Garden birds, what you got. - Page 3 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Garden birds, what you got.

19 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Quick google didn't see that, explain please?

Occasionally, a sick or injured western jackdaw is mobbed until it is killed

• 2 weeks later...

I saw an interesting thing in my back garden the other day. Around about 6.30am, there were a couple of birds (blackbirds I think) sat on a wall. I thought they were fighting at first (one had a worm) but the other one tilted its head back & the first one fed it. That's the first time I've ever seen what I assume was a chick being fed. They were about the same size, but the younger one was a lot fatter. Once fed, mum (I assume) flew off to find more food leaving junior sat on the wall patiently, just looking around.

26 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I saw an interesting thing in my back garden the other day. Around about 6.30am, there were a couple of birds (blackbirds I think) sat on a wall.

Sat upon a wall? Probably craws. Was there another nearby rubbing its jaw?

9 hours ago, duncan II said:

Sat upon a wall? Probably craws. Was there another nearby rubbing its jaw?

I only saw the two of them. It's a fairly well-sheltered wall, inside my garden, not exposed & shielded from behind by large shrubs so they probably felt safe enough. I'd have said the adult one looked like a female blackbird but I could be wrong.

10 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I saw an interesting thing in my back garden the other day. Around about 6.30am, there were a couple of birds (blackbirds I think) sat on a wall. I thought they were fighting at first (one had a worm) but the other one tilted its head back & the first one fed it. That's the first time I've ever seen what I assume was a chick being fed. They were about the same size, but the younger one was a lot fatter. Once fed, mum (I assume) flew off to find more food leaving junior sat on the wall patiently, just looking around.

21 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

I only saw the two of them. It's a fairly well-sheltered wall, inside my garden, not exposed & shielded from behind by large shrubs so they probably felt safe enough. I'd have said the adult one looked like a female blackbird but I could be wrong.

The one being fed would be a fledgling with some downy feathers which it was puffing out to make sure the adult bird would take notice of it and feed it. Female blackbirds are brown.

Duncan has whooshed you ' 2 craws sit-in on a wa sittin on a wa', although the jaw rubbing bit is new to me also must be much posher than me.

4 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

The one being fed would be a fledgling with some downy feathers which it was puffing out to make sure the adult bird would take notice of it and feed it. Female blackbirds are brown.

Duncan has whooshed you ' 2 craws sit-in on a wa sittin on a wa', although the jaw rubbing bit is new to me also must be much posher than me.

You live & learn. Not heard that before! I honestly thought that was some weird bird behaviour I should learn about. 🤦‍♂️

3 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

# the second craw fell an broke his jaw, fell an broke his jaw, fell an broke is jaw-aw-aw-aw... # etc

• 2 weeks later...

Not birds I know, but got a mother hedgehog with three hoglets in our garden at the moment.  One of the hoglets had got an elastic band wrapped round it, probably dropped by the postie as they're always leaving them lying around, so I carefully cut the band and removed it.

• 10 months later...

Lot of 'pairing' action at the moment. Working from home get to see a bit more of what goes on. Still just got craws, jackdaws, maggies, sparrows, pigeons/doves, a nice few goldfinches, very briefly saw (I think a sparrowhawk). I'd like to attract a few more species,think I'm a bit too open at the back, ( oo'er missus), or maybe need to provide some different foodstuffs?

I put a nesting box up a few years ago but have never seen a bird anywhere near it.  Noticed a coupl of blue tits constantly in and out of it a couple of days ago, andcpretty much constantly since then so I suspect there must be chicks in it now. 

Loads of Red Kites around where I live.  They were reintroduced a few years back and have thrived since.  It's unusual if you don't see a few if you're outside.  Could watch them all day. 

9 minutes ago, aaid said:

Loads of Red Kites around where I live.  They were reintroduced a few years back and have thrived since.  It's unusual if you don't see a few if you're outside.  Could watch them all day. 

Apparently our lords and masters and lackies are having a field day during lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/15/rspb-flooded-with-reports-of-birds-of-prey-being-killed

Edited by Eisegerwind

3 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

Apparently our lords and masters and lackies are having a field day during lockdown.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2020/may/15/rspb-flooded-with-reports-of-birds-of-prey-being-killed

They don't seem to be under any threat here as there's no reason to.  Tends to be that they're targeted by gamekeepers and grilles who see them as a threat to game birds.  None of that around here, probably why they're thriving so much here as they've no natural predators and they've got plenty to eat.  In fact it's at the other end of the spectrum as a lot of people actively feed them scraps.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Loving the chirp of house martins round here munchin' midgies and greenfly up in the sky.

I'm sad that they no longer nest atop our burglar alarm.   Maybe they got woken up too often 😞

Just got Sparrows nesting in the eaves.Sure I should stop it cause it will end up destroying my roof or giving me cancer or bringing about the end of civilization as we know it or sumthin or nuthin.

7 hours ago, Grim Jim said:

Loving the chirp of house martins round here munchin' midgies and greenfly up in the sky.

I'm sad that they no longer nest atop our burglar alarm.   Maybe they got woken up too often 😞

It must be happy hour.