Kazakhstan vs Scotland - Match Thread [21/03/2019] - Page 14 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kazakhstan vs Scotland - Match Thread [21/03/2019]

Clyde1998

2 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

When did we last play the formation you are advocating? Didn't we play a three at the back against Israel (although it was a 5) and we conceded 25 shots on goal!!

a 1-2 absolute doing.

People keep coming to that match, but do you honestly think we would've won in Israel playing 4 at the back? I highly doubt it.

Yeah, you're just mentioning one match. You can't play a certain way for 18 years, change it and expect instant results.

Your point may be valid if we had played 3-5-2 for 18 years and failed, but we haven't. We've played it 5 times in 18 years. And one of those times was a 2-2 draw against England.

12 minutes ago, Chripper said:

People keep coming to that match, but do you honestly think we would've won in Israel playing 4 at the back? I highly doubt it.

Yeah, you're just mentioning one match. You can't play a certain way for 18 years, change it and expect instant results.

Your point may be valid if we had played 3-5-2 for 18 years and failed, but we haven't. We've played it 5 times in 18 years. And one of those times was a 2-2 draw against England.

Yeah, you are right, only tried it briefly.  But what about it being more 5-3-2.  With maybe a player who can hold it up, up front.  Do we have a striker/forward who can be a physical presence, I don't think we do.

Like the 5 more because I feel the wingbacks in midfield get exposed out wide, like for the goal by kane that ruined a lifetimes rewatching of that game.

12 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

Yeah, you are right, only tried it briefly.  But what about it being more 5-3-2.  With maybe a player who can hold it up, up front.  Do we have a striker/forward who can be a physical presence, I don't think we do.

Like the 5 more because I feel the wingbacks in midfield get exposed out wide, like for the goal by kane that ruined a lifetimes rewatching of that game.

That's the thing that annoys me, a few months ago McLeish was adamant that we'd play with 3-5-2... and then after a few lukewarm performances he ditched it. It would probably be a 3-5-2 when we're attacking and 5-3-2 when we don't have the ball, like Kazakhstan done today. Weirdly enough, they reminded me of what we used to do to teams.

Ummm… no. People keep raving about McBurnie, but people have to understand that this is pretty much his first full season of playing regularly with Swansea. He has a lot to learn. But no, I can't think of a physical presence. That's another reason I feel that it would be best to play two up front, because we don't really have a top striker so we need to play two in order to lighten the workload.

That's the thing, when we're attacking from either end, the opposite wingback can tuck inside and form a back 4 with the three center backs, like pulling a piece of string.

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

Formations are not the problem.... pish players are

Won't get any argument, but it's one way of bridging the gap.

Look at Kazakhstan today, they're not as talented as us, but the organization, the passion and the structure they was the deciding factor. You can tell that they've worked on the formation and tactics for a while.

1 hour ago, Chripper said:

That's the thing that annoys me, a few months ago McLeish was adamant that we'd play with 3-5-2... and then after a few lukewarm performances he ditched it. It would probably be a 3-5-2 when we're attacking and 5-3-2 when we don't have the ball, like Kazakhstan done today. Weirdly enough, they reminded me of what we used to do to teams.

Ummm… no. People keep raving about McBurnie, but people have to understand that this is pretty much his first full season of playing regularly with Swansea. He has a lot to learn. But no, I can't think of a physical presence. That's another reason I feel that it would be best to play two up front, because we don't really have a top striker so we need to play two in order to lighten the workload.

That's the thing, when we're attacking from either end, the opposite wingback can tuck inside and form a back 4 with the three center backs, like pulling a piece of string.

I would like to see us having a go at 5-3-2 after seeing tonight where they have all the space in the world to attack and our attack is completely nulled against their team.

So I know you are advocating 3-5-2, but as I say I think the wingback midfielders get caught out, I would like three genuine centrebacks, that means no Tierney in back3.

What about something like this using the players around at the moment.

