Garden birds, what you got. - Anything Goes - Other topics not covered elsewhere - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Garden birds, what you got.

14 minutes ago, phart said:

Crows, pigeons , robins, jackdaws, yellow tit, seagull, sparrow random wee birds i don't know the name of.

Might be random to you but to them it's probably a big deal. Yellow tit? yellow hammer probs seen a lot of them on the nal,  hard to judge without pics.

Edited by Eisegerwind

1 hour ago, Eisegerwind said:

Might be random to you but to them it's probably a big deal. Yellow tit? yellow hammer probs seen a lot of them on the nal,  hard to judge without pics.

Great tit most likely.

My neighbor has an overgrown bamboo forest here in Ohio so I'm really lucky for the ole bird-watching.

Cardinals, Red-cockaded woodpecker, American robins, Carolina wrens, Hummingbirds, Flycatchers, Bluejays (cunts) Nighthawks, Waxwings, Finches, Cooper Hawks (although I think people who stand on spiders are cunts there is something enjoyable seeing hawks hunt) I hear owls often but not sure what kind.

I've got quite into this lately (a surefire sign I'm getting old probably). I've started putting up nesting boxes, fat ball & seed feeders & have shot the neighbour's cat.

The seeds have been a big success. I've been getting sparrows, robins, greenfinches, blue tits (what I think was probably a mating pair had a good look at my nesting box & were in & out of it for a morning but probably got a cheaper deal somewhere), great tits, blackbirds, etc. Nothing really unusual yet but they're here in much bigger numbers than I can remember. I have to refill the seed feeder every few days & every time I look at it there's one or two birds around it having a feed.

14 hours ago, Eisegerwind said:

As feynman said about birds and names.

See that bird? It’s a brown-throated thrush, but in Germany it’s called a halzenfugel, and in Chinese they call it a chung ling and even if you know all those names for it, you still know nothing about the bird. You only know something about people; what they call the bird. Now that thrush sings, and teaches its young to fly, and flies so many miles away during the summer across the country, and nobody knows how it finds its way.

I take it a yellow tit isn't meant to be in my garden, fair chance i have misidentified it, It's the crows i find fascinating.

5 hours ago, dandydunn said:

Big bastard seagulls that rule the fucking place. 

They spend the day in bins and chasing dogs about the gardens. 

We have a seagull here that everyone calls shuggie, easily the biggest seagull i've ever seen, it has to run before it can take off. It chaps folks windows with it's beak asking for scran.

You'll be sitting and you hear this chapping at the window go through to the kitchen it's banging it's beak against the window and ou have to open the window and shove the cunt off.

1 hour ago, phart said:

As feynman said about birds and names.

See that bird? It’s a brown-throated thrush, but in Germany it’s called a halzenfugel, and in Chinese they call it a chung ling and even if you know all those names for it, you still know nothing about the bird. You only know something about people; what they call the bird. Now that thrush sings, and teaches its young to fly, and flies so many miles away during the summer across the country, and nobody knows how it finds its way.

I take it a yellow tit isn't meant to be in my garden, fair chance i have misidentified it, It's the crows i find fascinating.

Don't think we have such a thing as a 'yellow tit' in the UK. This is a yellowhammer

http://cambsbirdclub.blogspot.com/2012/05/yellowhammer.html

Edited by Eisegerwind

2 hours ago, phart said:

We have a seagull here that everyone calls shuggie, easily the biggest seagull i've ever seen, it has to run before it can take off. It chaps folks windows with it's beak asking for scran.

You'll be sitting and you hear this chapping at the window go through to the kitchen it's banging it's beak against the window and ou have to open the window and shove the cunt off.

My mate had one like that last year at his flat. It made a helluva noise wanting fed 😂

15 minutes ago, Eisegerwind said:

In the big scheme of things this probably isn't the end of the world, but there is something that I can't quite put my finger on that is profoundly depressing about this story.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-47627749

That's deeply sad...says so much about the modern world.

On a more positive note, although not garden birds, we get quite a few kestrels around here & there seems to be more of them than usual at the moment over the fields. We get a lot of herons as well which I've seen a few of lately. I always think of them as the B52s of the bird world - there's no way one of them should ever get off the ground.

21 minutes ago, Huddersfield said:

On a more positive note, although not garden birds, we get quite a few kestrels around here & there seems to be more of them than usual at the moment over the fields. We get a lot of herons as well which I've seen a few of lately. I always think of them as the B52s of the bird world - there's no way one of them should ever get off the ground.

Herons are even more dramatic than B-52s when they surprisingly take off out the reeds 10 feet in front of you 😃

In my suburban back garden though, the most surprising bird was a raptor at ground level in the shrubbery. What might that have been?

5 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Herons are even more dramatic than B-52s when they surprisingly take off out the reeds 10 feet in front of you 😃

In my suburban back garden though, the most surprising bird was a raptor at ground level in the shrubbery. What might that have been?

I'm no expert really so just a guess, but maybe a kestrel? They are fairly common birds generally speaking. Was it any of these?

http://www.uksafari.com/birdsofprey.htm

3 minutes ago, Grim Jim said:

Buzzards are pretty common I see one out the back every now and then.

https://a-z-animals.com/animals/common-buzzard/ 

Quite stubby with no neck!

2 hours ago, Huddersfield said:

I see an owl once a week when driving home in dark, i'm assuming same ones sits on this pole a few times it flies in front, maybe using my headlight or something no idea.

We even had a parrot in Linlithgow that had escaped and took owner 6 months to catch it again, it just bullied every bird in town, would be sighted all the time.

I'm jealous of those folk that have seen an owl in the wild. I know there's a fair few around here as I can hear them, but I've never in my life seen one.

We have got a pair of magpies appeared the last couple of days - very attractive looking things they are, they look like they own the joint. I'm hoping the two for joy means HTFC won't become the first team to be relegated this year on Saturday.