Next Manager? - Page 9 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Manager?

JECK

8 minutes ago, magicTs said:

He is very impressive in this piece and without doubt could call upon Sir Alex whenever he wanted to. I would be slightly more aggressive and ask him to involve Sir Alex in any capacity he wishes whoever it suits either of them. Even having him along to training or on a match day would boost the entire setup and squad.

Top notch! 👍

47 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

My choice not that anybody cares would be Super Ally.  International Experience 60 plus caps scored in a competition against switzerland, assistant manager to walter smith when they reached a euro final. Golden boot winner twice, still very aware of players in all leagues due to t.v commitments. If we had him against khazikstan mcgregor would have been involved and defence would have been more organised and Halliday would have come in at left back he had a blinder against Celtic and has been doing well in that position. He has also worked under Souness, Craig Brown etc. More than likely has back room would be strong not wee guys like Fuddy.

I hear a lot of talksport in my office and listening to ally mccoist talk is sickening, hes such a suck up, Especially when they talk about England. He and Alan Brazil are an embarrassment to Scotland 

9 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

Super Ally as Manager with Fletcher for his midfield knowledge goalie coach McGregor and defensive coach Davie Weir. Perfect. As for Ally being brutal canny be any worse than last three managers.

Who knows if McCoist would be any better but the argument that he (or anyone else for that matter) should be in the running for the job because "he canny be any worse than the last three managers" is as laughable as it is embarrassing. The last thing we need is yet another sycophantic individual with Old Firm ties who has had virtually zero managerial success. Its this type of narrow minded thinking, lacking in any ambition and vision that has got us to the place we are now, possibly the lowest ebb in our countries footballing history. Ally McCoist, cheeky chappy though he is will never be the person to revitalise and reinvigorate the team, he would just be yet another substandard appointment. 

44 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:
1 hour ago, bigfathagiz said:

My choice not that anybody cares would be Super Ally.  International Experience 60 plus caps scored in a competition against switzerland, assistant manager to walter smith when they reached a euro final. Golden boot winner twice, still very aware of players in all leagues due to t.v commitments. If we had him against khazikstan mcgregor would have been involved and defence would have been more organised and Halliday would have come in at left back he had a blinder against Celtic and has been doing well in that position. He has also worked under Souness, Craig Brown etc. More than likely has back room would be strong not wee guys like Fuddy.

I hear a lot of talksport in my office and listening to ally mccoist talk is sickening, hes such a suck up, Especially when they talk about England. He and Alan Brazil are an embarrassment to Scotland 

Agree that coistys and brazils chat about ingliterra, it is embarrassing and feels slightly traitorish.  But it is an interesting combo that management team.

I mean you've got probably our best striker from the last 30. and out best defender and goalkeeper of the last 20.  Fletch is right up there too after barry ferguson.

They should be able to organise a team and coach really well, you would think, bit inexperienced though.

Which Scottish manager's are currently working at the highest levels??

I guess it's Derek McInnes at Aberdeen.  Am I wrong?

So the list of managers would go in descending order

McInnes 

Clarke

Levein

They are all excellent club managers in my opinion and we have only tried one of them.  So for me McInnes or Clarke for the top job.

But shit......I mean 10 years (is it that long) ago we had Scottish managers at the old firm, and a whole bunch in the overpaid journeyman league too.

1 hour ago, magicTs said:

He is very impressive in this piece and without doubt could call upon Sir Alex whenever he wanted to. I would be slightly more aggressive and ask him to involve Sir Alex in any capacity he wishes whoever it suits either of them. Even having him along to training or on a match day would boost the entire setup and squad.

I challenge anybody to watch that video and say that Darren Fletcher wouldnt inspire players and fans alike. He earned the trust of the greatest manager of all time and he understands the game of football.

He would have ran through brick walls for Utd and Scotland and I have no doubt players would do the same for him. 

Guys like Clarke and McInnes would certainly be a step up from McLeish but who would inspire players more? Them or Fletcher. 

Get him in with some decent coaches to run the drills and maybe somebody to provide some experience like a Joe Jordan or another assistant who has been there and done it.

If we were going to take the risk of appointing Fletcher, then this could be the best time to do it. No one is expecting us to qualify, he has a few games to learn the ropes, and if he is a disaster we can bring in someone new for the playoffs, and we'd still be no worse than grinding on to the bitter end with McLeish.  A possible downside would be if it doesn't work out it could prematurely end his managerial career.

OK now who else. No one is talking of David Moyes. He was once a great hopeful, when at Everton, considered probably too high flying to manage Scotland. Now I have not been following much of his career lately, but how did he actually do after Man U? He at least had the initiative and open mindedness to take a job in Spain, and if I recall he didn't do too badly at West Ham, though ultimately not good enough. I know some people thought he was a bit old school, and anyway a bit cautious, but then again, he seemed to manage pretty well on limited supply. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he'd be in my own top 6 choice, but just asking, as hadn't heard latest views. How can you tell if a manager is worth a second chance? Steve Clarke for example? (John Collins??) 