McGregor ( I cant help it, hes retired but without McLeish in there, he is the best keeper in Europe in my opinion)

Tierney     McKenna      Souttar      Bates      Robertson

Forrest            McGregor           Armstrong

Griffiths                Fletcher(obviously effoff cause you listen to your two bit manager about playing for your eng club over Scotland)

(But he is our only target man I think)

I like a big guy and a mobile poacher like rangers had with mccoist and hately or celtic had with Sutton and larsson

5-3-2 was played by some great teams like: Germany 90's, Croatia 98, Italy2000, Brazil 2002 and Holland at 2014...………….oh and Scotland under craig Brown in the 90's...…..Glory years??

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Formations are not the problem.... pish players are

Disagree completely. There are so many examples of average players performing well above their level  Look at Clarke at Killie, O'Neill at NI.

Edited by chris182

1 hour ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I would like to see us having a go at 5-3-2 after seeing tonight where they have all the space in the world to attack and our attack is completely nulled against their team.

So I know you are advocating 3-5-2, but as I say I think the wingback midfielders get caught out, I would like three genuine centrebacks, that means no Tierney in back3.

What about something like this using the players around at the moment.

McGregor ( I cant help it, hes retired but without McLeish in there, he is the best keeper in Europe in my opinion)

Tierney     McKenna      Souttar      Bates      Robertson

Forrest            McGregor           Armstrong

Griffiths                Fletcher(obviously effoff cause you listen to your two bit manager about playing for your eng club over Scotland)

(But he is our only target man I think)

I like a big guy and a mobile poacher like rangers had with mccoist and hately or celtic had with Sutton and larsson

5-3-2 was played by some great teams like: Germany 90's, Croatia 98, Italy2000, Brazil 2002 and Holland at 2014...………….oh and Scotland under craig Brown in the 90's...…..Glory years??

I stopped reading after McGregor is the best keeper in Europe, I’m sure the rest was really interesting though. 

8 hours ago, SWMM82 said:

Even more frustrated sitting through this Northern Ireland game...... lack of quality and some very limited players, but getting the job done by showing a bit of desire and organisation....

Northern Ireland have something Scotland dont have - Togetherness, team spirit and players who want to be there. We dont, we have a bunch of fucking wimps on and off the park who see Scotland as a hindrance. 

I had a look at northern Ireland line up, it's no better than ours on paper but they get results.

34 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Northern Ireland have something Scotland dont have - Togetherness, team spirit and players who want to be there. We dont, we have a bunch of fucking wimps on and off the park who see Scotland as a hindrance. 

I had a look at northern Ireland line up, it's no better than ours on paper but they get results.

And yet we were always admired for playing for your country, pride in wearing the shirt.

Sorry, but just didn't see any players who looked like they didn't care.

I did see a group of players who looked ill prepared, shell-shocked, disjointed, disorganised and lacking leadership. Only one place to lay the blame for that I'm afraid. 😞

Edited by slasher

7 minutes ago, slasher said:

I did see a group of players who looked ill prepared, shell-shocked, disjointed, disorganised and lacking leadership. Only one place to lay the blame for that I'm afraid. 😞

Horses for courses. I saw the opposite. Not moving into space. Standing with a Kazakh in front of them when we are on the ball (effectively removinglemeselves from the game). No communication, no going radge at team mates. No passion.

J

Just watched the highlights. I know folk are saying that with the players on the park were good enough to win the game and it doesn't matter that we've had loads of injuries but the difference between Tierney/robbo and shinnie/palmer is the same as the difference between Liverpool and Luton Town.

Going forward this should be the team and one I think is good enough to qualify....

Bain

Tierney –Mckenna–Souttar–Robbo

Mgregor      McTominay

Forrest             Christie                   Fraser

Griffiths/fletcher

2 hours ago, Hertsscot said:

And yet we were always admired for playing for your country, pride in wearing the shirt.

Where do people get this nonsense ? I’d say the opposite is true. As a nation, both on and off the park, we are surely among the biggest shitebags in the world. 

