Garden birds, what you got. - Page 4 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Garden birds, what you got.

10 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

Just got Sparrows nesting in the eaves.Sure I should stop it cause it will end up destroying my roof or giving me cancer or bringing about the end of civilization as we know it or sumthin or nuthin.

How can they make so much noise?   Wee wind bags.

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, aaid said:

See these every day, could watch them for hours  

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-beds-bucks-herts-53445054

Went to see the ones at Agarty last year, they are fantastic to watch.

We regularly get buzzards and a sparrowhawk now and again. It's possible to see sea eagles around the Tay estuary if you get really lucky. They are fukin massive.

If reincarnation is a thing, I think I would like to come back as a bird of prey.

14 minutes ago, Orraloon said:

Went to see the ones at Agarty last year, they are fantastic to watch.

We regularly get buzzards and a sparrowhawk now and again. It's possible to see sea eagles around the Tay estuary if you get really lucky. They are fukin massive.

If reincarnation is a thing, I think I would like to come back as a bird of prey.

We're on the edge of the Chilterns and any time I'm out I'll see at least 6-8 of them, usually in pairs.  As that report alludes to part of the reason they're thriving is that people are putting food out for them.   They don't need to in truth as they're well catered for in terms of live prey but also roadkill.   No natural predators so they're at the top of their foodchain around here.  

5 minutes ago, aaid said:

We're on the edge of the Chilterns and any time I'm out I'll see at least 6-8 of them, usually in pairs.  As that report alludes to part of the reason they're thriving is that people are putting food out for them.   They don't need to in truth as they're well catered for in terms of live prey but also roadkill.   No natural predators so they're at the top of their foodchain around here.  

We get red kites in East Herts as well.  Amazing to see a bird of prey other than a sparrowhawk around where I live.  The best one was a few years back when a kite landed on the school field, absolutely amazing. On the other hand I was gobsmacked the other day to see a greater spotted woodpecker in my suburban back garden. Never ever seen one before.

1 minute ago, Hertsscot said:

We get red kites in East Herts as well.  Amazing to see a bird of prey other than a sparrowhawk around where I live.  The best one was a few years back when a kite landed on the school field, absolutely amazing. On the other hand I was gobsmacked the other day to see a greater spotted woodpecker in my suburban back garden. Never ever seen one before.

Still waiting for a parakeet to turn up.