Next Manager? - Page 6 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Next Manager?

JECK

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

I'd consider Souness, if only to scare the players into giving a crap.

Could you imagine any of our current players saying boo to him? 

I am sure he would demand and get more respect but I believe he has ruled himself out of the running in the past.

9 minutes ago, robbo cop said:

I am sure he would demand and get more respect but I believe he has ruled himself out of the running in the past.

Would he really command their respect?  He's the old breed of manager which todays snowflakes would run and hide from. 

1 hour ago, er yir macaroon said:

Why not just get Steve Clarke?

Fine by me. But would he take it now, is now the right time for him? The above was on the assumption that was not possible 

For the avoidance of doubt, I would take him in an instant.  

Edited by exile

19 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Sir Alex as a mentor. He would love it as a swansong helping to lead Scotland to Euro 2020 (which is still well within the realms of possibility if we ditch Big Eck).

No manager with proven experience at top level and who isnt past it is going to touch the job. So rather than going for another Big Eck go for someone completely different end of scale. 

It's a plausible idea, but given the state we're in at the moment I can see it ending up like the Steve Staunton/Bobby Robson experiment the Republic of Ireland tried a few years ago.

I get the feeling the SFA see Scot Gemmill as our Gareth Southgate.  :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, exile said:

Fine by me. But would he take it now, is now the right time for him? The above was on the assumption that was not possible 

For the avoidance of doubt, I would take him in an instant.  

Well he seems set on moving back to England (not a problem for a Scotland manager). We might as well go for him before the ends up at Blackburn or the like. 

19 hours ago, Gala Tartan Army (Borders) said:

Sir Alex as a mentor. He would love it as a swansong helping to lead Scotland to Euro 2020 (which is still well within the realms of possibility if we ditch Big Eck).

No manager with proven experience at top level and who isnt past it is going to touch the job. So rather than going for another Big Eck go for someone completely different end of scale. 

Got any proof for that statement ? 

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

Well he seems set on moving back to England (not a problem for a Scotland manager). We might as well go for him before the ends up at Blackburn or the like. 

Yes the trick is to get a manager at just the right time.

Like, before the great Premiership hopes - Moyes, Lambert, McLeish himself - once upon a time - seen too big/too soon for Scotland become too old/too shite! 

7 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

Clarke would be an excellent appointment but I seriously doubt the SFA would approach him and even if they did I reckon he'd turn it down.  And who could blame him?  Clarke's stint at Killie has raised his profile massively - why put that on the line to take on a Scotland side in freefall?

Edited by scotlad

Just now, scotlad said:

Clarke would be an excellent appointment but I seriously doubt the SFA would approach him and even if they did I reckon he'd turn it down.  And who could blame him?  Clarke's stint at Killie has raised his profile massively and managing Scotland at the moment is career suicide.

It has raised his profile in Scotland massively, certainly, but if he is aiming for getting back into the English Premiership big time I'd have thought he would need another even higher profile stepping stone in between, whether Championship, Scotland or Old Firm. 

Anyway I agree what matters is what SC wants and what SFA could/would actually do.

9 minutes ago, scotlad said:

Clarke would be an excellent appointment but I seriously doubt the SFA would approach him and even if they did I reckon he'd turn it down.  And who could blame him?  Clarke's stint at Killie has raised his profile massively - why put that on the line to take on a Scotland side in freefall?

I don’t see why he wouldn’t take it. He’d look at players like Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, Fraser and Gilmour and think he could get us qualified for a finals. 

3 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I don’t see why he wouldn’t take it. He’d look at players like Robertson, Tierney, McTominay, Fraser and Gilmour and think he could get us qualified for a finals. 

None of whom started on Thursday,  which will bring us back to doh a deer, a female deer

Just now, er yir macaroon said:

Would they interfere that much? I doubt it. The players got a luxury plane to travel in this time, so it’s not like it’s blazers in business class anymore. Malky Mackay has improved that part. 

fair enough, he would be my first choice as manager if/when McLiesh gets the bullet. 

I don't think they will sack McLiesh because its so early in the campaign

5 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

If we could field a side of players of that quality we'd be strong contenders for qualification.  No question.  The trouble is, for every Fraser, Robertson or Tierney we have a Bates, an O'Donnell and a Palmer.  Any team is only strong as it its weakest link and we have several, particularly in defence.

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

would Clarke want to work with the shower of shit that is the SFA? 

Indeed!  :lol:

10 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

fair enough, he would be my first choice as manager if/when McLiesh gets the bullet. 

I don't think they will sack McLiesh because its so early in the campaign

I fear the campaign will be over before that decision is made. It more or less is barring two wins against Russia. 

9 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I fear the campaign will be over before that decision is made. It more or less is barring two wins against Russia. 

It seems to be ALWAYS this way! Well, in the Levein case anyway....

Clarke would surely consider it, even if his ambitions are the premiership in England. Brendan Rodgers won everything up here and still only got offered the Leicester job, so realistically clarke’s not going to go from killie to a prem team, whereas a successful stint with Scotland would help massively.

failing Clarke I’d go for McInnes. He’s gone a bit stale at the dons but his biggest failing is in his signings, which wouldn’t be a problem at international level. His players seem to love him so we would hopefully see an improvement in the call off rate, and he’s been very good at getting his teams to beat the teams they should. Not been so great in games against Celtic overall but if Scotland were in a position where we could only complain about losing to the big teams then I think we’d be doing pretty well.

56 minutes ago, er yir macaroon said:

I think he will be given more time not only due to SFAs past handling of managers but also because if the campaign continues to go badly the argument is going to be made that due to the Nations League we're still only a couple of games away from qualification.

21 minutes ago, Morrisandmoo said:

Clarke will not take the job. Not a chance. He'll finish his contract with killie then head down south. 

I don’t understand that. He’d be getting a young squad of promising players, that a good manager should be able to shape into a team that can qualify for tournaments. Why wouldn’t a good Scottish manager take it?