Next Manager? - Page 8 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Manager?

JECK

Cant believe people are opposing the idea of a young former player taking on the managers job. As someone said the ones in the "SFA system", McLeish, Mackay, Stark" are so past their sell by date that you need the digits 19 at the start of when they were actually employable.

We are not going to get anyone who is on an upwardly trend with  a team like Preston or Sunderland  ( or even Newcastle, Benitez?? I did laugh at that one ) so that leaves us with the Wales ( Giggs, Hughes) Germany, Klinnsman, Low)  route. It may or may not work but can seriously be worse than we have ( or the other options ) now. i doubt it.

1 hour ago, Burj_Alba said:

Cant believe people are opposing the idea of a young former player taking on the managers job. As someone said the ones in the "SFA system", McLeish, Mackay, Stark" are so past their sell by date that you need the digits 19 at the start of when they were actually employable.

We are not going to get anyone who is on an upwardly trend with  a team like Preston or Sunderland  ( or even Newcastle, Benitez?? I did laugh at that one ) so that leaves us with the Wales ( Giggs, Hughes) Germany, Klinnsman, Low)  route. It may or may not work but can seriously be worse than we have ( or the other options ) now. i doubt it.

I can't believe people support the idea of giving a guy with no coaching experience the job. Genuine question, but is he even interested in coaching/management, does he have his coaching badges? The only reason it's not laughable is that I'd rather see that happen than have McLeish manage one more single game.

26 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

I can't believe people support the idea of giving a guy with no coaching experience the job. Genuine question, but is he even interested in coaching/management, does he have his coaching badges? The only reason it's not laughable is that I'd rather see that happen than have McLeish manage one more single game.

Indeed, note I didn't mention Fletcher by name but someone who wants into coaching and said / did all the right things previously.

Having drive, enthusiasm and new ideas are already three things better than the current regime. If they players respond then there is another one.

If not Fletcher then someone else, we could get lucky. Thing about this is if the person made a success of it we would surely lose him to club football but with a bit of success. What is Charlie Adam doing these days? 🤣🤣🤣

For me the next appointment has to be a significant one which raises the spirit of a whole nation. I do not think Steve Clarke, despite being a very good manager, is the man to do this.

The majority of Scottish managers seem to be of the opinion that we are not good enough, too small, to wee etc etc etc. This type of mentality has got to be knocked on the head once and for all.

Jurgen Klinsmann would be my choice, he is a proven international manager. Maybe Darren Fletcher or Paul Lambert as his no. 2.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

Yeah coz the approach of appointing “established” managers has worked so well. 

Well then give me the job. No? Why, cos I've never managed a day in my life? Same as Fletcher.

McLeish - unemployed for 2 years
Strachan - unemployed for 3 years
Levein - Did well at Dundee Utd
Burley - Did well at Southampton (in the Championship)
McLeish - unemployed for 6 months
Smith - unemployed for 2.5 years - but the last manager we had who's actually managed at a good level.

Just getting in any current unemployed Scottish person, or someone that's done ok at a not particularly great level of football is what has failed. We've gone for the cheap option every time one has been available.

Ok, Vogts didn't work out, but we've tried a foreign manager with a good record once, and cos it's failed we've cast it aside as an idea and repeatedly gone for a cheap Scotsman who wasn't up to the task. I'd like to see us look for the best candidate, instead od just getting in yet another cheap Scot who can't get a job anywhere else.

Slaven Bilic, Peter Stoger, Gus Poyet.
Good managers with decent records, without being top tier, super expensive options.

1 hour ago, Daz1982 said:

Jurgen Klinsmann would be my choice, he is a proven international manager. Maybe Darren Fletcher or Paul Lambert as his no. 2.

Fuck me. 

Paul Lambert, seriously? The worst manager ever, the walking talking suicide enducing fucker. 

Edited by kumnio

32 minutes ago, andyD said:

Ok, Vogts didn't work out, but we've tried a foreign manager with a good record once, and cos it's failed we've cast it aside as an idea and repeatedly gone for a cheap Scotsman who wasn't up to the task. I'd like to see us look for the best candidate, instead od just getting in yet another cheap Scot who can't get a job anywhere else.

