Our worst ever result? - Page 2 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Our worst ever result?

Burj_Alba

I guess it depends what you mean by worst result. I tend to think of ones that actually dump us out, or as good as. I am thinking of maybe Peru in 78, or even Iran, which wasn't even a defeat, but felt like as good as dumping us out. I know Peru were a good side, but it was still a game were were (supposedly) supposed to win. I can't help it, I just feel so used to disappointment now that it does not feel as bad as when expectations were much higher.   

3 hours ago, macy37 said:

Piss off with this horrible surface pish. They’re professional sportsmen ffs. 

If you asked a golfer or a cricketer to play on AstroTurf they’d tell you to fuck off. People like you seem to think football exists in a bubble where the surface of play doesn’t affect the type of game you’re likely to play.

Tennis players might be happy to play on different surfaces but it always suits certain players etc.

2 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

If you asked a golfer or a cricketer to play on AstroTurf they’d tell you to fuck off. People like you seem to think football exists in a bubble where the surface of play doesn’t affect the type of game you’re likely to play.

Tennis players might be happy to play on different surfaces but it always suits certain players etc.

Lets see how this ages when the Russians and the Belgians play on the same surface. 

10 minutes ago, romanticscot said:

Lets see how this ages when the Russians and the Belgians play on the same surface. 

Let’s read my original post first then see how your own post ages. I don’t think international football should be played on AstroTurf but it’s not the reason we lost tonight. It’s a horrible surface to play football on.

6 hours ago, BraveheartGordon said:

Give over. They’ve all got experience of it. With that many in mind I take it they’ll be absolutely hopeless on grass then?

11 hours ago, romanticscot said:

If anyone is traveling on Sunday, please make an effort to be noticed that we don't want Eck.  

This. They should picket the SFA's swanky hotel as well, make it uncomfortable for these wankers. I'd lay odds most of them will spend all day getting pished and posting selfies on Facebook though!

Worst ever by a distance...

...aye, we've had some shitey results in our time. Costa Rica and Iran are two that continue to get chucked up, but these results were at World Cups. We've been utterly boabied last night by a team ranked 100+...3 fucking-nil, and it could've been more.

Total and utter disgrace, and anybody that continues to show their support for the total ineptitude of our national team, is part of the problem, and also wants their head fucking read.

14 hours ago, Toepoke said:

It's definitely right up there with the very worst. Will reserve complete judgement til we see how the Russians get on there on Sunday.

I thought you were going to say that you'll reserve complete judgement until after San Marino play Scotland on Sunday.....!

Suppose it depends how you view it. I view it like this.  Last night was on a plastic pitch in their home ground, we are ranked 40th in world, we have no players in the team that played last night with top class european experience,  apart from maybe Forest and mcGregor but even this is at a basic level where the team they play for were beaten by teams from Kazahkstan,  we had players earning first caps and no one with vast international experience, its the beginning of the campaign so all is not lost. Saying all that we should have won.  Compare that with defeat against Peru and a draw against Iran in world cup in 78 these were teams who had no players playing in any major team in Europe and both ranked way below Scotland. Our team at the time had defeated England at Wembley it was full of European cup winners from Nottingham Forest and Liverpool we had European player of the year in Dalgleish and a Scotland squad made up of players playing at the highest level such as Joe Jordan who was with Man Utd who went on to play for Milan. Also these games were played in a neutral venue and games that could have taken us into the play offs of the world cup. I for one felt distraught at those results but last night i was upset but to be honest i could see it coming.

Here's a graph that shows all the game Scotland's ever played. This shows the change in points using the ELO ratings (http://www.eloratings.net/), with all games having the same weight (World Cup games provide the same maximum points change as Friendly matches, instead of three times more). The calculation can be read about here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings#Calculation_principles

The lower down the graph, the worse the result.

ogoVQ5X.png

Kazakhstan are the weakest side we've ever lost to and is our fourth worst defeat ever on this metric (behind defeats to England (1888), Wales (1932) and Ireland (1903)).

1 minute ago, Clyde1998 said:

Here's a graph that shows all the game Scotland's ever played. This shows the change in points using the ELO ratings (http://www.eloratings.net/), with all games having the same weight (World Cup games provide the same maximum points change as Friendly matches, instead of three times more). The calculation can be read about here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Football_Elo_Ratings#Calculation_principles

The lower down the graph, the worse the result.

ogoVQ5X.png

Kazakhstan are the weakest side we've ever lost to and is our fourth worst defeat ever on this metric (behind defeats to England (1888), Wales (1932) and Ireland (1903)).

"Noo just haud on a minute, them Kazakh's played really well and we actually played not too badly sometimes, we just couldnae get a wee goal neither we could. It's aw a fuss about nothing. Waur the feck am I ?" - A. McLeish 2019

22 minutes ago, bonny78 said:

Maybe time for a uk team and we ll dissolve the n Ireland, wales, England and Scotland. ?? 

You might be on to something Bonny!   

Ach, I’m only joking...  got to love a bit of sport.

having said that, a British league would be good.

3 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

You might be on to something Bonny!   

Ach, I’m only joking...  got to love a bit of sport.

having said that, a British league would be good.

Em, no.

Everything "British" should be flushed down the toilet where it belongs.