Garden birds, what you got. - Page 2 - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Garden birds, what you got.

Put out seeds in the garden and we have 2 sparrow looking birds with yellow a breast who are like clock work, same time each day.

i am really hoping to attract  northern lapwing,these were once common place here now i cant remember the last time i seen one, anyone know the reason for their population collapse?

17 minutes ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

Put out seeds in the garden and we have 2 sparrow looking birds with yellow a breast who are like clock work, same time each day.

i am really hoping to attract  northern lapwing,these were once common place here now i cant remember the last time i seen one, anyone know the reason for their population collapse?

A peewit,can't remember the last I saw (heard) one, probably around the same time as someone said that's a peewit.

Edited by Eisegerwind

I feed peanuts to the birds, they haven't been salted or anything. The crows love cheese though. Seeds for the smaller ones, although the crows normally peck up the peanuts then the smaller birds come in and hoover up all the wee bits.

Seagulls don't eat nuts though they can get their scran off all the school children dropping the shit they eat at lunch.

10 minutes ago, phart said:

Seagulls don't eat nuts though they can get their scran off all the school children dropping the shit they eat at lunch.

First ice cream cone I ever bought my wee boy was snaffled by a bastirt gull at Kyle of Lochalsh.   Hope it got brain freeze.

Anybody watch yon vet on BBC Scotland supergluing wooden splints to transplant feathers on one?

12 hours ago, hampden_loon2878 said:

I just remembered that they are ground nesting, I guess the loss of  rough, wild ground to cultivated land or building won"t have helped. Think you'll struggle to  attract any to garden surroundings.

1 hour ago, Eisegerwind said:

I just remembered that they are ground nesting, I guess the loss of  rough, wild ground to cultivated land or building won"t have helped. Think you'll struggle to  attract any to garden surroundings.

My back garden faces onto RSPB owned land,its never worked apart from grazing in the winter months, my grandfather always said that the population of the lawpwings never recovered after a local farmer got a grant to break virgin soil post war, he said they never really came back in the same numbers after that, that being said i still remember them being common place in the 80’s

• 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

They're mistle thrushes.  I like this site for identifying/ comparing birds for anyone that's interested.

https://www.birdid.no/bird/eBook.php?specieID=1238&compareSpecieID=1130

Most redwings and fieldfares will have headed off on their summer holidays by now. Mistle thrushes stay here all year round. In the winter time, you can often see huge flocks of all three mixed in with each other. It can be quite spectacular.

Edited by Orraloon

On 5/5/2019 at 1:33 PM, Orraloon said:

Most redwings and fieldfares will have headed off on their summer holidays by now. Mistle thrushes stay here all year round. In the winter time, you can often see huge flocks of all three mixed in with each other. It can be quite spectacular.

Cheers!  Doing a fridge clearout so chucked a lot of stuff in the garden, f.ck me, big craws know how to deal with half a dozen out of date eggs, quick peck, fuck off, return , repeat, well fed chicks hopefully.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/11/2019 at 10:21 PM, Eisegerwind said:

Cheers!  Doing a fridge clearout so chucked a lot of stuff in the garden, f.ck me, big craws know how to deal with half a dozen out of date eggs, quick peck, fuck off, return , repeat, well fed chicks hopefully.

Nothing new but lots of  fledglings still getting fed by their parents.

Jackdaws are excellent

They are one of the few birds that have great sensitivity to human eye signals and us pointing at things 

They also use euthenasia when one of them is sick or injured

2 minutes ago, Ally Bongo said:

Jackdaws are excellent

They are one of the few birds that have great sensitivity to human eye signals and us pointing at things 

They also use euthenasia when one of them is sick or injured

Quick google didn't see that, explain please?