Considering that Vogts had to basically build a squad from scratch and got to a play off and also the fact that barring one good campaign in the last 20 yrs, we've been gash, was it really that much of a failure? 

16 minutes ago, stevenmcn said:

Considering that Vogts had to basically build a squad from scratch and got to a play off and also the fact that barring one good campaign in the last 20 yrs, we've been gash, was it really that much of a failure? 

I still remember the game where our starting midfield came over to the touchline during a break in play, about 20 minutes in, and seemed to be trying to establish who was supposed to be playing where.

It was 'successful' given that there seemed to be a significant communication problem between Vogts and the players.

i definetly do not want steve clarke. yes hes done ok with Kilmarnock but that is all. craig levein got job coz he done ok with hearts. we need someone who would get instant respect either from his playing career or management. steve clarke imo has none. i like the idea of darren fletcher with 1 experienced coach and 1 young up and coming full of new ideas coach. no bigger a risk than anyone else. we have done hee haw for 20 years with sometimes so called safe hands appointments. its stale . boring and totally crap being scottish  at the minute and only a new manager who can excite us will change it.

1 hour ago, gaz7 said:

i definetly do not want steve clarke. yes hes done ok with Kilmarnock but that is all. craig levein got job coz he done ok with hearts. we need someone who would get instant respect either from his playing career or management. steve clarke imo has none. i like the idea of darren fletcher with 1 experienced coach and 1 young up and coming full of new ideas coach. no bigger a risk than anyone else. we have done hee haw for 20 years with sometimes so called safe hands appointments. its stale . boring and totally crap being scottish  at the minute and only a new manager who can excite us will change 

I'm not against fletcher being a coach of some capacity with Scotland but why would he command more respect than two Scottish legends of the game in mcleish and Strachan? 

Fletcher has no respect as a coach because he hasn't been one so i assume you think his playing days would command that respect. 

Let's be honest, fletcher is definitely saying the right things on TV but that means nothing. 

One person I dont want is Strachan, I dont think he treats the job with enough respect and hes always got some shite excuse ready for when a bad result comes along 

The sfa are not going to be paying compensation to any club to secure a manager. They'll go for someone on the cheap as per usual. The offered the job to Michael O'Neill with less money than he's on at NI. Then they went with McLeish and gave him the same money Strachan was on. It was an auld pals act that got him the job, because it was definitely not what McLeish had done within his club spells. If Steve Clarke resigns from Kilmarnock in the summer then he'll be appointed. He's taken a completely average group of players and made them hard to beat, organised and capable of beating anyone in the league. 

The support always criticise the SFA for being stuck in their ways and not being forward thinking yet the suggestion that an inexperienced ex-player should be given a chance as manager has some running for the hills.

International management is about a few things.

1) Respect of the current players and the clubs they play for.

2) The ability to pick the best players for a squad

3) Getting a starting 11 organised and setup different ways depending on the opposition

4) Very basic amounts of actual coaching for a few days per year.

You do not need years of managerial experience for any of these things. 

1) Fletcher us by far and away our most successful player this century and can lean upon his mentor for advice and influence should he need it. Ferguson doesnt need to be involved in an official capacity. We all know he wont be but as he has shown at club level, he is one hell of a number to have on your phone.

2 and 3) About 20 players in any given Scotland squad pick themselves. Same for the starting 11. Fletcher was one of the most disciplined players for Man Utd, carrying out specific instructions in the biggest of games. He knows the game of football at a higher level than any manager we could ever dream of getting.

4) Bring in a more experienced person as assistant and a couple of good coaches to run the sessions as Fletcher oversees.

If its good enough for the likes of Germany the  why not us. 

We will never attract an established manager with the wages we offer. So the alternative is managers nobody else wants or medium level ones like Levein or Burley. The likes of McInnes and Clarke arent any better thought of than the above 2 at the time of their appointments.

7 hours ago, andyD said:

Well then give me the job. No? Why, cos I've never managed a day in my life? Same as Fletcher.

