of confidence/flare/drive.  I genuinely wouldn’t have been surprised it tonight had finished 1-1. McKenna is a good player but he looked like a shell of himself again tonight. Something very wrong. 

I said something similar the other day. Between the performances, the call offs and retirements over the last 12 months, something definitely stinks.

1 minute ago, ErsatzThistle said:

So far they are saying: they did what they had to do (get a victory) so Kazakhstan is behind us now; it's not easy being away from home and their families and clubs for eight days; they were all trying and would never not be; the fans do not seem very happy, but it can't be easy to play when you are being criticised by your own fans. Words to that effect.  

8 minutes ago, SMcoolJ said:

Can’t agree with that tbh, McKenna has not shown anything over two games against very low ranked teams, in fact you could argue that the only real contribution he had to make was defending a 30 yard cross which be made a balls of. For a CH that is not good enough.  Forget all the “McLeish” pish, that was indicative of the basic errors that many of the players were guilty of, not the managers fault imo.

1 minute ago, exile said:

So far they are saying: they did what they had to do (get a victory) so Kazakhstan is behind us now; it's not easy being away from home and their families and clubs for eight days; they were all trying and would never not be; the fans do not seem very happy, but it can't be easy to play when you are being criticised by your own fans. Words to that effect.  

Away from families doing a job many would give their left nut to do. Fucking sick of these apologists like Strachan. 

As for crisitism from fans, what do they want a fucking standing ovation for being shite at what they do.

Fuck the players and their half arsed efforts, fuck the management for being fucking spineless and fuck the SFA for their blatant incompetence 

27 minutes ago, Hertsscot said:

1991 this was our team that won away at San Marino:

Goram / Malpas / McKimmie / Nicol / McPherson / McAllister / McCall /  McClair / Strachan / Durie / Gallacher (subs: Nevin / Robertson) -

Far better team but only won 2-0. 

Sullivan, Dailly, Elliott, Hendry, McNamara, Naysmith, Cameron, Hutchison, McCann, Dodds, Gallacher (subs: weir, Johnston, Dickov) - Also only won 2-0

This weeks been a mare but I suspect that McLeish will stay on be in charge against Cyprus.  Bad performance then and it would be impossible for him to stay 

Our previous outings in San Marino are why I'm not too upset at tonight's game, it's Thursday that's pissed me off.

3 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Away from families doing a job many would give their left nut to do. Fucking sick of these apologists like Strachan. 

As for crisitism from fans, what do they want a fucking standing ovation for being shite at what they do.

Fuck the players and their half arsed efforts, fuck the management for being fucking spineless and fuck the SFA for their blatant incompetence 

There was plenty cunts stood clapping that shameful performance this evening....