Anybody Else Worried About Sunday? - Page 3 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Anybody Else Worried About Sunday?

daviebee

17 hours ago, Lairdyfaeinverclyde said:

San Marino 50/1 to win tomorrow. Bookies might be confident i'm concerned. 

50/1 probably accurately reflects San Marino’s chances of wining and would be a mug’s bet.

However, San Marino +2 goals at 24/5 seems like a very tasty bet. Or even +3 goals you’ll get 21/10.

On ‎3‎/‎23‎/‎2019 at 9:59 AM, vanderark14 said:
18 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Saying players should give their all for the country regardless of the coach is naive, you ever worked for a boss that you didn't like and decided I'm going to give my best regardless because I'm doing this for my family, it's a nice thought and hardly it works like that, the Manager and leadership make a difference. 

a good manager can get even average players to perform better or a different approach can get good players to perform better. In an ideal world these players would be self motivated but this isn't an ideal world, its a footballing world where the players will easily down tools and take the huff because they do not like the manager. 

There's recent examples of a good change in management having a great effect on teams, Northern Ireland are performing better than us with arguably worse players, Killie were garbage and now Steve clark has them playing way above what anyone expected. Those are good examples of average sides punching above their weight due to good management. 

Looking back on Thursday's disaster, it wasn't so much they weren't trying, it just seemed everybody was confused.  I don't see how you can suddenly be shite 4-5 days later after playing well/decent for their clubs.#

To me, in football the manager makes the biggest difference.  And most managers are absolutely shocking, that's why the good ones make such a difference.

Like M O'Neil, S.Clarke, N.Lennon at hibs, D.McInnes - they get results way above the talent of the individual players.

So blame lies mostly at McLeish's door, who has seemed rambling and confused from the beginning of his 2nd stint.  I think our players are better than RepIrl, Nir, Isl.

For example:

With Berti faroes Vogts we are absolutely shite. The players can't defend, or create.

Then Walter Smith comes in and with the same crap squad, oh look all of a sudden we can defend.  We still can't create but we at least had a chance. He turned it round overnight with the same players.

Maybe the defensive structure Walter put in was the foundation for our run to 08Euros.  Maybe McLeish's success the first time round was from Walter instilling leadership and confidence into our squad?  Maybe we hired the wrong guy the 2nd time around

20 hours ago, scotlad said:

1-0 to Ireland at the moment, although they really toiled in the first half.  Gibraltar look a lot better than when we last played them.

With that in mind, I'm dreading tomorrow!  :lol:

People always bring Northern Ireland up and point at the so-so SPFL and English Championship players in their squad but when they qualified for the Euros they did so with a spine of EPL players - Evans, McAuley and Davis - and had a centre-forward who could score goals at international level, Kyle Lafferty.  Basically, they had guys playing at a high level of club football who could stop their opponents from scoring and someone at the other end who could get the goals.  

Northern Ireland's spine is now aging though.  They lost all their Nations League fixtures and I can't see them finishing in the top two of their qualifying group this time.

The problem with our personnel is that our so-so SPFL and English Championship players play in defence (Andy Robertson excepted) and up front.  We haven't had a regular, reliable goalscorer since McFadden.  Our better players tend to be midfielders.

Our full fit team can and will look as good as northern Ireland at their height. 

Robertson is more talented than anything they have or had, granted our defenders are extremely raw but the potential is there. 

Mctominey is young but his last full game for man utd saw him play a blinder against one of the worlds elite clubs. He should be starting for us and his club. In front of him there is talent in and potential in McGregor, Christie, fraser, mcginn and forrest.

We need a striker, we had one who is ten times the player lafferty is but hes lost his marbles or something right now.

As I've said, if utilised correctly and managed correctly we have a better team than we are seeing. 

Oh and northern Ireland just beat a team ranked higher than Kazakhstan with their ageing team. Goals were scored by an Aberdeen player and a rangers bench warmer 

In addition to the above, northern Ireland have testicles, they invoked the 5 day rule on lafferty and guess what hes back playing for them.

We had a previous manager who gave the players ready made excuses and mcleish has continued the spineless leadership. 

4 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Maybe the defensive structure Walter put in was the foundation for our run to 08Euros.  Maybe McLeish's success the first time round was from Walter instilling leadership and confidence into our squad?

