San Marino v Scotland Match Thread - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

San Marino v Scotland Match Thread

Alan

7 minutes ago, Tulli said:

Can’t agree with that tbh, McKenna has not shown anything over two games against very low ranked teams, in fact you could argue that the only real contribution he had to make was defending a 30 yard cross which be made a balls of. For a CH that is not good enough.  Forget all the “McLeish” pish, that was indicative of the basic errors that many of the players were guilty of, not the managers fault imo.

You’re judging him on one pinpoint cross. I’m judging him on two seasons. 

3 minutes ago, macy37 said:

There was plenty cunts stood clapping that shameful performance this evening....

There always will be, theres always a group of fans who applaud their team regardless. It's not unique to Scotland 

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

That's one way of looking at it. Another is that we have the player with the second highest amount of assists in the EPL behind Eden Hazard on the pitch right now. So is it the players or the tactics/manager?

But that's only one player. We can't clone him.

McGregor is hopeless, so is McLean and Armstrong. The match changed when Forrest and McTominay came on.

10 minutes ago, macy37 said:

There was plenty cunts stood clapping that shameful performance this evening....

There may well have been, but it was blatantly obvious the majority of fans were venting their anger both during and at the end of the match.

53 minutes ago, Chripper said:

McGregor is hopeless, so is McLean and Armstrong. The match changed when Forrest and McTominay came on.

The point is that we have decent players, just don't have a manager who knows what to do with them. To say McGregor and Armstrong are hopeless us just a stupid comment.

2 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

The point is that we have decent players, just don't have a manager who knows what to do with them. To say McGregor and Armstrong are hopeless us just a stupid comment.

Quite agree.

Though the players need a good had look at themselves too.

Trouble is, with a worse performance than usual we've actually reached our optimum away score v San the Man. Every reason, if you're an SFA blazer-filler, to not punt Eck.

1 hour ago, KirkieRobRoy said:

Quite agree.

Though the players need a good had look at themselves too.

Trouble is, with a worse performance than usual we've actually reached our optimum away score v San the Man. Every reason, if you're an SFA blazer-filler, to not punt Eck.

You're probably right about the blazers and their decision making, but I can't understand why historical results against a poor opposition are in any way relevant. Basically what some people are saying is that as long as we beat San Marino at least 2-0 away then it's acceptable, just forget how poor they are. Incidentally Luxembourg beat them 3-0 away last year, just saying.

1 hour ago, stevenmcn said:

McGregor has done nothing in top league football and have done nothing to warrant being labelled "good" or even "decent". He did well with Notts County and Celtic. A big who cares. Armstrong can't break into a poor Southampton team.

Neither of these players did anything of note against Kazakhstan and San Marino.

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Our previous outings in San Marino are why I'm not too upset at tonight's game, it's Thursday that's pissed me off.

Pretty much sums it up for me. We didn't play well tonight but still got the result. 

4 hours ago, macy37 said:

This evenings performance wasn't shameful. Its exactly what we've done every time we've been to San Marino. 

It may not have been pretty or even competent but it wasn't shameful. 

2 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

Can't see there being a big demand for tickets now for the home games at Hampden even if a new manager is appointed.

Perhaps it would be for the best to hold the remaining home games at Easter Rd, Tynecastle and Pittodrie ? 

I think you're right. Better to take the games round the country to the smaller grounds to see if they can drum up some interest. 

Hampden would be a ghost town after Thursdays result and the less than inspiring performance tonight. 

1 minute ago, RenfrewBlue said:

I think you're right. Better to take the games round the country to the smaller grounds to see if they can drum up some interest. 

Hampden would be a ghost town after Thursdays result and the less than inspiring performance tonight. 

RenfrewBlue and me agree on something for once !!

shockerooney :eek: :eek:

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

Are. Sorry, lashing out because of such a shitey double header.

Agreeing with most of your posts. Particularly some from a few weeks ago re. Darren Fletcher. His rhetoric during this international window has been sharp and refreshing - i.e. cut the shit and remember it should be an honour to represent your country. He really needs to be brought into our setup in some capacity.

6 hours ago, Tulli said:

Can’t agree with that tbh, McKenna has not shown anything over two games against very low ranked teams, in fact you could argue that the only real contribution he had to make was defending a 30 yard cross which be made a balls of. For a CH that is not good enough.  Forget all the “McLeish” pish, that was indicative of the basic errors that many of the players were guilty of, not the managers fault imo.

Cant believe all the grief McKenna is getting , young player fairly receny addition to the team ; not a lot of promise in the ch position ; short memories folks have with the hanley/martin bomb scare combination

16 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

Agreeing with most of your posts. Particularly some from a few weeks ago re. Darren Fletcher. His rhetoric during this international window has been sharp and refreshing - i.e. cut the shit and remember it should be an honour to represent your country. He really needs to be brought into our setup in some capacity.

Is it lashing out, though? What have McGregor and Armstrong actually done in football? Both have done/did well for Celtic, but it's more difficult to play badly in a dominating team than to do well. Armstrong has joined a top league and he's pretty much done zero. If McGregor made the same move he'd probably make the same impact.

