Next Manager? - Page 12 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Manager?

JECK

On 3/25/2019 at 9:58 PM, dandydunn said:

Ive said it on another thread. 

Vogts was the last Scotland manager to take us through a full qualifying group then into playoffs. 

He has been the only semi successful manager since Brown. 

He did but we finished 2nd in a group with relatively poor Germany, Iceland (when they were crap), Lithuania and Faroe Islands.  

We'd have won the group if we'd taken 6 points off Lithuania and Faroe Islands.  

We've not had a group anywhere near as weak as that group was since.  So while the facts show he got us to a play-off, it doesn't tell the whole story.  

He also killed our WC2006 chances after 3 games as we picked up 2 points in home 2 home games against Slovenia and Norway and away in Moldova (a result to rival Kazakhstan).  

On 3/26/2019 at 11:12 AM, ceudmilefailte said:

Scott Gemmill is the obvious choice, but no one will agree as he is part of the SFA establishment.

His record with the under,s is good, he knows the players and understands international football.

At least we can be pretty sure he would take the job.

I wouldn't be against Scot Gemmill.  He has done quite well at youth level.  There are a few results which worry me but accept that he often has his best players moved up an age group much more often that the stronger nations will do.  He was the manager that took the u17s to the semi-finals of the 2014 UEFA European Under-17 Championship.

1 hour ago, Parklife said:

He inherited the best team in England at Man Utd. His successor inherited the 7th best. Kinda daft not to put the context to it.

Come on now you and I both know the team Fergie left behind were done. If he had left behind a team in their prime then fair enough but there was a massive rebuilding job needing done at Man Utd which is still ongoing now

28 minutes ago, bazmidd said:

Come on now you and I both know the team Fergie left behind were done. If he had left behind a team in their prime then fair enough but there was a massive rebuilding job needing done at Man Utd which is still ongoing now

They won the league by 11 points and got one of the best totals in history. You try re-write history if you want, in order to defend David Moyes on an internet forum.

I'll just look at the facts.

Choose whatever manager you want and it won't change the path we are on. Scottish manager or European manager/successful at club level or success at international level we have had them all since 1998 and all have failed. Time to look at the facts that the players quality and attitudes should be questioned just as much if not more than the question of the managers. When we stop sticking our heads in the sand and realize we lack in-depth quality players with mental strength to succeed we shall continue to stumble along blindly. Sure we have the odd oasis like Andrew Robertson but one man does not make a qualifying team.

7 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

Choose whatever manager you want and it won't change the path we are on. Scottish manager or European manager/successful at club level or success at international level we have had them all since 1998 and all have failed. Time to look at the facts that the players quality and attitudes should be questioned just as much if not more than the question of the managers. When we stop sticking our heads in the sand and realize we lack in-depth quality players with mental strength to succeed we shall continue to stumble along blindly. Sure we have the odd oasis like Andrew Robertson but one man does not make a qualifying team.

Maybe so but we shouldn't be getting beat off Kazakhstan 3 nil. We have a lower standard of player than the 80s and 90s but we still have enough players playing at a good level to get second in this group or at least challenge for second. Get a good manager and we should be achieving better results.

1 minute ago, mccaughey85 said:

Maybe so but we shouldn't be getting beat off Kazakhstan 3 nil. We have a lower standard of player than the 80s and 90s but we still have enough players playing at a good level to get second in this group or at least challenge for second. Get a good manager and we should be achieving better results.

I think the end product will still be the same sadly. Jeez we had Berti Vogts who had success at international level as a manager and he couldn't polish a turd either.

Just now, Caledonian Craig said:

I think the end product will still be the same sadly. Jeez we had Berti Vogts who had success at international level as a manager and he couldn't polish a turd either.

Vogts wasn't a good manager, he had a strong team in Germany and most coaches should do well with Germany. Looking at his record in management bar Germany and it's pretty poor. We need someone who can set us up well and play to our strengths, somebody who clearly isn't mentally well is not good enough. 

Vogts wasn't a good manager, he had a strong team in Germany and most coaches should do well with Germany. Looking at his record in management bar Germany and it's pretty poor. We need someone who can set us up well and play to our strengths, somebody who clearly isn't mentally well is not good enough. 

I refuse to accept that every manager we have had since 1998 have been a bunch of gross incompetents. One or two perhaps but not every one. That leads me to question the players available and their mentality and quality in depth. It just ain't there. Sure get rid of McLeish but I won't be kidding myself that all will be well thereafter.

5 minutes ago, Caledonian Craig said:

I refuse to accept that every manager we have had since 1998 have been a bunch of gross incompetents. One or two perhaps but not every one. That leads me to question the players available and their mentality and quality in depth. It just ain't there. Sure get rid of McLeish but I won't be kidding myself that all will be well thereafter.

Walter Smith and McLeish the first time round were good managers who did very well in a hard group. I was happy with results they got and was happy with their performances as manager. I was also happy with the overall performance of Gordon Strachan albeit he did have a middle period where we were very poor. So i have been happy with 3 of our Managers since Craig brown. Considering we never qualified for any tournaments then I would say being happy with the performance of 3 our managers is not bad. My expectations are not high but I expect us to be able to beat Kazakhstan. Israel away was a real disaster as well and San Marino was very laboured. We need better performances v shite teams and the success of ni, roi and Iceland shows that with good management u can do reasonably well.

Walter Smith and McLeish the first time round were good managers who did very well in a hard group. I was happy with results they got and was happy with their performances as manager. I was also happy with the overall performance of Gordon Strachan albeit he did have a middle period where we were very poor. So i have been happy with 3 of our Managers since Craig brown. Considering we never qualified for any tournaments then I would say being happy with the performance of 3 our managers is not bad. My expectations are not high but I expect us to be able to beat Kazakhstan. Israel away was a real disaster as well and San Marino was very laboured. We need better performances v shite teams and the success of ni, roi and Iceland shows that with good management u can do reasonably well.

One thing as well to bear in mind. It is not well-educated football fans or figures choosing the next manager - it is the SFA committee. That fills me with sub-zero confidence.