Almost certainly. He took over a team brimming with confidence and with a clear structure that he didn't need to change. This time round, he's taken over a team that had no clear direction and he's managed to make it worse, IMO.

7 hours ago, jcs said:

Eh ? sorry chipper what do you mean “to little to late”  that just doesn’t make sense, these academies were set up to help improve the players of the future how can it be to late if it’s the future , yes we played pure shite on Thursday, but that isn’t down to the training Academies, that is down to the current manager, you can point the finger at the players if you like but they didn’t pick the team that specky wank with the burst blood vessels on his coupon did, the guys is an arrogant arsehole, the sooner he’s away the better

Other nations were doing this (in a far bigger way) way back in the 80s. The fact that we're doing it now show the SFA that they're pretty much 30 years behind other FAs.

3 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Other nations were doing this (in a far bigger way) way back in the 80s. The fact that we're doing it now show the SFA that they're pretty much 30 years behind other FAs.

That’s as maybe, but your “too little too late” statement is still just silly.

So should we just o nothing forever and give up completely.

You sound like a spoilt wean.

2 minutes ago, Marky said:

That’s as maybe, but your “too little too late” statement is still just silly.

So should we just o nothing forever and give up completely.

You sound like a spoilt wean.

If you think that a few performance schools will eradicate 30, 40, 50  years of incompetence by the powers that be then you're living in a fairytale land.

We should have more indoor facilities, more full sized, and mini training pitches, ala Iceland. We certainly shouldn't have THREE associations within our game. We shouldn't have three divisions with 10 clubs and one division with 12 clubs.

I would go into more detail but I'm getting into crash position as I'm expecting another 90 minutes of complete slog.

You get it.

7 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Our full fit team can and will look as good as northern Ireland at their height. 

Robertson is more talented than anything they have or had, granted our defenders are extremely raw but the potential is there. 

Mctominey is young but his last full game for man utd saw him play a blinder against one of the worlds elite clubs. He should be starting for us and his club. In front of him there is talent in and potential in McGregor, Christie, fraser, mcginn and forrest.

We need a striker, we had one who is ten times the player lafferty is but hes lost his marbles or something right now.

As I've said, if utilised correctly and managed correctly we have a better team than we are seeing. 

Oh and northern Ireland just beat a team ranked higher than Kazakhstan with their ageing team. Goals were scored by an Aberdeen player and a rangers bench warmer 

Robertson is a class act, no question, and I really hope you are right about our young defenders.  At the moment, though, I don't think they are up to par. 

Leigh Griffiths is more talented that Lafferty but the stats don't lie: he's only got four international goals to his name where Lafferty has twenty.  I don't know why that should be - some players just take to international football while others struggle - look at Brian McClair, who was probably a better player again but for some reason struggled to score goals at international level.

I agree that we should be better than we are, even with our deficiencies in defence and attack; but until either one or the other (preferably both) improve significantly I don't think we're going to make progress.  And by making progress I mean actually coming close to qualifying for something.

Northern Ireland have just played - and won - what should be their two easiest games.  Fair play to them for that.  I still think their current pool of players has peaked though and I don't expect them to finish in the top two in their group.

11 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Leigh Griffiths is more talented that Lafferty but the stats don't lie: he's only got four international goals to his name where Lafferty has twenty.  I don't know why that should be - some players just take to international football while others struggle - look at Brian McClair, who was probably a better player again but for some reason struggled to score goals at international level.

Apart from the obvious (Lafferty is 31, been in the National Team for 13 years and has 70 appearances) (Griffiths is 28, been in the National Team for 7 years and has 19 appearances) both are completely different players in style and more importantly build.

Lafferty is a strong running battering ram type of forward and is suited to playing up front on his own with little support

Griffiths isnt

21 hours ago, Ally Bongo said:

Apart from the obvious (Lafferty is 31, been in the National Team for 13 years and has 70 appearances) (Griffiths is 28, been in the National Team for 7 years and has 19 appearances) both are completely different players in style and more importantly build.

Lafferty is a strong running battering ram type of forward and is suited to playing up front on his own with little support

Griffiths isnt

The point I was trying to make is that we don't have a regular goalscorer - of whatever type.  Another poster brought Leigh Griffiths into the conversation.