Edited by Jim Beem

4 hours ago, vanderark14 said:

2 hours ago, slasher said:

Exactly, a bunch of shitebags!!  We are run by a bunch of 50-70 year olds who probably were disappointed last night but its now onto our next jolly in Rimini now.  Our players look like they only care when its easy (Rarity), and a manager who seems to be insanely deluded.  (They are on fire, started well 0-2!!!!!, we can still qualify, not under you yah useless bawbag!)

We have Bournemouth telling us who we can play.  I actually think the suits, the players, the manager believe it would be nice to qualify but if we don't it doesn't matter.  They just go back to watching their favourite English team.  I mean there are players in the Scotland squad who probably havnt ever watched a Scotland game!!

I was trying to make the point, that for the last 20 years our whole football system is run by these 50-70 year olds who feel British not Scottish.  They look at eng and think lets copy them, please lets go our own way!!!  Can we not have some players, suits and a manager who LIVE, WORK IN and are PASSIONATE about Scotland.  Oh and maybe some players who want to be there and sing the anthem.  

Plus only the celtic boys play for a team that must win games and trophies.  All, the others play for middle teams where winning ever other game is good.  I think Rangers demotion really hurt our national team.

8 minutes ago, ScotlandWintheWorldCup said:

I was trying to make the point, that for the last 20 years our whole football system is run by these 50-70 year olds who feel British not Scottish.  They look at eng and think lets copy them, please lets go our own way!!!  Can we not have some players, suits and a manager who LIVE, WORK IN and are PASSIONATE about Scotland.  Oh and maybe some players who want to be there and sing the anthem.  

Plus only the celtic boys play for a team that must win games and trophies.  All, the others play for middle teams where winning ever other game is good.  I think Rangers demotion really hurt our national team.

Rangers weren't 'demoted' bud

can we just wrap this patter about us having pish players.  It's just not true.

We have better players than NI and Kazakhstan and they're getting results.

Usually I'd be all for making excuses but it's fact we have players at the top of their game in Scotland and down South.  

They should be able to make a decent fist of qualification in the group and certainly in the NL.

It's a lack of motivation, leadership and tactics that are doing us here.  There's never been a clearer example of a manager not getting the best out of the players available.

Edited by PapofGlencoe

17 hours ago, daviebee said:

4-4-2... 3-5-2... 

That's got fck all to do with it. You could play "2-4-6-8 it's never too late" and it wouldn't matter as long as you've got a clueless, jobs-for-the-boys dinosaur in charge that nobody else would touch with a fkin bargepole.

We DON'T have bad players.  We don't have great ones either.  There's no Law, Bremner or Dalglish.  FFS there's no even a McAllister, Lambert or Collins, but what we do have is a group of solid professionals who could and should be organised to look like they didn't just meet each other on the plane across.  Ones who shouldn't be getting outplayed and out-classed by teams dozens of places below them in the rankings.

Israel have an Austrian manager who I'm pretty sure isn't fluent in Hebrew. Kazakhstan have one from the Czech Republic who I'm sure doesn't speak whatever the fck they speak over there.  How then can we not get someone, ANYONE, in a world of billions of folk to organise us into a solid, cohesive unit like they can???

Withdrawals, retirements, "I need a rest," "I cannae play in case I skin ma fkin knee on the plastic..."  That's what we've fkin ended up with. :mad: 

Great post agree 100% 

Spot on that post tbh. There has been so many doubts surrounding McLeish and I'm afraid that game there just proves he hasn't got what it takes. I am 100 percent confident a Steve Clarke or Davie Moyes would have at least had us working as a unit and looking like a team that knows and understands the roles and system they are supposed to be playing. Everything was a mess nothing was organised we had players floating about wherever they pleased there was no structure no identity no obvious tactics or way of playing. Defence was a shambles unorganised, midfield equally as bad, zero balance in midfield no protection for the defence and no support for the striker. Had no clue what to do faced with Kazakhstans five at the back. No leaders on the pitch or off it