Sign in to follow this  
Eisegerwind

Garden birds, what you got.

Goldfinches have taken over and doing a lot of "fighting". Some sparrows, starlings have disappeared, various members of the crow family that need identified. Magpies also have disappeared , pigeons. Waiting for the reappearance of buzzards.

Put out seeds in the garden and we have 2 sparrow looking birds with yellow a breast who are like clock work, same time each day.

i am really hoping to attract  northern lapwing,these were once common place here now i cant remember the last time i seen one, anyone know the reason for their population collapse?

17 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Put out seeds in the garden and we have 2 sparrow looking birds with yellow a breast who are like clock work, same time each day.

i am really hoping to attract  northern lapwing,these were once common place here now i cant remember the last time i seen one, anyone know the reason for their population collapse?

A peewit,can't remember the last I saw (heard) one, probably around the same time as someone said that's a peewit.

Edited by Eisegerwind

I feed peanuts to the birds, they haven't been salted or anything. The crows love cheese though. Seeds for the smaller ones, although the crows normally peck up the peanuts then the smaller birds come in and hoover up all the wee bits.

Seagulls don't eat nuts though they can get their scran off all the school children dropping the shit they eat at lunch.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

Seagulls don't eat nuts though they can get their scran off all the school children dropping the shit they eat at lunch.

First ice cream cone I ever bought my wee boy was snaffled by a bastirt gull at Kyle of Lochalsh.   Hope it got brain freeze.

Anybody watch yon vet on BBC Scotland supergluing wooden splints to transplant feathers on one?

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I just remembered that they are ground nesting, I guess the loss of  rough, wild ground to cultivated land or building won"t have helped. Think you'll struggle to  attract any to garden surroundings.

On 3/23/2019 at 9:43 PM, Grim Jim said:

In my suburban back garden though, the most surprising bird was a raptor at ground level in the shrubbery. What might that have been?

It was a Golden Eagle. I can tell without even seeing it.;)

1 hour ago, Eisegerwind said:

I just remembered that they are ground nesting, I guess the loss of  rough, wild ground to cultivated land or building won"t have helped. Think you'll struggle to  attract any to garden surroundings.

My back garden faces onto RSPB owned land,its never worked apart from grazing in the winter months, my grandfather always said that the population of the lawpwings never recovered after a local farmer got a grant to break virgin soil post war, he said they never really came back in the same numbers after that, that being said i still remember them being common place in the 80’s

1 hour ago, Orraloon said:

It was a Golden Eagle. I can tell without even seeing it.;)

That photo's gonna turn up some day!

On 3/23/2019 at 9:53 PM, Eisegerwind said:

In the big scheme of things this probably isn't the end of the world, but there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that is profoundly depressing about this story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47627749

That's appalling, think I would be at that with a Stanley knife

47 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Got a lot of crows, but not the fuck off big ones. Little ones, black with black faces but grey heads, could google it but anyone want to contribute.

jackdaws