3 questions I can't answer. - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

3 questions I can't answer.

Third Lanark

1) Why do people like John McGinn play outstandingly well for their clubs yet are shite for us (even when in good club form).

2) How come Wales and NI. get better results than we do consistently with players largely drawn from the same leagues as us? (NI scored 2 goals by Scottish League players).

3) I was always brought up to think that Scots were more patriotic than the English - I remember Billy Bremner giving short shrift to some one asking if he regretted being Scottish. Why has that changed, Yes movement notwithstanding?

22 minutes ago, Third Lanark said:

1) Why do people like John McGinn play outstandingly well for their clubs yet are shite for us (even when in good club form).

2) How come Wales and NI. get better results than we do consistently with players largely drawn from the same leagues as us? (NI scored 2 goals by Scottish League players).

3) I was always brought up to think that Scots were more patriotic than the English - I remember Billy Bremner giving short shrift to some one asking if he regretted being Scottish. Why has that changed, Yes movement notwithstanding?

1) International level is the pinnacle of football. With no disrespect to the English Championship but it's two tiers beneath.

2) Better management and the players from those countries know their jobs and they play to their strengths. Our players simply look like they have no idea what's being asked of them.

3) People can may not like this, but I don't care. Scotland as a nation has been Anglofied. We seem quite happy being a cuckold nation. We're submissive and meek and we have no passion left. England own us. An example, on Friday "STV" showed the England match, and on Tuesday they'll do the same. Not exactly a sign of a nation who loves itself.

27 minutes ago, Chripper said:

1) International level is the pinnacle of football. With no disrespect to the English Championship but it's two tiers beneath.

2) Better management and the players from those countries know their jobs and they play to their strengths. Our players simply look like they have no idea what's being asked of them.

3) People can may not like this, but I don't care. Scotland as a nation has been Anglofied. We seem quite happy being a cuckold nation. We're submissive and meek and we have no passion left. England own us. An example, on Friday "STV" showed the England match, and on Tuesday they'll do the same. Not exactly a sign of a nation who loves itself.

Certainly not totally yet but every generation we get more and more anglofied as you call it.

5 minutes ago, albathebrave said:

Certainly not totally yet but every generation we get more and more anglofied as you call it.

In the 70s and 80s comedians were absolutely petrified of Scottish (Glasgow) audiences as they were notoriously difficult to win over, particularly for English performers. Hell, even Morecambe and Wise admitted to being terrified of the Glasgow audiences. 

But now our audiences are easy to win over. 

The more we're in the Union they more we're turning into England's little brother. 

People might laugh at me for that, and go ahead, but there's something in it. It's symbolic of how we've lost our edge as a nation.

1 hour ago, Third Lanark said:

I'd say the first two could be fixed by good management, and even for the third, management has something to do with apparent lack of commitment/passion, for it's as about managing professionals and instilling pride in their work, playing for the shirt as much as the flag, if you like. I don't think we need to bring a wider sense of patriotism or politics into this. You can be sure that - say - rugby players of all political persuasions play for the jersey with the kind of passion and commitment we seek from our footballers - at least in the right circumstances (they are sometimes abject too!). Good management to bring out the best in them is what we need. 

Edited by exile

The "Glasgow audience" analogy is a pretty good one, the more I think about it.

Consider the 70s and 80s, we had players like Jordan, McQueen, Bremner, Mackay, Souness, etc. It would be reasonable to think that most players would've been intimidated by those players. Now who do we have? Forrest, Armstrong, McGinn and McGregor. They look like a boyband! Not even Kazakhstan players are intimidated by them.

We've gone soft.

17 minutes ago, Chripper said:

The "Glasgow audience" analogy is a pretty good one, the more I think about it.

Consider the 70s and 80s, we had players like Jordan, McQueen, Bremner, Mackay, Souness, etc. It would be reasonable to think that most players would've been intimidated by those players. Now who do we have? Forrest, Armstrong, McGinn and McGregor. They look like a boyband! Not even Kazakhstan players are intimidated by them.

We've gone soft.

Maybe so, but didn't Jordan and McQueen and Souness play in teams with 4 at the back? 

But seriously, do we really wish to rely on teams who are intimidating?  I don't think anyone was complaining about those players when they were winning games for us.  

