Kazakhstan vs Scotland - Match Thread [21/03/2019] - Page 13 - TA specific - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

Kazakhstan vs Scotland - Match Thread [21/03/2019]

Clyde1998

I am so raging with that performance today. It even eclipses my ire at wasting a day’s annual leave to sit in a pub full of Rangers fans who could barely disguise their glee at ‘Team SFA’ losing against such a lowly-ranked team. Of course the manager must take responsibility, but so should those players who called off during an international break that unusually occurred at the business end of their club’s seasons. Most of all I’m angered at a group of players, many of whom were not first choice and could have staked a claim by dint of a good performance, who couldn’t muster the slightest hint of a fight back when we went behind.  

16 minutes ago, dandydunn said:

I agree he isn’t a fullback, but that’s where he had to play. He’s probably played that position half a dozen times in the last 3 years, hence why  I find your attack on him being at fault all the more bizarre. 

That doesn’t make any difference to sod being pish though. 

And there it is in a nutshell.Their coach saw Shinnie as the weakest link and played on to it superbly. our "coach"  probably had never watched Kazakhstan and had no idea where their weak points were. Fuucking hell, they are 117 in the world. Of course they had weak points. high ball to their central defenders all night.

2 minutes ago, daviebee said:

Did you see us playing 3 at the back against Israel? If they could've finished then that would've been a cricket score.  What was the common denominator between that game and this one?  Let's see...

Oh. My. God. 

People really can't see the big picture, can they? What part of "Give 3-5-2 two years" didn't you understand?

We've played with 4 for 18 years.

2 minutes ago, Chripper said:

Oh. My. God. 

People really can't see the big picture, can they? What part of "Give 3-5-2 two years" didn't you understand?

We've played with 4 for 18 years.

We have 2 class players and it's unfortunate for us that they both play the same position. However, you want to nullify the both of them with your 3-5-2 obsession!

TBH I don't really give a flying rat's arse what formation we play (other than 4-6-0!).  I just want us to be organised and look like we know/care what we're doing.  That won't happen under the present management.

9 minutes ago, Potted Heid said:

I am so raging with that performance today. It even eclipses my ire at wasting a day’s annual leave to sit in a pub full of Rangers fans who could barely disguise their glee at ‘Team SFA’ losing against such a lowly-ranked team. Of course the manager must take responsibility, but so should those players who called off during an international break that unusually occurred at the business end of their club’s seasons. Most of all I’m angered at a group of players, many of whom were not first choice and could have staked a claim by dint of a good performance, who couldn’t muster the slightest hint of a fight back when we went behind.  

Those people aren't real football fans. I even wish we didn't have to share a country with them. Sadly such idiocy is trendy in some circles these days.

Edited by stactuso85

1 minute ago, daviebee said:

We have 2 class players and it's unfortunate for us that they both play the same position. However, you want to nullify the both of them with your 3-5-2 obsession!

TBH I don't really give a flying rat's arse what formation we play (other than 4-6-0!).  I just want us to be organised and look like we know/care what we're doing.  That won't happen under the present management.

Obsession? You mean the obsession that 100% of the people here (who isn't me) has with 4-2-3-1?

I agree with you there. I don't care about what formation we play, as long as we qualify for something. BUT... with our current squad, we'd be harder to break down with 3 at the back. What center backs have we produced since the mid 90s that was really top notch? Colin Hendry. That's it. 

4 minutes ago, stactuso85 said:

Those people aren't real football fans. I even wish we didn't have to share a country with them. Sadly such idiocy is trendy in some circles these days.

And it's not limited to rangers fans, guaranteed there will be fans of all clubs, even if its minority, they will still take pleasure in tonight's result. It's not something I understand

2 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

And it's not limited to rangers fans, guaranteed there will be fans of all clubs, even if its minority, they will still take pleasure in tonight's result. It's not something I understand

True, wasn't intentionally singling out one club team, the idiots are everywhere unfortunately.

2 minutes ago, stactuso85 said:

True, wasn't intentionally singling out one club team, the idiots are everywhere unfortunately.

I'm an Aberdeen fan and I know for a fact there are a few Aberdeen fans who will be revelling in this. Of course , they'd jump on the band wagon if Scotland ever qualified for anything 🤣

59 minutes ago, Burj_Alba said:

I also think the guaranteed play off is a noose round our neck. I predict EVERY single player will be available for those games so whats the point of plastic pitches or San Marino. Most will be up for the Belgium match as it will put them in the transfer window if they do well.  The players have not become bad overnight but will all the drop outs/ changes, we needed someone to take control and find a system that works. Unfortunately the bloke in charge is light years away from being that person. And hasn't since about 2010.

Was saying that to my Old Man. They’ed be busting a gut if we were away to Belgium today. 

Its simply not professional. Have some pride in your work. Especially as you are representing your country!

J

Scotland suffered a disappointing 3-0 defeat to Kazakhstan in their opening UEFA EURO 2020 Qualifier in Astana, as their hosts emerged victorious in the first-ever meeting between the two nations.

