Next Manager? - Page 7 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Manager?

JECK

2 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

Would he really command their respect?  He's the old breed of manager which todays snowflakes would run and hide from. 

Demand was the word i used, and i am sure there would be more respect than there seems to be now and i doubt we would have as much club over country as we have now. Then again I doubt he will ever be a Scotland manager so we will never know. 

On 3/21/2019 at 6:09 PM, ErsatzThistle said:

"I dinnae want a foreigner. We had one before and it didn't work. We have oor great Scottish traditions ye know. Aye, we always hire a real braveheart from amongst oor ain." 

:hammer:

Last time we got to the playoffs wee Bertie was the manager and we beat Netherlands at home in the first leg. Which manager since has got us that close? No one, so a proven international manager is welcome in my book.

3 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t understand that. He’d be getting a young squad of promising players, that a good manager should be able to shape into a team that can qualify for tournaments. Why wouldn’t a good Scottish manager take it? 

Suppose it depends on your perspective. I see a group of players that couldn't be less committed. That, alongside  a SFA that is rotten to the core makes me think Clarke would have very good reason to pass.

4 hours ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t understand that. He’d be getting a young squad of promising players, that a good manager should be able to shape into a team that can qualify for tournaments. Why wouldn’t a good Scottish manager take it? 

you'd hope,  if offered the job, he'd demand and be given whatever control and support he asked. To make the job a serious one once more,and overseeing whatever about the whole setup. Someone with vision and clout could turn the job into one others would covet. 

2 hours ago, exile said:

Would anyone have Strachan back? 💭

A tough one to be honest, I said when he was sacked he deserved to be, but was severely concerned with with the replacement - now proven inadequate.  He was given one more campaign I would have been OK with that, as I felt he did learn plenty over his years.  Severely stubborn but maybe has the same faults as McLeish in that he is not very tactically astute.  Compared with McLeish...yes I'd prefer Strachan, instead of a young Manager more in tune with the modern game net absolutely not.  

I would consider D McInnes, Steve Clarke, Alex Neil, Chris Hughton or maybe even try and tempt Rafa Benitez.  Bobby Williamson and Sam Allaydrce as outsiders. 

Edited by romanticscot

Just was looking at Alex Neil , McInnes and Steve Clarke, Neil is 1 point off a play off spot in the English championship, I cant see him walking away from that but if that doesnt work out and we have an opening in the summer, I would hope he would listen, his win percentage is very consistent and seems a very competent coach.  Derek McInnes likely see's a Rangers job as part of his future and I can't see Gerrard lasing beyond next summer, I dont tihnk he would be tempted by the national job.  This leaves Steve Clarke who might have taken Kilmarnock as far as he can, the national job would raise his profile as a likely job down south will be in his future. 

Another question is if SFA/anyone would consider winning our Nations League group was enough to stave off the sack now. SFA may think as long as play off chance still exists McLeish is safe? But that could write off a whole campaign...

I think things not so pessimistic since we drew (and manager seemingly happy with)  nil nil at home to Serbia. 

17 hours ago, romanticscot said:

Just was looking at Alex Neil , McInnes and Steve Clarke, Neil is 1 point off a play off spot in the English championship, I cant see him walking away from that but if that doesnt work out and we have an opening in the summer, I would hope he would listen, his win percentage is very consistent and seems a very competent coach.  Derek McInnes likely see's a Rangers job as part of his future and I can't see Gerrard lasing beyond next summer, I dont tihnk he would be tempted by the national job.  This leaves Steve Clarke who might have taken Kilmarnock as far as he can, the national job would raise his profile as a likely job down south will be in his future. 

I see some papers linking Stevie Clarke to the Fulham job.  Could happen although Scott Parker doing reasonably as caretaker and Fulham fans would probably be happy with him as boss when they start life in the Championship. Owners might prefer more experienced manager to get them back up, hence mention of Clarke.

Clarke and mcinnes don’t want the job. Take a gamble on Darren Fletcher. He’s done it all as a player and unlike McLeish,would get the respect from the players. 

Pick the right players, get the best out of them. Ffs it’s not really that hard a gig. 

Not getting to the Euros when they are getting played at Hampden , with the easy route we’ve got ,doesn’t bear thinking about.

No chance of getting there with dinosaurs like McLeish and Grant

There are so many crap managers out there.  I'd say 50% actually make the team worse.  We need someone who has shown they can get more out of the players than those before them.

So for me : Steve Clarke (I mean what he has done at killie is unbelievable.)

Why wouldn't he want the job?

I think MO'Neil would be great for both of us, but he I imagine won't turn his back on his country.

Its a shame one of our big beasts couldn't have taken the job at the end of their careers...……...Ferguson and Smith (They would have both got us there 100%)

This could be mental, but I would imagine Alex Ferguson might just be tempted for his love of Darren Fletcher to take a role should that be something that transpires. Fergie would answer the call regardless if he was paid for it or not with Darren.  I think its time for youth someone with fresh ideas to make sense of our young squad. Mcfadden's involvement seems nonsensical to me, but Fletcher he was a leader on the park and a model professional.

I hope by this time next month McLeish moves on, I wish no ill towards the man, I bet there would be an Scottish Championship team who would take him a similar path to what Lennon did, fair play to Lennon who didn't see that league beneath him, an ICT or a Dundee Utd who may see themselves as having Scottish Premiership ambition and McLeish may want to get into day to day management.  

The SFA board meet next month I believe, so what will it take for our voices to be heard? 

12 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

This could be mental, but I would imagine Alex Ferguson might just be tempted for his love of Darren Fletcher to take a role should that be something that transpires. Fergie would answer the call regardless if he was paid for it or not with Darren.  I think its time for youth someone with fresh ideas to make sense of our young squad. 

It could work, but you've picked the wrong 'Darren'. I'm sure Peterborough would be open to offers Come on, SFA, go for it ...

I would love to see Darren Fletcher go into coaching. He is articulate, well respected and I believe would be a fantastic man manager. I love listening to him in the studio. He talks so much sense and just seems to cut through all the shit to get to the basics. Last night he was very critical of us playing with 4 defenders and 1 striker. It’s not rocket science but at least he sees it and says it (he’d be good at Catchphrase!).

I’d love to see the SFA take a punt on a young guy like Fletcher or maybe even Jack Ross if he continues his good work so far. Give them a 5 year contract, say start from scratch son and we’ll back you all the way no matter what. If it hasn’t worked out after 5 years then we’ll say our goodbyes. No hard feelings. 

I think we are now at the stage where nobody of any merit would want to have the SFA as their employer. Which really only leaves the desperate / unemployed to choose from.

Everyman and his dog in the football world know fine well the SFA are one of the most pathetic organisations going.

2 hours ago, Marky said:

I’d love to see the SFA take a punt on a young guy like Fletcher

Can't support that. I don't want our national side to be a test bed for random players who got a few caps to see whether they can make it as managers. It should mean more than that and demand a higher quality.

7 minutes ago, andyD said:

Can't support that. I don't want our national side to be a test bed for random players who got a few caps to see whether they can make it as managers. It should mean more than that and demand a higher quality.

Yeah coz the approach of appointing “established” managers has worked so well.