Edited by exile

Guest ElChris04
2 hours ago, Chripper said:

Can’t be the only one who wants to see England matches removed from being showed on STV? I mean what purpose do they have for Scottish folk Aside the loyalist scum who’d rather boo there own country and support England, I mean aye it’s good seeing them loose but tbh it’s a waste of a time slot and it’s a kick in the teeth imo considering it’s on our own country’s channel and we are showing our rivals and not our own national team.

11 minutes ago, ElChris04 said:

Can’t be the only one who wants to see England matches removed from being showed on STV? I mean what purpose do they have for Scottish folk Aside the loyalist scum who’d rather boo there own country and support England, I mean aye it’s good seeing them loose but tbh it’s a waste of a time slot and it’s a kick in the teeth imo considering it’s on our own country’s channel and we are showing our rivals and not our own national team.

I'd be totally cool with ITV, I mean, STV removing the England matches from their schedule. 

After our previous result I simply couldn't stomach watching football, let alone England. Fine, good for them, they won, but I'm not interested.

Let's face it, though, our schedule of all 5 channels is all English shows and commercials. All we get is news, and that's pretty much it.

I don't even recognize "STV" and "BBC Scotland" as actually things, as they aren't. They're just BBC and ITV with a Thistle sticker on.

Edited by Chripper

Guest ElChris04
1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I'd be totally cool with ITV, I mean, STV removing the England matches from their schedule. 

After our previous result I simply couldn't stomach watching football, let alone England. Fine, good for them, they won, but I'm not interested.

Let's face it, though, our schedule of all 5 channels is all English shows and commercials. All we get is news, and that's pretty much it.

I don't even recognize "STV" and "BBC Scotland" as actually things, as they aren't. They're just BBC and ITV with a Thistle sticker on.

Sad but very true. Both channels take very little ( if any ) identity of being a Scottish channel even the new bbc Scotland channel has English shows on, I don’t want to sound silly but if it’s a Scottish channel it should be Scottish bases programming and none of the English crap we have to put up with, the whole set up is a joke and sadly don’t see it changing anytime soon.

I've no objection to non Scottish programmes on BBC Scotland since if it's  supposed to be a national (not regional) station it should be like any other self confident, self respecting national broadcaster and show some international content. 

But for football we should never prioritise other nations' game, again, no self respecting national broadcaster would. 

1. Our manager is Alex McLeish

2. Our manager is Alex McLeish

3. See the answer to 1 & 2

In all seriousness though, football has changed from Billy Bremner days. Players today will care and show passion if it is good for their bank balance. England have got players falling over themselves to get picked as it boosts their commercial value. Playing for Scotland, under that idiot, away in Kazakhstan, doesn't, so many don't care.

14 hours ago, ghtresa said:

1. Our manager is Alex McLeish

2. Our manager is Alex McLeish

3. See the answer to 1 & 2

In all seriousness though, football has changed from Billy Bremner days. Players today will care and show passion if it is good for their bank balance. England have got players falling over themselves to get picked as it boosts their commercial value. Playing for Scotland, under that idiot, away in Kazakhstan, doesn't, so many don't care.

I don' t think its just about money.  I think a lot of it is also about success.  About eight of the England team the other night could have played for other countries.  They picked England because most of them had been born there or lived there for most of their life.  I suspect for someone like Declan Rice however there's more a chance of getting to major finals and having a sniff of winning one than with the Republic.  If you think you'r emore likely to qualify then you'll pick Scotland and you'll be more likely to turn up.

in answer to Q3 I think decades of failure have lead to low expectations and I think the political situation doesn't help either, we have a massive lack of belief because we're told too wee, too poor, too stupid.

1 hour ago, Likeusinthe90s said:

To be fair Wales currently have players at good clubs

Bale

Ramsey 

Davies

Brooks

Mepham

Hennessey 

All played top level football this season

We also give young players a go.  Average age was 23.5 for outfield players

we have players at top clubs too, they just don't want to play or our manager can't get the best out them

We have had the same problems in the past and will no doubt in the future 

For the first time I can envisage a team without Bale and Ramsey as the youngsters are getting valuable experience.

Only 3 players who started again st Slovakia in 2016 started on Sunday.

Time for your manager to back your young  players if they have ability.