McLeish backers - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

McLeish backers

weekevie04

Not to vilify or anything, but seen a few posters saying there are folk on here who are actually backing McLeish.  Do these people still exist?

Genuinely interested in why you are still behind him and I promise I won't get uppity or angry. Just fascinated how anyone could still be back his management of the team.

This my not be directed at the likes of me, but I feel compelled to say a few things - I was positive when he was appointed, and was pleased with the opportunity given to the youth.  The things that I have never been on board with was his choice of coaching staff, I know nothing about Peter Grant, being honest whenever I have seen him speak I don't have any issue with what he has said, but McFadden's appointment has puzzled me and being cynical I took that as a vanity appointment to appease us fans. Things that have concerned me are his apparent lack of commitment to the teams formation, inability to make changes during a game - seemingly worse than Strachan was and his inability to project confidence to the press, and my assumption is he is the same way with the players.  I was feeling extremely confident up until whenever the squad was announced and then observing how the call off's were handled - Steven Fletcher mismanagement(again assumption) and I don't fully excuse Fletcher especially after hearing Levein talk in the Hampden Roar - it takes a real man to say your sorry and make peace and sitting there saying, nope he can reach out to me is not something that I can respect.  So regardless this is about McLeish, after the Nations league and being honest, McGregor got us that top spot with that fantastic save I was feeling hey things are looking good, however there is one thing the coach can't do and that is create players, this week has shown me how fragile our national pool actually is. 

I liked McLeish first time around. He should have stayed. That was his first mistake. Instead he totally cashed out first chance he got after doing well with us.

Then 10 years later tail between legs he comes back after he can’t get a job anywhere else... so not hard to see why it is a meh fuck him now attitude.

He should never have come back. Got the job on a old pals routine.

He is absolutely part of that cosy rank-closing cabal of Scottish footballers on Scottish TV who all see Scotland fans as mugs while never saying it out loud.

1 hour ago, thplinth said:

I liked McLeish first time around. He should have stayed. That was his first mistake. Instead he totally cashed out first chance he got after doing well with us.

Then 10 years later tail between legs he comes back after he can’t get a job anywhere else... so not hard to see why it is a meh fuck him now attitude.

He should never have come back. Got the job on a old pals routine.

He is absolutely part of that cosy rank-closing cabal of Scottish footballers on Scottish TV who all see Scotland fans as mugs while never saying it out loud.

Agree with every word.  I was gutted when he left the first time as, despite the ultimate disappointment against Italy, it felt like we were ready to start qualifying again.  We had a settled team and a manager getting the best out of them.

He chose Birmingham City. Birmingham fucking City.

His career has been on a downward spiral since then and his stock was so low when we appointed him that he didn't deserve to be offered the job, even if he hadn't already walked out on us in the past.

What is worrying is that he does not look well.  This is a high pressured job - expectation are high - much higher than they should be considering the players we have available and the lack of commitment a lot of our players have to the national team.  It cannot be doing him any good.

I felt that Strachan had to go.  Whilst it was largely positive under him, he was too loyal to players and behind the curve with bringing in the players he needed to which was frustrating when we fell just short time and time again.  However, if I know McLeish was to follow, I'd have kept Strachan.

two different times, stage 1 as manager and stage 2. IMO he got Lucky in Albania when injuries made his team selection and formation up for him, nevertheless a good manager needs to have a certain degree of luck. On his credit side he did keep the momentum going against Israel at Hampden an that match should have been well won before McGregor's save.All that goodwill disappeared  with the call offs and formation against Kazakhstan and it is going to be difficult to bring it back.

His first time in charge was superb, Paris, home to Ukraine and only the Georgia match as the big killer. But third only behind France and Italy. Bite the hand of for that kind of performance now.

12 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Agree with every word.  I was gutted when he left the first time as, despite the ultimate disappointment against Italy, it felt like we were ready to start qualifying again.  We had a settled team and a manager getting the best out of them.

A bit random but one thing I remember from November 2007 when he fecked off to Birmingham that really boiled my piss was a few kunts on Sportsound saying "I don't begrudge him leaving, he did a great job and I hope it all works out down South", "Och I wish him all the best at Birmingham, he deserves a shot at the Premier League." Can't remember who it was though.

16 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

His career has been on a downward spiral since then and his stock was so low when we appointed him that he didn't deserve to be offered the job, even if he hadn't already walked out on us in the past.

What is worrying is that he does not look well.  This is a high pressured job - expectation are high - much higher than they should be considering the players we have available and the lack of commitment a lot of our players have to the national team.  It cannot be doing him any good.

I felt that Strachan had to go.  Whilst it was largely positive under him, he was too loyal to players and behind the curve with bringing in the players he needed to which was frustrating when we fell just short time and time again.  However, if I know McLeish was to follow, I'd have kept Strachan.

Agreed, he doesn't look or even sound well sometimes. I hope he isn't I'll but its bizarre how sounds so different to the first stint he had as manager.

58 minutes ago, PASTA Mick said:

Interesting comparison is Chris Coleman, leaving high-flying Wales for Sunderland (at the arse end of the Championship at the time compared to Birmingham who I think were in the EPL when McLeish went there).

Hard to fathom both decisions. In McLeish's defence, at least it was at the end of a campaign. It was a 'clean' time to leave as opposed to that w*nk Walter Smith who went scampering back to Ibrox 4 games into the qualifying.

Edited by Rude Gullit

I don't mind people still backing McLeish. The thing that really gets my goat is the people who keep saying that we have a strong midfield.

There's countless posts in this place of people saying that McGregor, Christie, Armstrong and McGinn are great midfielders. I even read a post before the Kazakhstan match that "Our midfield will boss the game". No, they are not great and the only teams they can boss are amateur players.. These players are untried at the highest level, and in the case of Armstrong he can't break into a poor Southampton team.

The only midfielder in our entire pool that I rate is McTominay.

If McGregor, Christie, Armstrong and McGinn were at Manchester United they would not get a sniff of a game, they might not even get into their under 23's.

So yes, our central midfield has never looked worse.

3 minutes ago, exile said:

The only person I have seen supporting him staying is Craig Brown.

Not sure what his TAMB username is though, I guess he's been prioritising press calls. 

Broon likes to be "Mr Nice Guy" and sits on the fence these days. McLeish could lose to San Marino and Brown would probably still say "we need to give him more time".

15 hours ago, ErsatzThistle said:

"He deserves a chance because he right guid Scotsman" - Daily Record reader

"We should keep him on because he's my auld pal that I play golf with" - former teammates and friendly journalists

Aye, pretty much.

Just listened to the Sportsound podcast. Of course Willie Miller is backing him. 

Tom English was spot on and Neil McCann was somewhere in the middle.