McLeish - unemployed for 2 years
Strachan - unemployed for 3 years
Levein - Did well at Dundee Utd
Burley - Did well at Southampton (in the Championship)
McLeish - unemployed for 6 months
Smith - unemployed for 2.5 years - but the last manager we had who's actually managed at a good level.

Just getting in any current unemployed Scottish person, or someone that's done ok at a not particularly great level of football is what has failed. We've gone for the cheap option every time one has been available.

Slaven Bilic, Peter Stoger, Gus Poyet.
Good managers with decent records, without being top tier, super expensive options.

Ive said it on another thread. 

Vogts was the last Scotland manager to take us through a full qualifying group then into playoffs. 

He has been the only semi successful manager since Brown. 

5 hours ago, Bobby Russell's Lovechild said:

Not sure why this is being talked about so much. McLeish is not going anywhere, even though we (and the SFA) know there will be a terrible turnout for Cyprus game, followed by the inevitable battering by Belgium. The Nation's League really has bought him an extra few lives

Unfortunately, you are right about this.  Why speculate when we all know McLeish is going nowhere.

I'll be at Cyprus game so hopefully our best players turn up and negate the disorganised chaos from our coaching team.

Then the inevitable 0-2 thrashing by Belgium.  The sfa will think that's expected so Mcleish will be here until at least October. 

12 hours ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Unfortunately, you are right about this.  Why speculate when we all know McLeish is going nowhere.

I'll be at Cyprus game so hopefully our best players turn up and negate the disorganised chaos from our coaching team.

Then the inevitable 0-2 thrashing by Belgium.  The sfa will think that's expected so Mcleish will be here until at least October. 

2-0 in Belgium?  Seriously?  And what about the next 85 minutes?

20 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

The support always criticise the SFA for being stuck in their ways and not being forward thinking yet the suggestion that an inexperienced ex-player should be given a chance as manager has some running for the hills.

3) Getting a starting 11 organised and setup different ways depending on the opposition

1) Fletcher us by far and away our most successful player this century and can lean upon his mentor for advice and influence should he need it. Ferguson doesnt need to be involved in an official capacity. We all know he wont be but as he has shown at club level, he is one hell of a number to have on your phone.

2 and 3) About 20 players in any given Scotland squad pick themselves. Same for the starting 11. Fletcher was one of the most disciplined players for Man Utd, carrying out specific instructions in the biggest of games. He knows the game of football at a higher level than any manager we could ever dream of getting.

4) Bring in a more experienced person as assistant and a couple of good coaches to run the sessions as Fletcher oversees.

We will never attract an established manager with the wages we offer. So the alternative is managers nobody else wants or medium level ones like Levein or Burley. The likes of McInnes and Clarke arent any better thought of than the above 2 at the time of their appointments.

Absolutely bang on! 👍

My choice not that anybody cares would be Super Ally.  International Experience 60 plus caps scored in a competition against switzerland, assistant manager to walter smith when they reached a euro final. Golden boot winner twice, still very aware of players in all leagues due to t.v commitments. If we had him against khazikstan mcgregor would have been involved and defence would have been more organised and Halliday would have come in at left back he had a blinder against Celtic and has been doing well in that position. He has also worked under Souness, Craig Brown etc. More than likely has back room would be strong not wee guys like Fuddy.

11 minutes ago, bigfathagiz said:

My choice not that anybody cares would be Super Ally.  International Experience 60 plus caps scored in a competition against switzerland, assistant manager to walter smith when they reached a euro final. Golden boot winner twice, still very aware of players in all leagues due to t.v commitments. If we had him against khazikstan mcgregor would have been involved and defence would have been more organised and Halliday would have come in at left back he had a blinder against Celtic and has been doing well in that position. He has also worked under Souness, Craig Brown etc. More than likely has back room would be strong not wee guys like Fuddy.

Its not that nobody cares but that is a brutal suggestion. Absolutely brutal. 

22 hours ago, Diamond Scot said:

He is very impressive in this piece and without doubt could call upon Sir Alex whenever he wanted to. I would be slightly more aggressive and ask him to involve Sir Alex in any capacity he wishes whoever it suits either of them. Even having him along to training or on a match day would boost the entire setup and squad.