Personally would like us to go outwith Scotland with this appointment and think about getting someone in who can organise us at the back while understanding how to get the best players out on the park.

If money was no object, I'd love to see the SFA have the ambition to go for Lars Lagerback from the Norwegian national team. But that won't happen.

Again if money was no object, I'd happily do a deal with the devil and stomach a Sam Allardyce appointment to sort us out defensively.

Alternatively, Andreas Herzog at Israel or Vladimir Weiss at Georgia are building relatively impressive bodies of work that would have them under some consideration.

If we are to go down the Scottish route, my backing would be for Steve Clarke. He's a wonderful manager who fits the organiser bracket. Darren Fletcher would be very risky but he is certainly articulate and inspiring to listen to. He would require some experience alongside him.

So we will end up with a lazy appointment like David Moyes, if they bother to sack Alex McLeish at all.

6 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Personally would like us to go outwith Scotland with this appointment and think about getting someone in who can organise us at the back while understanding how to get the best players out on the park.

If money was no object, I'd love to see the SFA have the ambition to go for Lars Lagerback from the Norwegian national team. But that won't happen.

Again if money was no object, I'd happily do a deal with the devil and stomach a Sam Allardyce appointment to sort us out defensively.

Alternatively, Andreas Herzog at Israel or Vladimir Weiss at Georgia are building relatively impressive bodies of work that would have them under some consideration.

If we are to go down the Scottish route, my backing would be for Steve Clarke. He's a wonderful manager who fits the organiser bracket. Darren Fletcher would be very risky but he is certainly articulate and inspiring to listen to. He would require some experience alongside him.

get outta here for trolling

6 minutes ago, BucksburnDandy said:

So we will end up with a lazy appointment like David Moyes, if they bother to sack Alex McLeish at all.

Heard something on radio as if Moyes says he would like the Scotland job some time but not now as he still wants to be in the club game. Not sure the exact quote. But it does not give the best impression, implies he wants to be considered but only at a time of his choosing. Like, only when he's past his sell by date and can't get any other job. Or maybe he was simply respecting that there is no vacancy?

Absolutely would be up for Fletcher as manager.... the ultimate professional who has played under one of the greatest football managers that has ever lived, always presents himself well and would command the respect of the players....and above all HE IS A WINNER! 

Edited by SWMM82

I think following the Southgate route with fletcher would be the better option. Try to get him in managing the younger teams. Build some experience and step him up in 4yrs. 

I think it's, understandable, desperation that's making us reach out for fletcher now. He has all the makings of a great manager. But need to help him build experience first and set him up for success rather than taking a hit and hope.

All the names that have been routinely mentioned all sound more than good enough, as are the players, to get us to the euros - IF we replace MacLeish now. If we leave it until the last kick to sack him the rage/apathy towards the national team and SFA will be apocalyptic for a decade. 

Failing to qualify for a major tournament where you have home games is unforgivable. 

Edited by Morrisandmoo

13 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

I think following the Southgate route with fletcher would be the better option. Try to get him in managing the younger teams. Build some experience and step him up in 4yrs. 

I think it's, understandable, desperation that's making us reach out for fletcher now. He has all the makings of a great manager. But need to help him build experience first and set him up for success rather than taking a hit and hope.

All the names that have been routinely mentioned all sound more than good enough, as are the players, to get us to the euros - IF we replace MacLeish now. If we leave it until the last kick to sack him the rage/apathy towards the national team and SFA will be apocalyptic for a decade. 

Failing to qualify for a major tournament where you have home games is unforgivable. 

Would you consider Scott Gemmill as National manager? 

1 hour ago, exile said:

Heard something on radio as if Moyes says he would like the Scotland job some time but not now as he still wants to be in the club game.

Moyes has previous for saying exactly that. He isn't snowed under with job offers, though. I see him as Eck 2.

I'd be happy with Clarke, I'd be happy with any respected foreign manager we could kidnap, drug and hypnotise into wanting to take the job and I must admit the DazFletch + Backup option is intriguing.

But McCoist? Forget it.

41 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Is anyone else warming to the idea of Paul dickov?

Think id take anyone but he’s not managed since 2015 and only had jobs with oldham and Doncaster.

If Graham Alexander could manage at a higher level he could be worth keeping an eye on. 

1 hour ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Yes. I'd also consider Shelley Kerr if we tragically kept McCleish until the end of the summer. 

I would too, he’s been working with with the age groups for a few years now and knows the players coming through. I actually thought the game we played with Malky Mackay in charge was refreshing and we played some good attractive football.