I'm not trying to single out these two, as you can add Christie, Bain, Shinnie, O'Donnell, Burke, McNulty, McLean, etc, to the list. The jury is out with McKenna and Bates, I don't think they can play in a flat back four, though, not at this level. I'm convinced by Fraser, Robertson, McTominay, Tierney and Forrest. People aim abuse at Forrest but I think Scotland has never properly utilised him proper, apart from the two final matches of the Nations League.

I don't like saying this. Trust me. I wish all our players were playing for top clubs in top leagues but they don't. We must stop watching McGregor, Burke, et al, run rounds around teams that has no disposable income and fool ourselves into thinking that they're good. They aren't. If they were as good as some people think they are they'd be strutting their stuff with AC Milan, Barcelona or Manchester United rather than Aston Villa, Celtic and Southampton.

No doubt. Darren Fletcher should definitely be brought in. I'd suggest that he's more capable and more competent than McLeish, Grant and McFadden combined. If his name was even considered as manager, I'd take him in a heartbeat. The dedication towards Scotland by Darren Fletcher is probably the most I've seen by a Scotland player in my lifetime, and that was even before his illness, throw in his illness and he's a Scotland legend in my book.

40 minutes ago, Rude Gullit said:

When we get a new manager I think he should send a letter or an e-mail to the thirty or so players he does provisionally intend to use for an eighteen month time-frame. 

The content being short and simple

"Do you wish to continue being selected for the Scotland national football team ?"

If the answer to that from some players is

• "nah" 
  • "I'd rather focus on my club career for the next six months but after that I'll be available" 
  • "yes, but can I please be excused from friendly matches/any game on a plastic pitch/games that involves a flight of more than four hours/games where it's very cold/games where it's too hot"

Then fuck 'em, they don't care. Prissy wee cunts

Edited by ErsatzThistle

19 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Is it lashing out, though? What have McGregor and Armstrong actually done in football? Both have done/did well for Celtic, but it's more difficult to play badly in a dominating team than to do well. Armstrong has joined a top league and he's pretty much done zero. If McGregor made the same move he'd probably make the same impact.

I'm not trying to single out these two, as you can add Christie, Bain, Shinnie, O'Donnell, Burke, McNulty, McLean, etc, to the list. The jury is out with McKenna and Bates, I don't think they can play in a flat back four, though, not at this level. I'm convinced by Fraser, Robertson, McTominay, Tierney and Forrest. People aim abuse at Forrest but I think Scotland has never properly utilised him proper, apart from the two final matches of the Nations League.

I don't like saying this. Trust me. I wish all our players were playing for top clubs in top leagues but they don't. We must stop watching McGregor, Burke, et al, run rounds around teams that has no disposable income and fool ourselves into thinking that they're good. They aren't. If they were as good as some people think they are they'd be strutting their stuff with AC Milan, Barcelona or Manchester United rather than Aston Villa, Celtic and Southampton.

No doubt. Darren Fletcher should definitely be brought in. I'd suggest that he's more capable and more competent than McLeish, Grant and McFadden combined. If his name was even considered as manager, I'd take him in a heartbeat. The dedication towards Scotland by Darren Fletcher is probably the most I've seen by a Scotland player in my lifetime, and that was even before his illness, throw in his illness and he's a Scotland legend in my book.

So, are we going to pick our team on what players "have done". Well we're going to have a very short list. Robertson and Fraser definitely make that list. McTominay probably makes that list too, he looked a class above when he came on, can't believe he didn't start either game. Where do we go after that? You can't say McGregor has been great only for Celtic and dismiss him cause of the quality of the league, then say Forrest just hasn't been utilised well for Scotland. For me there's no real difference between the two. The bottom line is having a coach who doesn't know how to utilize his players. Add to that the amount of call offs and retirements we've had in the last 12 months and it's going to lead to another miserable future for the national team.

10 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

So, are we going to pick our team on what players "have done". Well we're going to have a very short list. Robertson and Fraser definitely make that list. McTominay probably makes that list too, he looked a class above when he came on, can't believe he didn't start either game. Where do we go after that? You can't say McGregor has been great only for Celtic and dismiss him cause of the quality of the league, then say Forrest just hasn't been utilised well for Scotland. For me there's no real difference between the two. The bottom line is having a coach who doesn't know how to utilize his players. Add to that the amount of call offs and retirements we've had in the last 12 months and it's going to lead to another miserable future for the national team.

Squabbling about players and even the manager is completely and entirely irrelevant. It's a waste of time.

Simple fact is that the entire structure of Scottish football is not fit for purpose. The powers-that-be have done nothing to aid Scottish football of the Scottish national team for half a decade and now we're seeing the results of that neglect. Simple fact is we lost to a poor Kazakhstan team and we legitimately struggled against the team ranked worst in the world.

I firmly believe that we've never been in a worse situation.

People talk encouragingly about the performance schools but we'll see the first results of the performance schools in the next couple of years. You'll forgive me if I'm cynical.

7 hours ago, RenfrewBlue said:

This evenings performance wasn't shameful. Its exactly what we've done every time we've been to San Marino. 

It may not have been pretty or even competent but it wasn't shameful. 

You’ve been watching the Huns too much.