Under the closed roof of the Astana Arena, Scotland’s vocal travelling supporters were silenced by an early Kazakhstan blow. A lofted ball over the top saw Yuriy Pertsukh spring the offside trap, the midfielder composing himself before lashing the ball past Scott Bain for the opening goal of the game.

It got worse for Scotland just three minutes later. A slide-rule pass from captain Islambek Kuat found Yan Vorogovskiy, who remained composed to hold off the on coming challenge of Graeme Shinnie and double the hosts’ advantage.

Scotland rallied, with Oli Burke looking lively on his first appearance since his recall to the squad. A burst from the on-loan Celtic winger earned his team a corner, from which David Bates glanced a header wide of the mark.

Pushing for the next goal, McLeish’s men were dominating possession as they probed for a way through the Kazakhstan defence. Stuart Armstrong’s cross caused havoc in the penalty area, before Liam Palmer’s effort was blocked by a host of defenders.

Yet the home side remained a threat on the break, as Kuat proved on 28 minutes. The Kazakhstan captain let fly with a rasping 30 yard drive aimed at the top corner, requiring Bain to produce an acrobatic one-handed save to turn the ball over the top.

Still Scotland came forward as the half wore on, as they looked for a foothold in proceedings, John McGinn testing the goalkeeper with a long-range drive in an attempt to find a breakthrough before the interval.

HALF TIME | Kazakhstan 2 - 0 Scotland

Two goals in the opening 10 minutes for the home side leave Scotland with it all to do in this second half. #KAZSCO

However, an already tall mountain for Scotland to climb grew in stature just five minutes after the restart. With time and space in the wide channel, Gafurzhan Suyumbayev picked out Baktiyar Zaynutdinov in the penalty area. The Rostov striker’s header sailed beyond Bain’s reach, making the task for McLeish’s side that much more difficult and sending the home fans into delirium.

The perfect response was almost delivered with Scotland’s next attack. Good interplay from Oli McBurnie and Stuart Armstrong saw the Southampton midfielder break into the box, with only a strong save denying Scotland from opening their account.

McBurnie’s industry created his side’s next chance, as James Forrest was unable to make a strong enough connection with his striker’s knock-down on 56 minutes.

Yet still Scotland could not unlock the Kazakhstan defence, as their hosts continued to frustrate any attempt to breach their defence. Marc McNulty was sent on with 10 minutes remaining for his international debut, in the hope of providing the elusive cutting edge.

It was not to be for McLeish’s side, however, as a Callum McGregor free-kick was beaten away to herald the full-time whistle. With a three day turnaround before their trip to San Marino, the squad will have to put the result behind them as they attempt to bounce back in their second UEFA EURO 2020 Qualifier.

SFA report on today's fucking shambles. I must of been watching another game. Sure as fuck trying to make out it wasn't as bad as it really was. The cunt that wrote this report needs drug testing, he was obviously trippin........

Let’s sit back and take stock of what this result means.

None of our close competition will actually go there and drop points let alone get tanked.

We are dead in the water after game 1.

Absolute laughing stock of international football.

22 minutes ago, vanderark14 said:

Spend 5 minutes on Twitter and you can find it.

Utterly embarrassed to follow Scotland tonight. No excuses, that was a shambles. A number of the players are not good enough and they were exposed.

However, the most inexcusable thing is the players genuinely looked like they couldn't give a fuck. It happens far too often and it is clear that the players don't care about representing their country

5 hours ago, Marky said:

I wouldnae mind if it was one of those days where ye come out all cocky and get yer arse skelped with a couple of quick surprise goals that jolt you into life. Then spend the rest of the half battering them trying to make amends.

Not at all. They are just miles better than us. Comfortably cruising 2-0 up and looking far more likely on their forays forward than we are. 

Anyone under any illusion that we’re coming back here is off their head. 3-0 FT I’d say.

I know, they go 0-2 down and its like where is the urgency.  Where are the attempts on goal and pressure on their midfield.

There was none of that. It was like waving them through and saying here's the 3pts for you, we couldn't give a ..

21 minutes ago, weekevie04 said:

McLeish has to go.

Already looking at results in the group e.g 1-1 in Astana on Sunday between Russia and Kazakhstan. 

Has to go, I think this must be our worst defeat ever.  I mean they hadn't beaten anyone in 4 years except Andorra in competitive games and we made them look like France.

Can we sack some of the players too, I mean its McLeishs fault but the players didn't even try.  Passing the ball for absolutely no reason.  Kazakhs get the ball and look like scoring each time.

If we play defensive we cant score, if we play on the front foot we are so high and open at the back.

5 hours ago, Chripper said:

It does look like that. That's the formation coming into force.

When have the ball in midfield they're suffocating us and they're winning it. Every. Single. Time.

But no, according to everyone who isn't me our best formation is a variant of 4-2-3-1.

It's absolute madness that no one is seeing what I'm seeing. 

Come tomorrow everyone will forget about this defeat and still be adamant that we are suited to playing 4 at the back.

When did we last play the formation you are advocating? Didn't we play a three at the back against Israel (although it was a 5) and we conceded 25 shots on goal!!

a 1-2 absolute doing.