San Marino v Scotland Match Thread - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

San Marino v Scotland Match Thread

Alan

11 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

I dont think theres any result against San Marino which could have been deemed  an apology.

An apology would be winning the next double header, extremely unlikely but it's the only way to make up for this pish start

Yes I said much the same on another thread, nicking an unexpected away point in Russia or Belgium would be more like it

2 hours ago, TDYER63 said:

The section  I was standing everyone was booing and shouting abuse at the SFA. However in other areas they were clapping at the end and I just cannot understand why.

Ok, I felt the players made an effort last night even though they were shite and huffed and puffed , and I can understand fans perhaps not booing, but absolutely no way did they deserve to be clapped. Ffs who out there actually thought that performance was acceptable, it really beggars belief. 

RB does.

2 hours ago, exile said:

I think this is fair comment.  OK maybe not "good" but "reasonable" or "sufficient" by our own standards (except if San Marino must have got worse in world terms than before).

That's to say, if we'd sneaked a 0-1 away win in Astana, we'd be not exactly overjoyed but comfortable enough with 0-2 away.

But that's just the result to say nothing of the performance. The performance was hardly a fitting "apology" to make up for the Kazakh game.

Totally agree but as @vanderark14 says, no result against San Marino was going to make up for Thursday. 

18 hours ago, Third Lanark said:

You take a lot of stick on here but I agree with every word you say, except maybe that Bates and McKenna are still our best back four option - though they need time to build up an understanding not just with each other but with a new goalkeeper.

Thank you!

18 hours ago, Squirrelhumper said:

Can't disagree with any of that, other than I think McGregor is a player and that McKenna is vastly overrated and if we are relying on him as a centre back then we're in trouble.

When McTominay came on he showed himself to be vastly above then other midfielders, his touch, passing, speed of thought was above everyone else on our team. Meanwhile McGregor was constantly spraying balls out of touch.

The midfield should be built around Scott McTominay, the fact that he was on the bench for the two matches shows that McLeish really has lost his marbles.

18 hours ago, Chripper said:

Thank you!

When McTominay came on he showed himself to be vastly above then other midfielders, his touch, passing, speed of thought was above everyone else on our team. Meanwhile McGregor was constantly spraying balls out of touch.

The midfield should be built around Scott McTominay, the fact that he was on the bench for the two matches shows that McLeish really has lost his marbles.

Darren Fletcher Mark 2?

Another Scottish midfielder that we don't have the team to get the best out of, maybe? 

23 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

Totally agree but as @vanderark14 says, no result against San Marino was going to make up for Thursday. 

Yes I said that earlier on another thread, it's agreed nothing they could do to San Marino would make up for it.

The annoying thing being McLeish actually thought it was worth saying or even believing. 

Don't think there was a goals tally that would have been sufficient apology.

But if we'd put in a cohesive performance and looked like an organised, hard working side then that would have counted for something. We didn't tho. We looked slow and lacking imagination. Struggled to break down the worst side in the world and only scored a 2nd because we were so bad they thought they could get something from the game and committed forwards.

It was embarrassing.. which just added to the embarrassment of the previous result.

McLeish has no plan.

21 hours ago, bonny78 said:

What is the problem with this result??

If you didn't watch the game, I can understand why you'd say that.

I think my post immediately before yours sets it out. The performance was really poor. We stuttered. We lacked a plan. The line up made no sense. We only won 2-0 rather than 1-0 due to San Marino coming out of their shell because we were so bad that they thought they could get something.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

If you didn't watch the game, I can understand why you'd say that.

I think my post immediately before yours sets it out. The performance was really poor. We stuttered. We lacked a plan. The line up made no sense. We only won 2-0 rather than 1-0 due to San Marino coming out of their shell because we were so bad that they thought they could get something.

Was still 2-0 like other times we’ve been there.   Don’t think we scored so early last time either

29 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Was still 2-0 like other times we’ve been there.   Don’t think we scored so early last time either

Well, if you want to focus 100% on the score line and ignore everything else, then enjoy your happy days.

1 hour ago, andyD said:

Well, if you want to focus 100% on the score line and ignore everything else, then enjoy your happy days.

Sometimes it’s hard to break down a stuffy team.    The san Marino game is not the issue by a long shot.   It’s the 1st game and the manner which we lose that is the big problem.

Granted the same crappy team struggled in San Marino but they managed to get the job done.   

On ‎3‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 2:58 AM, Chripper said:

Thank you!

Utter pish - he was every bit as useless on the day as the rest of the team -  take the rose tinted glasses off and get real.

40 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Sometimes it’s hard to break down a stuffy team.    The san Marino game is not the issue by a long shot.   It’s the 1st game and the manner which we lose that is the big problem.

Granted the same crappy team struggled in San Marino but they managed to get the job done.   

You must be fucking deluded. The whole game was shyte beyond belief.

2 minutes ago, irnbruman said:

Utter pish - he was every bit as useless on the day as the rest of the team -  take the rose tinted glasses off and get real.

Really?

Pretty much his first pass he almost set up a goal. Look back at it.

Rose tinted glasses? I have no agenda. I will say this, though, when Forrest, Christie, McGregor came up against PSG they were found out to be average.

McTominay? He nullified Verratti for 90 minutes. And I'd say that PSG had as much of the ball against Manchester United as they did against Celtic, so you can't say that "Manchester United are a better team than Celtic", as PSG had about 75% possession against United.

So, "useless"? Hardly. 

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Really?

Pretty much his first pass he almost set up a goal. Look back at it.

Rose tinted glasses? I have no agenda. I will say this, though, when Forrest, Christie, McGregor came up against PSG they were found out to be average.

McTominay? He nullified Verratti for 90 minutes. And I'd say that PSG had as much of the ball against Manchester United as they did against Celtic, so you can't say that "Manchester United are a better team than Celtic", as PSG had about 75% possession against United.

So, "useless"? Hardly. 

You just talk constant shyte on here - I said all the team were pish on the day - the team they were playing were fucking dross. Stick to the subject and stop havering you clown.

Just now, irnbruman said:

You just talk constant shyte on here - I said all the team were pish on the day - the team they were playing were fucking dross. Stick to the subject and stop havering you clown.

I talk "shyte"? Err... OK. Does that word live only in your dictionary?

Thank you very much, though, you're very kind. I do try. It's nice that you've noticed me, can't say that I've noticed you. :)

I'm not deflecting one little bit, Mr Sunshine. I'm merely stating the fact that McTominay was pretty much the only player in the team that had any semblance of touch and ambition, and he did. Pretty much with his first touch he played a ball behind their left back, unleashing one of our players to whip in a cross. And yes, generally he's head and shoulders above the rest of our central midfielders. This isn't my opinion, this is fact, as he's with Man United and the others are with Celtic, Aberdeen, Villa, etc.

If you disagree then fair enough, 'tis a game of opinions. If you want to get aggressive about then it then also fair enough. 🌹

2 hours ago, irnbruman said:

McTominay drove us forward and made better passes in the half hour he had than McGregor did in the first hour of the game.

Got to side with Chripper here. Horrific a thought as that may be.

Also, calm yourself.

4 hours ago, irnbruman said:

You're right chripper does post a lot of shyte but one thing I completely agree with is his thoughts on mctominey. Mctominey, Robertson and Fraser should be the first names on our team sheet.