New Canadian Premier League - Football related - Discussion of non TA football - Tartan Army Message Board Jump to content

New Canadian Premier League

New league starts in May ; only 7 teams initally ; and seemingly 3rd attempt to get a pro team off the ground here

http://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/

will be well below mls 1 / 2 level ; likely below highland league , but novelty of having some games to watch in the flesh after 13 odd years here is appealing

new 6k stadium just down the road from my end of town too ; showjumping grounds ( is brian irvine still in the game )

sounds like a Cdn FA cup type affair also

( and beer in the stands )

season ticket booked

On 3/15/2019 at 9:58 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

will be well below mls 1 / 2 level ; likely below highland league , but novelty of having some games to watch in the flesh after 13 odd years here is appealing

I think it'll be above Highland League level - probably around mid-to-low Scottish Championship quality based on some of the players that are in the squads of teams.

23 minutes ago, Clyde1998 said:

I think it'll be above Highland League level - probably around mid-to-low Scottish Championship quality based on some of the players that are in the squads of teams.

Just using Football Manager to see how good the players signing for these teams are:

The Canadian MLS sides have players that are, on average, about as good as players such as Lee Wallace, Jordan Archer, Jason Cummings and Jason Holt - with the best players being comparable to Scotland's best players. The average CPL players are about as good as the best players in Scottish League One, with the best CPL players being just below the ability of the average players for Canadian-based MLS sides.

Will hopefully improve as the years go by, especially as the league appears to be promoting youth development.

On 3/15/2019 at 9:58 PM, Auchinyell Sox Change said:

New league starts in May ; only 7 teams initally ; and seemingly 3rd attempt to get a pro team off the ground here

http://cavalryfc.canpl.ca/

new 6k stadium just down the road from my end of town too ; showjumping grounds ( is brian irvine still in the game )

sounds like a Cdn FA cup type affair also

( and beer in the stands )

season ticket booked

Lad and family moving to Calgary from Toronto soon will pass on details.

• 1 month later...

Attended first game on saturday ; 6000 capacity , but lucky if 4000 there ; roadworks, parking chaos etc ; lot of punters arriving near half time ; some turning back( they were charging $10 parking ; stewards using pin machines in vehicle tailbacks - we had a pass but waiting also ) issue is stadium is at back of beyond , add that to driving culture

Hamilton got 18,000 seemingly tho in theyre opening game , them and Winnipeg use their CFL stadia

quality was okay ; is a development league as it goes ; but style of play to me was very repetitive- maybe thats just what everyone tries to emulate these days , death by a hundred passes..

• 2 months later...

So far the league has averaged about 4,400, excluding the ~18,000 opening game, which is roughly comparable with English League Two.

I noticed that two CPL teams drew with Vancouver and Montreal in the Canadian Championship (FA Cup equivalent). Not sure what sort of teams the MLS sides put out, but it suggests the quality isn't too bad in a North American context.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/17/2019 at 12:45 AM, Clyde1998 said:

I noticed that two CPL teams drew with Vancouver and Montreal in the Canadian Championship (FA Cup equivalent). Not sure what sort of teams the MLS sides put out, but it suggests the quality isn't too bad in a North American context.

The CPL league leaders - Cavalry -  went on to knock out Vancouver by winning the away leg of their tie. Vancouver appeared to play a full strength side in both games as well, albeit they are at the bottom end of the MLS. Perhaps it's worth keeping an eye on the league to see if any Scottish players make the move over there in the future.

On 7/16/2019 at 5:45 PM, Clyde1998 said:

So far the league has averaged about 4,400, excluding the ~18,000 opening game, which is roughly comparable with English League Two.

i read somewhere that the Calgary(Cavalry) average attendances are the lowest - several reasons/excuses i could find for this though

i missed the vancouver game as off on hols ; thought after 0-0 home would have no chance

next tie is against montreal impact also of mls - unfortunately they are all 2 legged ties